The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Microphone that comes close to Vintage U87 Condenser Microphones
Old 9th November 2011
  #31
Gear Addict
 
ramil's Avatar
 

when recording rap I usually use akg 414 over u87 . U 87 works on certain vocals but most of the time it sounds kinda harsh
Old 10th November 2011
  #32
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramil View Post
when recording rap I usually use akg 414 over u87 . U 87 works on certain vocals but most of the time it sounds kinda harsh
Yeah it's not a magic wand. If it was people would use them in karaoke.
Old 11th November 2011
  #33
Gear interested
 

I was just told by a very professional engineer (think multi plat pop/hip hop) that the Miktek C7 comes incredibly close to capturing the u87 sound. You've heard this mic on the radio before if you've listened to a certain female top 40 artist. Her engineer told me he a/b'ed the two mics w the exact same signal chain and to his surprise the c7 came out sounding veeeerry similar on any source he used it on.
Old 11th November 2011
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander155 View Post
I was just told by a very professional engineer (think multi plat pop/hip hop) that the Miktek C7 comes incredibly close to capturing the u87 sound. You've heard this mic on the radio before if you've listened to a certain female top 40 artist. Her engineer told me he a/b'ed the two mics w the exact same signal chain and to his surprise the c7 came out sounding veeeerry similar on any source he used it on.
I don't think the c7 comes close but Miktek are good mics. Which artist is it? We don't like to keep secrets around here.
Old 11th November 2011
  #35
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
I don't think the c7 comes close but Miktek are good mics. Which artist is it? We don't like to keep secrets around here.
It's Fergie actually.
Old 11th November 2011
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zander155 View Post
It's Fergie actually.
And she is using the c7 on her new album or on BEP's music?

Just want to clarify, when I mean, comes close, I mean in how it sounds compared to a u87, not in quality. For example the c800g doesn't come close to the u87, but they are both quality mics, but they both sound different.
Old 31st January 2018
  #37
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramil View Post
when recording rap I usually use akg 414 over u87 . U 87 works on certain vocals but most of the time it sounds kinda harsh
sorry to resurrect an old post, but which version of the akg 414 are you using? i really like the sound of the akg c414 and want to use it to record rap but the top end sounds so spitty and harsh on my c414 xlII and to dull on the old c414 b-uls i tried.
Old 2nd February 2018
  #38
Gear Head
 
MichaelStAmour's Avatar
Rode NT1 with OktavaMod.

A bit over your price I think, but totally worth it.

Cheers
Old 13th February 2018
  #39
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 

If you want a budget Neumann type sound, I'd personally go for one of the modifications that Joly does on Oktavamod. honestly i own a few older LDC Oktavas, and even the stock 219/319s sound really good (especially compared to most of the modern chinese mics out there). Though i think the Oktavas are more similar to the U67.

In any case, they're quite a bit more neutral sounding than most "budget" LDCs out there.
Old 13th February 2018
  #40
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
(Psst! This thread is 7 years old!)

(I've definitely replied to a 10 year old post.. more than once.. )
Old 13th February 2018
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
(Psst! This thread is 7 years old!)

(I've definitely replied to a 10 year old post.. more than once.. )
Irrelevant here because huglife187 was aware and acknowledged it. It's the ones who have no clue that are funny...
Old 13th February 2018
  #42
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Irrelevant here because huglife187 was aware and acknowledged it. It's the ones who have no clue that are funny...
truly irrelevant, considering huglife wasn't who I was addressing.

I was however addressing atma, who responded to the OPs post..

Which was 7 years ago.

My deepest apologies for not quoting him, to help avoid your confusion.

Thank you so much though for attempting to insult my intelligence..

Very 'moderator-ly' of you.
Old 13th February 2018
  #43
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
truly irrelevant, considering huglife wasn't who I was addressing.

I was however addressing atma, who responded to the OPs post..

Which was 7 years ago.

My deepest apologies for not quoting him, to help avoid your confusion.

Thank you so much though for attempting to insult my intelligence..

Very 'moderator-ly' of you.
Wow you took that extremely personal, and definitely mis-took my tone. You didn't quote atma, and atma didn't quote anyone, so there was no way of knowing who was talking to who.

I was light heartedly pointing out the fact that a lot of people reply to age-old threads without knowing it. And it's kind of funny. But this thread was resurrected knowingly, so it's not the same.

It's not that deep man, no "insult" intended.
Old 13th February 2018
  #44
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Wow you took that extremely personal, and definitely mis-took my tone. You didn't quote atma, and atma didn't quote anyone, so there was no way of knowing who was talking to who.

I was light heartedly pointing out the fact that a lot of people reply to age-old threads without knowing it. And it's kind of funny. But this thread was resurrected knowingly, so it's not the same.

