The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
easy mo bee type of sounds?
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Nut

easy mo bee type of sounds?

i was wondering how does easy mo bee get the samples to sound like that? im currently using fl studio and i am using fl slicer and edison to chop samples. does he run the samples through filters and eq's? please provide info and please no negative comments. thank you.

Easy Mo Bee - Everything Remains Raw (Instrumental) - YouTube

Easy Mo Bee - The Life... (Instrumental) - YouTube

Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear Instrumental - [1994 - Original Version] - YouTube
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice909 View Post
i was wondering how does easy mo bee get the samples to sound like that? im currently using fl studio and i am using fl slicer and edison to chop samples. does he run the samples through filters and eq's? please provide info and please no negative comments. thank you.

Easy Mo Bee - Everything Remains Raw (Instrumental) - YouTube

Easy Mo Bee - The Life... (Instrumental) - YouTube

Craig Mack - Flava In Ya Ear Instrumental - [1994 - Original Version] - YouTube

SP1200 + good EQs/Comps + skillz

peace
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Nut

thanks but, is there any more info? im just trying to understand the sounds he did as inspiration and a starting point to create a new sound of my own.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Head

I always thought he runs the sample thru a lo-pass filter. I am curious to anything else y'all can add.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Maniac

SP1200 has a lot to do with the overall character of that sound.

Easy Mo Bee uses an SP1200 which gives the samples that quality and tone after they are pitched in the machine. There are also filters in the SP1200. Of course dude is tremendously skilled and talented, and absolute legend forever, but the sound in those 3 instrumentals is unmistakably the grainy sound of an EMU SP1200....sorry but its true.
Old 19th December 2011
Gax
Lives for gear

old VINYLs and SP1200 (but its not mandatory)

easy mo be has full basement of vinyls. finding desired sound will take a while. i get 99% of people who makes these types of threads are used to downloading drum kits from internet or buying them. oh how to get this amazing dr.dre sound....

its not eq, compressor, converter, plugin, tape, ssl, neve, rocket ship, magic... if thats the case everyone would sound same.

get that sound from the source. overlaying few different kicks and snare is also important for getting big sound.
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

+1

I def think the Easy Mo Bee sound is in his sample selection.
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear
Easy Mo Bee is that dude!! Doesn't get much props but he's made classics!

Maybe try watching/reading some of his interviews if you haven't. Might find something out.

Easy Mo Bee Stripes Interview - YouTube

Archive Easy Mo Bee Interview – Part One (Originally Printed In Blues & Soul 933 / Nov 2004) | Old To The New – Ryan Proctor’s Beats, Rhymes & Hip-Hop Nostalgia
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear
sample selection layering drums and other samples using lpf and hpf on copies of the same sample and gluing the sound back together.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Those are all great ways to do things, but for those 3 beats my guess is SP1200, Eq's and maybe some limited effects.

Easy Mo Bee is pretty out spoken about his use and fondness for the SP1200. He obviously uses other samplers on other beats (Akai s950) but for those 3 beats you posted, SP1200. Im sure dude would kill it on any sampler though, I am not taking away from his talents in anyway, just recognizing the tonal qualities of the 3 beats you used as an example. Especially "Flava in ya Ear", one of the finest SP1200 beats ever made.
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Nut

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he would kill samples on any other sampler too. I just like the way how "life as","everything remains raw" and flava in ya ear sounded, with how the samples sounded all gritty and grimed. I'm trying to find if that's possible in fl slicer,slicex or anyother vsti.
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice909 View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he would kill samples on any other sampler too. I just like the way how "life as","everything remains raw" and flava in ya ear sounded, with how the samples sounded all gritty and grimed. I'm trying to find if that's possible in fl slicer,slicex or anyother vsti.
"In my opinion" Maschine comes VERY close to emulating the SP1200. I posted this thread a few weeks back with audio samples from both machines. Decide for your self.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...al-sp1200.html
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear
or u could mess with battery 3 i think **** is excellent cos u have more control over the vintage sound like u can adjust the bit depth, khz and the samount of noise , colouration and saturation on a sound.
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

extreme pitch shifting / time stretching might as well be a part of it:

Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear
also look into fx and lil tricks like slick da releic is speaking on in this vid

RS7000 sawtooth wave tutorial - YouTube
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

There are no funny tricks, running **** through this and that, complex layering, etc going on those beats.

It's very simple. As said above..sp-1200 (combined with an S-950 depending on the beat).

Flava in ya Ear is all sp-1200.

