The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Akai Pro to announce the MPC RENAISSANCE
Old 29th February 2012
  #1261
They should provide both ways via the onboard screen The technology is there, so they place a limit on the capability by choice not smart.

Ford didnt release the new mustang fashioned on the body style of the 1960's, but hold back on anti lock brakes, power steering, or CD players from current technology, and then claim, oh well "back in the day" no one had this so we figured well leave it out on our newest version.

New product, should BUILD on what made the old product good, but not be used as a self impossed limitation either.


Sent from my MB860 using Gearslutz App
Old 29th February 2012
  #1262
Lives for gear
 
projektk's Avatar
 

I really with the Ren. had a non interface version. The Studio looks toyish, kinda like how I feel Mikro looks toyish. At least Mikro has a mobile price point. The Studio is trying to compete with the standard maschine which to me they are trying to say size doesn't matter its just a controller. In that case its over priced. If Ren has a $800 non interface version I would have been all for it. I'm getting Maschine by the 1st week of April with Komplete 8. I don't think its an MPC killer at all it just first budget and gives me komplete, something I have wanted for a long ass time.

If they release the MPC virtual instrument that's being ran with this product line I would be more than happy to own it, maybe they will provide that eventually, if not I am sure I will eventually pick up an MPC Studio when I can get it for $400 just for the sounds alone.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Old 29th February 2012
  #1263
Lives for gear
So does anyone know to what depth the MPC Fly does midi control of external devices? Will I be able to record the knob twiddles on my hardware to the app?
Old 29th February 2012
  #1264
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
It would have made more sense to stay competitive with Maschine. It's interesting that omissions are being presented as features. This really kills off the hardware vibe for everybody but 3000 users. I'm guessing that 2000/xl , 1kthru 5k users are going to be heard being that they far outnumber 3K users alone. The more the controller is removed from the equation the less appeal it has IMO.
Hardware vibe? lol

Roland MV users (such as yourself), should feel right at home on the Ren. I have never heard an MV user that would forgo the external monitor because it would kill some imaginable vibe. I have never seen an MV-8800 user use it without a monitor.

MPC users (such as myself) have always wanted external monitor support so we wouldn't have to edit on a small LCD Screen.

Any Maschine user talking about MPC Ren has limitations because there is no graphic waveform editing on the controller should be slapped. As Maschine LCD forces you to navigate through multiple pages to get to a certain parameter where an MPC has pages "tabbed" so you can quickly navigate to any parameter. Also Maschine's LCD has practically zero sequence editing functions as compared to MPCs. There is no grid editor or MIDI events list editor for Maschine's LCD. You must use the software and external monitor for sequence editing. I don't really see this as a disadvantage....because just like sample waveform editing on a small LCD...I find it silly not to use a huge monitor for editing.

As far as "omissions"....what are the others you're referring to?
Old 29th February 2012
  #1265
Gear maniac
 
E-Maddox's Avatar
 

Quote:
They should provide both ways via the onboard screen The technology is there, so they place a limit on the capability by choice not smart.
Agreed. It's one of those cases where nobody has to be left out.
Old 29th February 2012
  #1266
Lives for gear
 
godphaser's Avatar
 

Quote:
Unfortunately, you will have to look for a product that has a better "workflow vibe" for you. Nothing wrong with that.
Yeah, that's the best business logic ever, turn down potential customers each time you unveil a "feature" (I would personnaly call it a featurd).

Maybe they can also screw your saved files randomly so you can feel like you're using ZIP disks or slow down the loading process so you can feel the old school wait.

I got a lot of featurd ideas for them.
Old 29th February 2012
  #1267
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
Yeah, that's the best business logic ever, turn down potential customers each time you unveil a "feature" (I would personnaly call it a featurd).

Maybe they can also screw your saved files randomly so you can feel like you're using ZIP disks or slow down the loading process so you can feel the old school wait.

I got a lot of featurd ideas for them.
Logic dictates you can't please everyone. For every individual that says they are turned off by the fact you can't see a waveform on its 6 inch LCD, there will be one or more individuals that say they don't find it a limitation as you can have a 21 inch monitor displaying the waveform.

If it isn't waveform editing on the LCD, there would be something else to nitpick about. In the end, you are still not forced to buy it. You can opt for a competing product...which has other limitations that the MPC Ren doesn't.
Old 29th February 2012
  #1268
Lives for gear
 
godphaser's Avatar
 

Yeah but it's not like they can't do both, numbers and waveforms.

