The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic for rap vocals >1000 Condenser Microphones
Old 7th November 2011
Not sure what mic that is any more info.
Old 8th November 2011
Gear maniac

Sorry me bein lazy on iPhone, TLM127
Old 20th November 2011
Gear maniac

Sounds nice man, vocal sound kinda reminds me of Jeru the damaja nice n thick but up front too ,

Which rev of the 414 did you use ?

btw cover looks dope !
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

drethe5th, your **** sounds really good, and well mixed. Propers, indeed.
Old 21st November 2011
Gear interested

1st off, good question to post - I have been involved in Hip Hop production for about 16 years now, everything from the real deal studio to closet vocal booths at the back of your mum's house and seen alot of microphones and pre's in use.

Took the plunge on a U87i about 8 years back, I don't regret it, only problem is you can hear every nuance of the vocalist, which is bad news for mediocre emcee's as they tend to come off as a salivating, mumbling mental patients, however talented, hard working types, sound amazing. All of that aside, I have heard some great rap vocals, time and time again on a good old SM58! I put that down to technique, soooo many emcees are really uncomfortable in front of a mic stand and cradle, they are used to rapping into hand held mics and the good ones have a great handheld mic technique that you can take advantage of.

You can have the best of both worlds with a Neumann KMS 105
Old 22nd November 2011
@serious
What 414 Mic? Im not 100% sure of which one. There's so many versions of it. The Nueman was a 103.

The artist who did the graphics and graffiti was a cat from San Fransisco. Daniel Oquinn. My mix engineer met him at an art showing and linked us up.

@heretic skeptic
As for sound here's the audio crumb trail.

Music Production: My House

Vocal and Guitar Recording:
Rob Stojak

Mixing: Mike McConell

Mastering:
John Greenham

Keep in mind I went to 10+ year professionals for help. I went as far as possible at home, including sequencing and background vocals.

My point is with technique & knowledge skill, the actual gear becomes less important. I covered a lot of range before leaving home to hit the bigger studios.

Dont underestimate your current gear, dont underestimate your self either.
Old 22nd November 2011
I use a Great River MP-2NV . The amount of gain needed varies. Also , the impedance settings varies .
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear maniac

Nice to hear thev103 in action thinking about adding one the the locker
Old 19th December 2011
Jack of all Trades
I have the Sm7b and the AKG c2000. I'm still new to the 2000, but so far I am really enjoying it. I even feel as though they sound similar, but the 2000 picks up a bit more detail and is a bit brighter in the upper mids.
Old 21st January 2012
Lives for gear

Indeed. The folks you went to definitely knew what they were doing, and so did you. I listened to about 5 or 6 of the itunes snippets, and your content was on point. I'm probably gonna buy your album. Really dug what I heard, and it never hurts to hear dope West Coast tunes.
Old 28th January 2012
Thanks man. If youve got a link for your work, PM me with ut.

Sent from my Gear Slutz Droid App
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Head

Both are great!!

I currently use SM7b on deeper male artist and I must say it sounds great, the only things I will say about the SM7b is that it requires a little more gain then other mics. So make sure you have a quality pre.
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

Indeed, will do.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search