The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best Use Of Vocal Effects In Hip Hop
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Addict

Best Use Of Vocal Effects In Hip Hop

You guys have any favorites ? We all know effects and etc... isn't used much in hip hop well not too the extent that its used in rock anyway, you guys have any good examples of where its used but it suits the song and it doesn't overkill or at least stays within reason.
Old 6th May 2006
i like the pitch shifting in Quasimoto
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Maniac

to me the best efx in hip hop, you don't notice.

I like the up close and personal feel like they're sitting in front of me.

but, I like it when they cut up the vocals in post and sync them to funky breaks.

micah9. prefuse73. dj vadim.
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I really like the reverse vocal, apply reverb, reverse vocal bacl trick, e.g. East Cost West Coast Killa by Dre. you know the one wher the reverb is commin at you on the fron
Old 7th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
I really like the reverse vocal, apply reverb, reverse vocal bacl trick, e.g. East Cost West Coast Killa by Dre. you know the one wher the reverb is commin at you on the fron
I was just going over that technique for the DVD...
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
Yea I agree this can be cool with reverbs, delay, or a combination of both even.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoodler
i like the pitch shifting in Quasimoto
quasimoto is the most annoying **** i've ever heard..........
Old 7th May 2006
Gear Maniac

and quasimoto's the unseen is one of my favorite albums of all time, how wierd.
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Alot of my Dirty South clients like that telephone filter FX thang...kinda over used IMHO....

sdf
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

Timbo is using a flanger sometimes when he's rapping with his low voice. I love it. It's subttle, yet noticeable.

Flangers are the way to go also, with female vocals (Brandy ? Britney ?).
Old 7th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm new here, so "whattup" to everyone. Speaking of flangers, here's a cool little effect that I did on a song by Bad A$$. Somebody swiped the producer's hard drive, so I was stuck with a terrible two-track mix and poorly recorded vocals. I figured adding some cool **** to the vox would help the yin and yang of this particular situation -

http://home.comcast.net/~mixxit.tb/BadAzz.mp3
Old 8th May 2006
Gear Head

Doesn't really fit into hip hop, but the V-sytnth on Michael Jackson's Dangerous (Rodney Jerkins).
Old 10th May 2006
Gear Nut

t.dizzle sounds good :D
Old 10th May 2006
Lives for gear

what about the song 'live now' on nas' last album where he is pitch-shifted and rhymes as "Scarlett"
Old 11th May 2006
tsd
Gear Maniac

not and effect as such, but...

the MOST important vocal technique by far... the double track.
Old 11th May 2006
Tempo sync'd delay, can work well in helping rap vocals to sit, don't over do it though.
Old 11th May 2006
Here for the gear

I'd never heard of that reverse reverb technique!! had a go and it sounds pretty sweet! have to go easy on the reverb though, might use it for a few bars or something. Reminds me of a horror film trailer or something like that, adds an element of confusion
Old 11th May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jx23
I'd never heard of that reverse reverb technique!! had a go and it sounds pretty sweet! have to go easy on the reverb though, might use it for a few bars or something. Reminds me of a horror film trailer or something like that, adds an element of confusion
Yeah it can work well in intro's. Seems to get uesd at the begining of choruses a lot LL Cool J 'Hush' comes to mind.
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacchino
Timbo is using a flanger sometimes when he's rapping with his low voice. I love it. It's subttle, yet noticeable.

Flangers are the way to go also, with female vocals (Brandy ? Britney ?).

Well Timbo doesn't put it on himself....it's a trick that mixing engineer started using on R&B for vocals and bass... and those same mixing engineers started mixing hip hop and it was a cool effect.. so a lot of guys will use it in certain parts of the songs... usually just a bridge section in the middle of the song.
Thats the easiest way to tell a Tony Maserati mix!
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Yea man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jx23
Yeah I actually dont think it works well it hip hop because its just too much, I prefer it for dance tunes. I just wanted to put it out there for people who might not be aware of it yet. I wonder how it would sound on drums? Anyone want to try and post a clip?
Old 11th May 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj
Well Timbo doesn't put it on himself....it's a trick that mixing engineer started using on R&B for vocals and bass... and those same mixing engineers started mixing hip hop and it was a cool effect.. so a lot of guys will use it in certain parts of the songs... usually just a bridge section in the middle of the song.
Thats the easiest way to tell a Tony Maserati mix!
Jimmy Douglass mixes Timbo's stuff!
Old 11th May 2006
Lives for gear

I love this thread ^^

Reversed plates when the rap comes in... That's old trick, but still great. Also : fast cuts panned wild. That's blings, but I still dig it.

Last edited by Zacchino; 11th May 2006 at 11:18 PM..
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
Jimmy Douglass mixes Timbo's stuff!
yeah i know!! haha.. i've assisted jimmy a bunch of times... i wuz just using tony maserati as an example for the flanger effect...
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

I'm not a fan of the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" sound going on in Kanye's stuff and all that. Soooo annoying.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search