The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Production Points
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Nut

Production Points

If you produced, made the beat, and engineered several tracks on an album that is going to be distributed what is the average points one would expect?
Is it 3-5 per song or just 3-5 total?
Also how many points is average if you sing/rap on those tracks?
How do you figure out what you should get paid for those points?

Sorry if question was already asked. I'm sure it has been but I tried to do a search and came up empty. Maybe I searched for the wrong thing.
Old 7th May 2006
Where did you get those figures from?

For someone who writes and produces the mixes, those are 'rape' figures.
Hell, they're even lower than performing rights, even at gross.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Mmmm, no not rape, just naive, as there are several issues at stake. If you're a producer, yes, 3-5 points is common. Those points are usually divided amongst the producers on the record and the number of tracks that each producer did.

Now if you created "the beat" and the artist decides this is worth writing (when I was coming up this was just called programming and we got paid a day rate), you are entitled to writing credit and the associated mechanical royalties. About 8.25 cents per song, again divided by the number of writers. If the song is a single you can also expect performance royalties from ASCAP, BMI or SESAC depending on who you've signed up with.

Engineers usually don't get points until you're huge - like Chris and Tom Lord-Alge, JJP, etc.

Usually you get paid based on the retail price of a CD, subject to the same deductions as the artist. It's always spelled out in your producer's agreement with the label.
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

those aren't rape figures - those are separate from your publishing percent. You have to figure the average artist deal gives them 15-20 points or whatever depending on their clout so for them to hack off 1/3-1/4 of their points just for producers is standard. For big artists right now I get 3 points (pro rata) with half point escalations if the record goes gold or platinum, plus half the publishing (sample coming off the top before any split)

it's really hard to calculate how much money you are going to make from your producer points versus your mechanicals. By the way, mechanicals are now $0.09 cents per song split among publishers in the USA and about 2-3 times that in Europe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search