It's not that deep man, no "insult" intended.
I was utterly convinced that when you said 'it's the clueless ones that are funny'.. you were referring to me.

In that case, my apologies.

I've been met by a barrage of hypocritical idiots recently elsewhere on the web.. and kinda just naturally assumed that this wasn't my lucky week.

It's as if.. the world is dominated by dummies with attitude. I mistook you for one of them.

My bad brother. No hard feelings
Old 13th February 2018
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Wow you took that extremely personal, and definitely mis-took my tone. You didn't quote atma, and atma didn't quote anyone, so there was no way of knowing who was talking to who.

I was light heartedly pointing out the fact that a lot of people reply to age-old threads without knowing it. And it's kind of funny. But this thread was resurrected knowingly, so it's not the same.

It's not that deep man, no "insult" intended.
See I say it all the time @Bender412 is so gosh darnit abrasive
Old 13th February 2018
  #46
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
I was utterly convinced that when you said 'it's the clueless ones that are funny'.. you were referring to me.

In that case, my apologies...
Haha ... yeah I was referring to oblivious "old thread bumpers"!
Old 13th February 2018
  #47
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
Irrelevant here because huglife187 was aware and acknowledged it. It's the ones who have no clue that are funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
truly irrelevant, considering huglife wasn't who I was addressing.
9 new posts on a reincarntated thread but not one post is related to the question that brought it back ...hahaa
Old 13th February 2018
  #48
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
9 new posts on a reincarntated thread but not one post is related to the question that brought it back ...hahaa
Crazy right?
Old 13th February 2018
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
9 new posts on a reincarntated thread but not one post is related to the question that brought it back ...hahaa
That's true, but more than likely it's because you directed your question specifically at a poster from 6 1/2 years ago (ramil). He may not be using that mic at all anymore.

I just checked, and he only has 1 post since 2016, but that post was only 9 hours ago. Maybe PM him your question?
Old 13th February 2018
  #50
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshProduce View Post
Crazy right?
kinda funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
That's true, but more than likely it's because you directed your question specifically at a poster from 6 1/2 years ago (ramil). He may not be using that mic at all anymore.

I just checked, and he only has 1 post since 2016, but that post was only 9 hours ago. Maybe PM him your question?

maybe i should change my name to "resurrector" .... thanx for the info


any personal infos about akg c414 tl II anyone? .... i already read alot about it on gearslutz and won't open a new thread but if you have some personal experience with it let me know
Old 16th February 2018
  #51
Gear Maniac
 
BIG BUDDHA's Avatar
every studio i ever worked in from 1988 till today had at least 1 Neumann U87. (usually 2 or more)

and I've still got a very old one right now. good for all sorts of stuff, and will never go out of style.

no one anyone ever complained about a vocal sound i pulled from a U87. they are just fine.

thats my opinion.

Buddha
Old 16th February 2018
  #52
Lives for gear
 
FreshProduce's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
every studio i ever worked in from 1988 till today had at least 1 Neumann U87. (usually 2 or more)

and I've still got a very old one right now. good for all sorts of stuff, and will never go out of style.

no one anyone ever complained about a vocal sound i pulled from a U87. they are just fine.

thats my opinion.

Buddha
Yeah. U87 is a workhorse and more modest money than the vintage 47. 47 is prob warmer than 87 and 67.. but the 87 is the most versatile imo. Every studio I've been at has had (at least) one, as well.
Old 16th February 2018
  #53
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
every studio i ever worked in from 1988 till today had at least 1 Neumann U87. (usually 2 or more)

and I've still got a very old one right now. good for all sorts of stuff, and will never go out of style.

no one anyone ever complained about a vocal sound i pulled from a U87. they are just fine.

thats my opinion.

Buddha
i only have experience with the u87 ai but i don't like the mid bump, it gives my voice more "balls" which i don't like
Old 7th March 2018
  #54
Here for the gear
 

TLM 103 and the Neve 1073, U will come close to U87 but not quite. The neve 1073 makes all mics sound very very good. The U87 just has a richer sound. Lower end mics can’t compete.
Old 10th March 2018
  #55
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post
I never said I want to sound exactly like those records. What I meant was, I want a mic that isn't bright and digital like todays kind of vocals and ideas of getting a sound that has a feeling of the 90's type of hip hop to it. Sorry, I'm new to all this microphone stuff so I may seem like a ******
It all comes down with matching mic to voice (and being willing to tweak mic position/settings). Not all new mics are harsh even the cheap ones. Actually some of my cheap mics really do compare with the more expensive.


Some mics I can recommend:

At2020. $99

Has a nice amount of highs but doesn’t sound bright to my ears. Can sound a bit thin but for many vocalists, this mic is pretty hard to beat and sounds clean and modern.