I don't understand that.
Old 29th February 2012
  #1269
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
As Maschine LCD forces you to navigate through multiple pages to get to a certain parameter where an MPC has pages "tabbed" so you can quickly navigate to any parameter.
Typical misleading propaganda from Jahrome. Maschine has a "tabbed interface" on the hardware LCD. The way you page through parameters on the Maschine hardware is super quick and has a hardware workflow vibe. What we've seen of the MPC Ren doesn't seem any quicker at all and in fact, looks to have less of a standalone hardware vibe and more of a controller vibe because you're forced to constantly look back and forth from the knobs and the screen to know what you're controlling unlike with maschine where the knobs and buttons are directly above and below the labels of the parameters your controlling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
You must use the software and external monitor for sequence editing.
Wrong. You can use just the hardware for sequence editing in Maschine. The Step mode let's you see and navigate to and edit all the notes in all grid settings, as well as select certain notes or ranges of events, just from the hardware thanks to the way all the steps are reflected in the backlit pads with visual feedback that works in conjunction with Maschine's hardware LCD.
Old 29th February 2012
  #1270
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
From work to play....I am using either a dual screen monitor set-up or a single 30" monitor. Why on earth would I want to look at a 6" x 2" LCD screen? There is a reason why software samplers are the #1 choice today. Now I get a software sampler that has a dedicated controller so I don't have to mouse-click unless I want to.

I can say outclassed for two reasons.....I own Maschine....and I have seen the "vaporware".
Why did you buy maschine in the first place if your riding akai's coatail? I don't even think you make music. Did you know NI is second in interface sales behind avid. This is from the 10 anniversary party. I come from an MPC background. I'm looking forward to the newer version maschine, so it can finally shut Jahrome up.
Old 29th February 2012
  #1271
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
Why did you buy maschine in the first place if your riding akai's coatail? I don't even think you make music. Did you know NI is second in interface sales behind avid. This is from the 10 anniversary party. I come from an MPC background. I'm looking forward to the newer version maschine, so it can finally shut Jahrome up.
Jahrome's a collector that just likes to have spec wars on the Internet and pretend to be an Akai insider: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...rometest-1.jpg

This is what he said when he bought Maschine:
Quote:
I have written an entire novel just by reading the manual about what Maschine lacks when compared to an MPC even within a software environment.
Quote:
forum members what to know the skinny on Maschine and how it performs compared to an MPC. Since nobody is trying to do this, I have stepped up..spent $600 and will do it for the community. People want to know the truth and not a sales pitch.
Akai MPC Forums - Maschine vs MPC 4000 : MPC Comparison Forum - Page 5
Old 29th February 2012
  #1272
Blastbeat, not trying to defend Jahrome, but you remind me of someone who used to be on Gearslutz with many different reincarnations...

That someone was noggin', I mean naggin' all the time about every other drum machine than NI Maschine (esp. MPCs). There was not much else than NI Maschine he talked about. For permanently frontin on other gear, he was considered to be kinda Gearslutz' drum machine duelist.. somehow his constant yapping was an earache for many of us, but he always made it look like he was being made the goatscape, I mean scapegoat.

Anyways, I think that someone had mental issues or maybe he was a shill for NI. I think for the latter he got banned from GS each time he came back with a new name.
Old 1st March 2012
  #1273
Gear maniac
 
E-Maddox's Avatar
 

To Blastbeat's point, Anytime even the slightest bit of criticism or disagreement comes about Jahrome makes it a point to insert a personal attack or try to deflect and degrade the discussion into a "MPC vs Everything Else" discussion. The guy has made it his business to try to quash any criticism comes Akai's way as if they don't have storied past and nobody remebers how they have handled their customers.

We were talking about the LCD and waveform data? What difference does it make what someone owns uses or? I have an MV and a XL. Other have Maschine or some other vehicle. A valid point is a valid point.

The Ren isn't finished so this is time for real debate-not bitching about it after it's built. If anyone is going to jump when Jahrome actions and sales pitch are addressed they also chime in when he poisons the well with propaganda and misinformation on other devices. Connected or no- he's marketing on behalf of Akai pure and simple.
Old 1st March 2012
  #1274
Registered User
 

Anyone experiencing issues with accessing Gearslutz Forum?
Old 2nd March 2012
  #1275
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I have a 3000.... But, it's so inconvenient to make music on it.

I need computer functionality, and streamlined workflow... That's why the MPC has been collecting dust.
sell me your mpc 3000
Old 2nd March 2012
  #1276
Gear Addict
 

MONSTA ONE....do not buy or pre order the RENASSANCE.....wait til its out....akai pro have a track record of buggy software..cheap components which break......wait and see is my advice to you
Old 2nd March 2012
  #1277
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeat View Post
Maschine has a "tabbed interface" on the hardware LCD. The way you page through parameters on the Maschine hardware is super quick and has a hardware workflow vibe. What we've seen of the MPC Ren doesn't seem any quicker at all and in fact, looks to have less of a standalone hardware vibe and more of a controller vibe because you're forced to constantly look back and forth from the knobs and the screen to know what you're controlling unlike with maschine where the knobs and buttons are directly above and below the labels of the parameters your controlling.
Maschine does not have tabs for Voice Settings, Pitch/Gate, Fx/Filter, Modulation, LFO, and Velocity Destination. These programming functions are spread out through 6 pages that you must use a cursor to toggle through them or use a drop-down box in the software to select them.

The MPC Ren displays all of these programming parameters on one screen. The parameters are controlled via touch sensitive qlinks. And just like most MPCs, there are 6 tabs (F keys) to access logically laid out parameters. The MPC Ren's Program Edit screen is far superior to what I see in Maschine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeat View Post
Wrong. You can use just the hardware for sequence editing in Maschine. The Step mode let's you see and navigate to and edit all the notes in all grid settings, as well as select certain notes or ranges of events, just from the hardware thanks to the way all the steps are reflected in the backlit pads with visual feedback that works in conjunction with Maschine's hardware LCD.
That is not what I am talking about and you know this. I am talking about an editor that lets you modify every detail of a recorded notes from the controller such as being able to change the length of a note from the controller. All MPCs can do this...Maschine can't. This is a top Maschine feature request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeat View Post
Jahrome's a collector that just likes to have spec wars on the Internet and pretend to be an Akai insider: http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w...rometest-1.jpg
So you and E-Maddox are taking turns posting this photoshopped pic across all the internet forums multiple times? lol I am not sure why I have to pretend to be anything. The pic you keep posting indicates I was an MPC 5000 tester. So if I am a tester, why do I need to pretend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre
Why did you buy maschine in the first place if your riding akai's coatail? I don't even think you make music. Did you know NI is second in interface sales behind avid. This is from the 10 anniversary party. I come from an MPC background. I'm looking forward to the newer version maschine....
I don't make music. I just buy expensive and not so expensive toys just to talk about them in an internet forum. But me making music has nothing to do with this subject. The number of interfaces NI sells has nothing do with Maschine's capabilities or lack of them.

I am also looking for a newer version of Maschine...better controller and improved software. I will certainly buy a new version of Maschine. If it is better than the MPC Ren, I will be in multiple forums giving details why I feel this way. Either way..you won't see me in an internet forum catching feelings because of what someone said about a drum maschine. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox
To Blastbeat's point, Anytime even the slightest bit of criticism or disagreement comes about Jahrome makes it a point to insert a personal attack or try to deflect and degrade the discussion into a "MPC vs Everything Else" discussion. The guy has made it his business to try to quash any criticism comes Akai's way as if they don't have storied past and nobody remebers how they have handled their customers.

We were talking about the LCD and waveform data? What difference does it make what someone owns uses or? I have an MV and a XL. Other have Maschine or some other vehicle. A valid point is a valid point.

The Ren isn't finished so this is time for real debate-not bitching about it after it's built. If anyone is going to jump when Jahrome actions and sales pitch are addressed they also chime in when he poisons the well with propaganda and misinformation on other devices. Connected or no- he's marketing on behalf of Akai pure and simple.
You lose any remaining credibility with every lie. I have never personally attacked anyone because they have a different opinion than me. But anyone can do a search and find numerous posts with you calling me names or throwing insults. Shame on you.

Yes, we were talking about LCD and graphic waveforms. All my points are valid IMHO. I don't need a 6 x 2 inch LCD to show an even smaller waveform when I have a full sized colored monitor. I mentioned the MV-8800 to give an example as how most users add an external monitor to it completely ignoring its LCD. You claim that you need this function on an LCD. That's all well and good. But its not part of the MPCs Ren's spec. So keep using what you are using as you are not forced to buy it.

The Ren isn't finished as you say....so how can you bitch about what it has or doesn't have? If I posted mis-information about a product, please provide evidence to that "fact." I will certainly admit if I made a mistake. As far as marketing for Akai? Outside of an MPC 2000XL and an MPD32, I don't currently own any Akai products. I am not telling anyone they should buy an MPC Ren as I don't care. But I will tell you I am buying an MPC Ren...two of them to be exact.