I've been on the sp-1200 and s950 combo for ever. Run the samples in fast and pitch them down and you will attain that sound characteristic.

Do you have iChat or something? I have tons of sp-1200 beats I could share with you if you are into that sound.
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

^^^^ Yup.

Here is a track I recently did on the SP-1200. Nothing else used. Chops, drums, and bass line all programmed on the sp.

You can hear what the sp-1200 does to the sample at the beginning (Minnie Ripperton, no secret there).

No crazy effects or any of that were applied to the samples:

After the Storm
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Co-signing the SP1200 statements.
It only has very limited sampling time, and therefore you sample your records on 45rpm and pitch them down to 33rpm inside the machine.
This and the machines converters plus the sample format (12bit) , is what gives the samples that distinctive sound.
A perfect example is Big Daddy Kane's "Aint no half steppin".
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
^^^^ Yup.

Here is a track I recently did on the SP-1200. Nothing else used. Chops, drums, and bass line all programmed on the sp.

You can hear what the sp-1200 does to the sample at the beginning (Minnie Ripperton, no secret there).

After the Storm
Dope!
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
^^^^ Yup.

After the Storm
That's nice.
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks.

I will post the same beat using the same piece of wax but sampled into Maschine so people can compare.

Edit: Here is the Maschine version.

After the Storm - Maschine Version

I used the same vinyl/samples. All that is different is the string hits from the Maschine True School library.

You can here a slight difference but Maschine is pretty close for what it is. It isn't the same, but is one of the better emulators I have heard.

In the context of a full song with vocals, cuts, etc, that **** doesn't matter. Nobody cares.

To the OP: You may want to consider Maschine or Battery (if the emulation engine is the same between them).

I still get down on the SP here and there, but I won't front. I turn on my Mac Book Pro with Ableton Live much more often LOL.
Old 20th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
^^^^ Yup.

After the Storm
That was ill
Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.

I will post the same beat using the same piece of wax but sampled into Maschine so people can compare.

I used the same vinyl/samples. All that is different is the string hits from the Maschine True School library.

You can here a slight difference but Maschine is pretty close for what it is. It isn't the same, but is one of the better emulators I have heard.

In the context of a full song with vocals, cuts, etc, that **** doesn't matter. Nobody cares.

To the OP: You may want to consider Maschine or Battery (if the emulation engine is the same between them).

I still get down on the SP here and there, but I won't front. I turn on my Mac Book Pro with Ableton Live much more often LOL.
So did you pitch up, sample, then pitch back down in Maschine SP mode? The string hits were an excellent addition to that track by the way.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks.

Damn, as you said it Jae.
If you EQued any of those beats more they would be even nearest soundwise.

EDIT: Friend of mine uses many NI kits...I don't know but I think they are recognizable (I like them)...is snare from vinyl or from Maschine kits? "Chops, drums, and bass line all programmed on the sp." - I guess from vinyl...so I would miss again. Lol Brother!
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks to everyone who replied. I learned a lot here.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
^^^^ Yup.

After the Storm
Dope..

I would love to hear an album of your SP1200 beats. You have anything available?
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
So did you pitch up, sample, then pitch back down in Maschine SP mode? The string hits were an excellent addition to that track by the way.
Good question.

Maschine: sample recorded at normal** speed, pitched down in Maschine, SP emulation applied

SP-1200: sample recorded at about 45 rpm +4.5 or so (fast), pitched down in the SP 1200, used channels 7 and 8 (they have no filter).
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ivory View Post
Dope..

I would love to hear an album of your SP1200 beats. You have anything available?
I keep getting told I need to release something. Maybe I should. I have stacks and stacks of floppies LOL.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good question.

Maschine: sample recorded at normal** speed, pitched down in Maschine, SP emulation applied

SP-1200: sample recorded at about 45 rpm +4.5 or so (fast), pitched down in the SP 1200, used channels 7 and 8 (they have no filter).
If you treat Maschine with the sped up sample and pitch back down the exact same way you did with the SP, the emulation would be even closer. By closer, I mean nearly indistinguishable "IMO". I'm amazed at how close it actually is. A lot of people lust after that SP1200 sound and don't realize it's right under their nose with Maschine. You just need to feed Maschine the same sped up sample that you would a SP. Since Maschine don't have the memory limitations, I think people dont bother with speeding up the sample on input,but if you do, the SP emulation really kicks in, I'm talking grit, ring, all of those characteristics, plus it can be in stereo. I've thought about selling my SP more than once, but afraid I'll regret it. Already went down that road once before, sold it then 3 months later bought another.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search