Shure SM57 $99

Not necessarily dark but midrangy and somewhat grainy. Not the most transparent sound but for vocals can add character that’s hard to get on certain condensers.

Blue Spark $200

IMO a very balanced sound that doesn’t sound edgy. Another hard to beat mic for a well balanced modern sound.

Shure Sm7b $350

This mic is dark sounding but in a good way. Right out the box it can sound a little too dark. But if you remove the screen and play with the EQ switches, it can sound sweet. This is the Thriller mic.

Electrovoice RE20 $400

This mic is a little “grittier” than the Shure sm7. Not bright at all. Definitely a character mic. Back in the day this was Stevie Wonder’s mic. And I think Wu-Tang as well as Kendrick Lamar using this in some songs.


Akg c414 xls $1000

About the darkest condenser I’ve used. That said it can even be a little sibilant at times and produce hell of low mid. This mic will probably lose if you compare it to cheaper condensers below in an untweaked state. It is best to be far from this mic or you will just get a muddy sound. So what makes this mic great? It responds great to EQ. It also has a variety of built in filters. With proper EQ, this mic can produce much cleaner tailored vocals than other mics. That said it can sound a bit too clean. This is definitely a tweakers mic. It also has about every polar pattern known to man. Not a great choice for the non tweaker but you asked for a mic that’s not bright. Also many rappers/singers supposedly used an older variation of this mic. Jay Z, Tupac, Kanye, Timbaland, Whitney Houston, Stevie Wonder. I think the older version is not as clean (which many people liked the transformer coloration). That said people more often report them using a U87.
Old 10th March 2018
  #56
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
kinda funny




maybe i should change my name to "resurrector" .... thanx for the info


any personal infos about akg c414 tl II anyone? .... i already read alot about it on gearslutz and won't open a new thread but if you have some personal experience with it let me know
I have an c414 xls which is a darker version of the Tl II. I’ve played with a Tl ii. It is bright sounding and sibilant. It is supposed to have a similar curve to the classic c-12. I have a c-12vr, which is also bright but has a little tube coloration to give it character.

If you already have a bright voice, I don’t think the Tl ii will help.
Old 10th March 2018
  #57
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrimes11 View Post
I have an c414 xls which is a darker version of the Tl II. I’ve played with a Tl ii. It is bright sounding and sibilant. It is supposed to have a similar curve to the classic c-12. I have a c-12vr, which is also bright but has a little tube coloration to give it character.

If you already have a bright voice, I don’t think the Tl ii will help.
the akg c414 xl II was my first mic, i liked the overall sound but it was a little to spitty and sibilant .... then i start my mic odessey ... but after 2 years i didn't find a mic that i really like more overall ...

the c414 xls was for a long time on my "i will try it" list but i read the tl II was the last c414 version without this weird top end harshness that the newer models have (apparently for someone)

so i bought a tl II some days ago for cheap but hadn't the time to test it against my xl II in the studio ...

if i still don't like it i will sell it and maybe try the at4050 for my multipattern condenser needs.
Old 13th March 2018
  #58
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 

This might be an ancient thread, but it's a common question I hear often.. I still say Oktava all the way (though not specifically for a u87 'clone'), for a vintage Neumann type sound that doesn't have the ridiculous sibilance and artificial high frequency bump that modern Chinese mics have. I think a lot of people now days would consider the Oktavas to be 'dark', but I think of them to be more natural/neutral/organic sounding; un-hyped and more mid-range-centric than the majority of budget mics out there today. People often mod these mics (for good reason; they can be improved by some simple changes), but even stock, they hold up to many 1000$+ mics. Not sure why they're so overlooked (other than they have a more 'vintage' type sound, without the brightness of most modern mics..?)
Old 20th March 2018
  #59
Here for the gear
An ancient thread but, a timeless topic...

The U87 will not make an artist sound like another artist. Tone begins with the vocalist, not with the microphone, not with any particular preamp, this line of thought will only lead you astray.

Yes, every studio I've ever worked in had at least one U87 but then again, I've never been in a studio which did not own multiple SM 57's!

If, you are seeking magic within gear, you are looking in the wrong direction. Any magic which may be found within music, lies within the artists who you record, not within the gear used to capture their artistry.

I am not saying, a U87 is not an outstanding microphone, I'm saying, if, the artist in front of the microphone does not sound "GREAT" without a microphone then, no microphone on Earth will make them sound that way, and this, is the cold, hard,truth of the matter. Want a better tone? Begin with the source-ALWAYS.

Do not chase greatness, create greatness.
Old 21st March 2018
  #60
Lives for gear
 
atma's Avatar
 

AMEN!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump