The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Tony, question about what Dre's engineer said in Magazine article
Old 19th April 2006
Lives for gear

Tony, question about what Dre's engineer said in Magazine article

Dre's engineer said that he uses some short reverbs, delay and blending in a detuned version of the song to make the mix fuller sounding.

Have you ever tried this? Ive heard of chorus on bass to thicken it up and so forth, but blending in a pitched up or pitched down version of the whole track vocals and all to thicken it up is straight alien to me.

Maybe you could elaborate? I think this was in Scratch Magazine that he talked about this, I dont wanna murder the guy's name so Ill just leave it at that, but it was this months Scratch?

On a side note......

While everybody has mentioned using sidechaining on the bassline so that your kicks and bassline dont fight for space as much, no one has mentioned some good settings or what you should be going for, each song is unique but I never used sidechain before I just used to cut frequencies and then insert a hipass filter on the 2 buss compressor to avoid bass distortion and so forth.

Maybe you could give us a peek into how we should be sidechaining our basslines?

I know that the plug in Im using is called SideKickV3 VST its a free version, but it works perfectly in cubase SX. The only thing Im having problems with is how I should be setting its attack and release times?

So far whenever I mess around with the release times the bass gets ducked for way too long so it just sounds horrible, the best sound Ive achieved so far is when I leave the release time really short like 1 ms.

But what is this supposed to really accomplish? I would think that the kick just punches short drops in the bassline when you sidechain it, but that it wouldnt do it with such a strong amplitude that its too big of a drop.

Also would you sidechain before or after you put effects on the bassline? Whats your preference?

Dont forget the pitch thing on the 2 buss....

My first post to one of the greats on the site and its a wonderful harrassing, badgering tangent. Any more questions and I have to pay per diem right? Haha.

Peace
Illumination
Old 19th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov
Dre's engineer said that he uses some short reverbs, delay and blending in a detuned version of the song to make the mix fuller sounding.

Have you ever tried this? Ive heard of chorus on bass to thicken it up and so forth, but blending in a pitched up or pitched down version of the whole track vocals and all to thicken it up is straight alien to me.

Maybe you could elaborate? I think this was in Scratch Magazine that he talked about this, I dont wanna murder the guy's name so Ill just leave it at that, but it was this months Scratch?
I have done this and other similar techniques in the past, but it doesn't work for every or even most songs. It can cloud your mix if you have too much stuff going on..

Quote:
While everybody has mentioned using sidechaining on the bassline so that your kicks and bassline dont fight for space as much, no one has mentioned some good settings or what you should be going for, each song is unique but I never used sidechain before I just used to cut frequencies and then insert a hipass filter on the 2 buss compressor to avoid bass distortion and so forth.

Maybe you could give us a peek into how we should be sidechaining our basslines?

I know that the plug in Im using is called SideKickV3 VST its a free version, but it works perfectly in cubase SX. The only thing Im having problems with is how I should be setting its attack and release times?

So far whenever I mess around with the release times the bass gets ducked for way too long so it just sounds horrible, the best sound Ive achieved so far is when I leave the release time really short like 1 ms.

But what is this supposed to really accomplish? I would think that the kick just punches short drops in the bassline when you sidechain it, but that it wouldnt do it with such a strong amplitude that its too big of a drop.

Also would you sidechain before or after you put effects on the bassline? Whats your preference?
It's all dependent on the material. There is no special settings for using sidechains. But, judging by your problem, maybe a lower ratio will help fix that up for you.
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

Ok I think I understand the problem now

See the thing is I cant set ratio on the plug in I use only the threshold, so the issue is figuring out how the ratio is determined.

But thanks for replying the same day man, cuz when he said the pitch thing, I knew you might have a clue about it cuz it sounded interesting but he said he usually does this on the mixes.

I havent had a chance to try it out Im in Laurelton, Queens right now. But when I get back to Syracuse, mos def Ill give it a whirl.

Thanks

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th April 2006

Quote:
See the thing is I cant set ratio on the plug in I use only the threshold, so the issue is figuring out how the ratio is determined.

But thanks for replying the same day man, cuz when he said the pitch thing, I knew you might have a clue about it cuz it sounded interesting but he said he usually does this on the mixes.

I havent had a chance to try it out Im in Laurelton, Queens right now. But when I get back to Syracuse, mos def Ill give it a whirl.

Thanks

Peace
Illumination
You might want to try a new compressor like the URS 1970 or 1980. They are the least expensive way to get a great sidechain capable compressor.
Old 20th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Isnt there a sidechain feature with T-Racks or Waves too?I think I've seen it before.Not too sure though.Tony, u'd be able to confirm it.Just looking at the more cost effective option for some that may wanna go that route.
Old 20th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddstone
Isnt there a sidechain feature with T-Racks or Waves too?I think I've seen it before.Not too sure though.Tony, u'd be able to confirm it.Just looking at the more cost effective option for some that may wanna go that route.
I don't know about TRacks, but none of the Waves compressors in the diamond bundle have that capability. Neither does the Waves SSL plugs, unfortunately..

The URS compressors can be bought individually for $250 list price per compressor, and we can sell them cheaper through the special we have if you wanted them.
Old 20th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I don't know about TRacks, but none of the Waves compressors in the diamond bundle have that capability. Neither does the Waves SSL plugs, unfortunately..

The URS compressors can be bought individually for $250 list price per compressor, and we can sell them cheaper through the special we have if you wanted them.
Thats really not a bad price at all.And thats in software plugin form?As for T-Racks, I need to check with some producers that dabble with it.Just need to check if it has that sidechain feature, cause now I'm not sure myself.
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear
I sidechain with Otium's Compadre Beatpuncher. It works great in Cubase. Try it out.
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

tony, i might need to get at you about the URS stuff... my NFR is time limited and running out soon
Old 20th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one
tony, i might need to get at you about the URS stuff... my NFR is time limited and running out soon
No problem... I can get the authorizations within a few minutes.
Old 20th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I sidechain with Otium's Compadre Beatpuncher. It works great in Cubase. Try it out.
What is that? Do they have it for AU?
Old 20th April 2006
Lives for gear

i guess it's this?
http://www.otiumfx.com/compadre.php
Old 20th April 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by con?one
PC only...
Old 23rd April 2006
Lives for gear

ive never seen sidechain compression in the computer.
will someone please explain how i can have 2 seperate mono tracks and 1 plug in does side chain compression? Ive been wanting to do side chain compression forever.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search