You are in the wrong thread if you don't want to hear the positive aspects of the MPC Ren.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
....do not buy or pre order the RENASSANCE.....wait til its out....akai pro have a track record of buggy software..cheap components which break......wait and see is my advice to you
There is not another sampling drum machine on the market that has a better OS, better built, or better anything than the MPC series IMHO. If there was, I would own it...as I am a gear collector as sopre put it. lol
Old 2nd March 2012
  #1278
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
MONSTA ONE....do not buy or pre order the RENASSANCE.....wait til its out....akai pro have a track record of buggy software..cheap components which break......wait and see is my advice to you
ok thx you ..
Old 12th March 2012
  #1279
Lives for gear
 
MIDIchlorian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by new bee View Post
MONSTA ONE....do not buy or pre order the RENASSANCE.....wait til its out....akai pro have a track record of buggy software..cheap components which break......wait and see is my advice to you
I disagree.
I know for a fact the Dev team on the MPC Ren is brilliant.
Old 13th March 2012
  #1280
mp3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post
I disagree.
I know for a fact the Dev team on the MPC Ren is brilliant.
Oh you gotta spill the beans now...
Old 13th March 2012
  #1281
Gear maniac
 
E-Maddox's Avatar
 

Quote:
I know for a fact the Dev team on the MPC Ren is brilliant.
....based on what factual info ?
Old 13th March 2012
  #1282
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
....based on what factual info ?
sfs sells sounds and samples .. for akai . so yea he would say that
Old 13th March 2012
  #1283
Hobbs_Won
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian View Post
I disagree.
I know for a fact the Dev team on the MPC Ren is brilliant.

That's it....everybody go and pre-order it....NOW
Old 14th March 2012
  #1284
Registered User
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox View Post
....based on what factual info ?
You of all people are asking about "factual" info?

Here is some factual info...one or more of your complaints you made will be non-issues. Which one(s)? Stay tuned.
Old 16th March 2012
  #1285
Gear Nut
 

does anyone know if any of the new mpcs will support tr-style step sequencing?
e.g. like maschine does with the 16 steps = 16 pads lit up?
Old 17th March 2012
  #1286
Lives for gear
 
Goa-Dubs's Avatar
 

Anyway-to cut to the chase Andy mac posted this up on Akai mpc forum-
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be at the following locations giving a exclusive presentation and demo on the MPC RENAISSANCE and MPC Software. This will be a great great event!!!!!!!!

This is only running for the week commencing 26th through to the 30th. So don't miss this opportunity..........

So here are the dates!!!!!!


Digital Village (Romford) on the 27th March ( Visit the Website for further details)

Westend DJ Wed 28th (Time to be announced) London

DECKS.co.uk (Wed 28th) London (To be confirmed)

Production Room (Thursday 29th March)

Hard 2 Find Records Friday 30th March


Mail me if you need any further details. Come along as it will be great to meet you all!!!!!

Best Wishes


Andy Mac
Akai Professional

Old 17th March 2012
  #1287
I EAT VINYL FOR DINNER
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Anyway-to cut to the chase Andy mac posted this up on Akai mpc forum-
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be at the following locations giving a exclusive presentation and demo on the MPC RENAISSANCE and MPC Software. This will be a great great event!!!!!!!!

This is only running for the week commencing 26th through to the 30th. So don't miss this opportunity..........

So here are the dates!!!!!!


Digital Village (Romford) on the 27th March ( Visit the Website for further details)

Westend DJ Wed 28th (Time to be announced) London

DECKS.co.uk (Wed 28th) London (To be confirmed)

Production Room (Thursday 29th March)

Hard 2 Find Records Friday 30th March


Mail me if you need any further details. Come along as it will be great to meet you all!!!!!

Best Wishes


Andy Mac
Akai Professional

i dont see why they just dont have a ustream show ??
Old 17th March 2012
  #1288
Lives for gear
 
Goa-Dubs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE View Post
i dont see why they just dont have a ustream show ??
Thats good but i just wanna get my greasy mitts on it.
Old 18th March 2012
  #1289
Gear Addict
 
peteblues's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooner View Post
does anyone know if any of the new mpcs will support tr-style step sequencing?
e.g. like maschine does with the 16 steps = 16 pads lit up?
yes it will.
Old 18th March 2012
  #1290
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues View Post
yes it will.
That's great news
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Chaylon / So much gear, so little time
42
d.dot / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
0
Barilla / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
6
bigbongo / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
1
Farshad / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump