The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
easy mo bee type of sounds?
Old 21st December 2011
  #31
Lives for gear
 
JaeOne3345's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
If you treat Maschine with the sped up sample and pitch back down the exact same way you did with the SP, the emulation would be even closer. By closer, I mean nearly indistinguishable "IMO". I'm amazed at how close it actually is. A lot of people lust after that SP1200 sound and don't realize it's right under their nose with Maschine. You just need to feed Maschine the same sped up sample that you would a SP. Since Maschine don't have the memory limitations, I think people dont bother with speeding up the sample on input,but if you do, the SP emulation really kicks in, I'm talking grit, ring, all of those characteristics, plus it can be in stereo. I've thought about selling my SP more than once, but afraid I'll regret it. Already went down that road once before, sold it then 3 months later bought another.
In my opinion/experience, speeding up before going into maschine made it dirtier than my real SP.

It also depends which of the maschine SP filter emulation modes you are using.

Remember that I am not using ANY of the SP filters on the sample chops on the SP version of that beat.

But yea, I agree. Naysayers can talk all the **** they want, but the Maschine emulation is the closest I have heard.

Thanks for the track compliments btw. Good to hear people still like that sound. You stay on gearslutz too long and start wondering what people are really into these days LOL.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #32
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
If you treat Maschine with the sped up sample and pitch back down the exact same way you did with the SP, the emulation would be even closer. By closer, I mean nearly indistinguishable "IMO". I'm amazed at how close it actually is. A lot of people lust after that SP1200 sound and don't realize it's right under their nose with Maschine. You just need to feed Maschine the same sped up sample that you would a SP. Since Maschine don't have the memory limitations, I think people dont bother with speeding up the sample on input,but if you do, the SP emulation really kicks in, I'm talking grit, ring, all of those characteristics, plus it can be in stereo. I've thought about selling my SP more than once, but afraid I'll regret it. Already went down that road once before, sold it then 3 months later bought another.
i know @ ForWerd hasn't posted in four years now, but can anyone confirm if this is legit? and how would I do this as I'm not understanding the "sped up sample" part
Old 2 weeks ago
  #33
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothetical View Post
i know @ ForWerd hasn't posted in four years now, but can anyone confirm if this is legit? and how would I do this as I'm not understanding the "sped up sample" part
Hey man logged in just to respond. Note I haven’t used Maschine in a looooong time. When I say “sped up” you could also say “pitched up.” Just go up a few semi tones from the original sample when you sample it. Then put it in SP mode and pitch it back down to the original semi tone.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #34
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
Hey man logged in just to respond. Note I haven’t used Maschine in a looooong time. When I say “sped up” you could also say “pitched up.” Just go up a few semi tones from the original sample when you sample it. Then put it in SP mode and pitch it back down to the original semi tone.
thank you for logging back in to respond!

i just want to make sure i got it right...

1. load my sample up
2. pitch up a few semitones (let's say +2 for example) in the stretch mode, before messing with the engine mode
3. then change the engine mode from "standard" to "S1200" (the Maschine SP1200 emulator)
4. once that's done, go back to stretch mode and turn the sample back down (in this case -2 semitones) and apply
Old 2 weeks ago
  #35
Lives for gear
 
ForWerd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothetical View Post
thank you for logging back in to respond!

i just want to make sure i got it right...

1. load my sample up
2. pitch up a few semitones (let's say +2 for example) in the stretch mode, before messing with the engine mode
3. then change the engine mode from "standard" to "S1200" (the Maschine SP1200 emulator)
4. once that's done, go back to stretch mode and turn the sample back down (in this case -2 semitones) and apply
I’m not sure what “stretch mode” is. Go up about 5 semi tones. This will make the sample play faster/higher. Have Machine sample itself playing that higher/sped up version, then put that sample on SP mode and go down 5 semi tones to your original pitch. Just try it.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #36
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
I’m not sure what “stretch mode” is. Go up about 5 semi tones. This will make the sample play faster/higher. Have Machine sample itself playing that higher/sped up version, then put that sample on SP mode and go down 5 semi tones to your original pitch. Just try it.
i see, the mistake i made was timestretching it up 5 semitones rather than allowing the sample to play at a faster tempo when pitched up
Old 2 weeks ago
  #37
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothetical View Post
i see, the mistake i made was timestretching it up 5 semitones rather than allowing the sample to play at a faster tempo when pitched up
Possibly obvious... but make sure to resample/rerecord the pitched up sample, otherwise you aren't doing anything to it.
Old 1 week ago
  #38
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post
Possibly obvious... but make sure to resample/rerecord the pitched up sample, otherwise you aren't doing anything to it.
do you own the latest version of maschine?
Old 6 days ago
  #39
Lives for gear
 

1) It’s delusional to think the Maschine emulations are “just like” the real thing.

2) Mo Bee’s sound is much more than just an SP and sometimes an S950. Don’t expect to fully reach the sound of a skilled engineer with $1mil worth of multiple layers of Neve, SSL, UA, Studer mixers, compressors, tape, etc.

Ask yourself why no tracks sound as thick, round and full as ‘Flava in Ya Ear’ in 2019.

3) Sound selection is a major deal.
Old 5 days ago
  #40
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
1) It’s delusional to think the Maschine emulations are “just like” the real thing.

2) Mo Bee’s sound is much more than just an SP and sometimes an S950. Don’t expect to fully reach the sound of a skilled engineer with $1mil worth of multiple layers of Neve, SSL, UA, Studer mixers, compressors, tape, etc.

Ask yourself why no tracks sound as thick, round and full as ‘Flava in Ya Ear’ in 2019.

3) Sound selection is a major deal.
while I'm not doubting you, and me specifically looking for that type of sound. it makes me wonder, how much did the outboard gear have to play into it. and how much of it was the engineers?

how many sounds were those beats using on average? how much of it is compression? how much does tape thicken up drums and bass?

how much further does it go than just getting an analog board and an akai sampler?
Old 5 days ago
  #41
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiLLestLove View Post
while I'm not doubting you, and me specifically looking for that type of sound. it makes me wonder, how much did the outboard gear have to play into it. and how much of it was the engineers?

how many sounds were those beats using on average? how much of it is compression? how much does tape thicken up drums and bass?

how much further does it go than just getting an analog board and an akai sampler?
I didn’t say just any analog board and a little tape. Bad Boy used some of the best studios in NYC.

A little software application is not going to emulate rows and rows of transistors and tubes from millions in onboard and outboard compressors, multiple mixers, tape machines, onboard and outboard EQs, etc.

I don’t think you understand how much equipment would have been used.

Again, ask yourself why almost no one makes Boom-Bap of that sonic grade anymore. Studios have traded the expense and inconvenience of sonically superior outboard gear for the convenience of laptop-engineered music.

Mo Bee typically didn’t use many samples. Just check WhoSampled.com and compare the listed samples with what you hear in the tracks.

Last edited by breakinrecords; 4 days ago at 03:43 PM..
Old 5 days ago
  #42
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypothetical View Post
do you own the latest version of maschine?
I do yeh, I assumed you need to resample it in Maschine, otherwise pitching up and down the same digital file wouldn't make a lot of difference, would it? Are you saying that is incorrect? It might be as I don't use my Maschine for this purpose (just use it as a sketch pad), as I have a S950, so if I need vintage sound I use that.

Not sure I understand your question.
Old 4 days ago
  #43
Here for the gear
 

Maybe some sound texture are easier to tweak to make them sound like SP1200 (those with lot of high harmonics like vibes instrument). For drums, I'd think it's harder to emulate, they sound really big when listening live from SP outputs (same sort of power as if you were near a drummer hitting hard)
Old 4 days ago
  #44
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefaz View Post
Maybe some sound texture are easier to tweak to make them sound like SP1200 (those with lot of high harmonics like vibes instrument). For drums, I'd think it's harder to emulate, they sound really big when listening live from SP outputs (same sort of power as if you were near a drummer hitting hard)
But how do they sound after you've recorded them into your computer? That's the sound you have to compare to software emulations.
Old 4 days ago
  #45
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotuz2019 View Post
But how do they sound after you've recorded them into your computer? That's the sound you have to compare to software emulations.
When you record the output of a sampler into the computer with at least 24bit/44,1kHz there will be no difference for 99,99 % of the human ears/brain.
People don't give a * about such subtile difference which nearly noone can hear in a blindtest. Most people don't even care about the difference between wav/flac and mp3 where the difference is soooooooooo much greater.

peace
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump