The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How to make Kicks/Bass BANG without distortion?
Old 14th October 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

I say stop doing everything (mixing) in your MPC and do it in your DAW and see how it sound then, it is worth a try...I could not imagine trying to mix with my mpc!
Old 14th October 2011
Lives for gear

The mpc doesn't have good effects. Def a challenge
Old 14th October 2011
Gear Addict

Ooops...I assumed you were mixing in a daw...
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post

In my opinon Distortion is the first port of call when trying to bring harmonic content to a kick drum. It is a staple of my drum engineering - more so than compression. In fact i rarely use compression on a kick. Ocassionally i will apply some comp to the drum buss but rare. When recording audio (live drums) i may use comp on way in...

We're on the same page. I like the compression curve on the Decapitator for the "A" setting with kick drum, if I want a low endy kick. If I want the mids to pop I like the "E" setting. I don't like the compression curve quite as much, it's a little too rounding, but it jazzes up the mids really well.

I use it for excitement and compression at the same time.
Old 15th October 2011
Gear Head

If ur using a mpc...go get protools 9 n run it n there n then mix it...parallel comp works 4 me very well n I'm totally n the box with waves mercury...n its ur tastes in compression 4 wat ur lookin 4...back off the compression until it sounds clean but wit a lil dirt...then mix that in until u like it...n u may have 2 do it 3-5 times to get the frequency u want...jus my input

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 16th October 2011
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
We're on the same page. I like the compression curve on the Decapitator for the "A" setting with kick drum, if I want a low endy kick. If I want the mids to pop I like the "E" setting. I don't like the compression curve quite as much, it's a little too rounding, but it jazzes up the mids really well.

I use it for excitement and compression at the same time.
Umm, considering i still ask you for advice for drum sounds it makes sense we are on the same page Matt! I had no idea Decap was doing that - just know that 'e' makes everything better lol!

To be honest i took your advice in my latest session and didn't need decap! we used a seperate woofer as a mic to get that sub bottom. Some great mics, kit room ribbons, dynamics on the snare 1 top and 1 bottom overheads were some old vintage shizzle i was down with haha <--technical..a little comp on way in from an ashley and eq from allen and heath old vintage board sound gorgeous. Running real hot peaking just below 0db. sound was friggin awsome. Got second session tomorrow to finish up.

Been meaning to sort out time for skype dude sound like we need a catch up asap!

God Bless
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

turn your drums up and turn everything else down. High pass non bass parts. No need to clip
Old 2nd June 2019
Here for the gear

U gotta start with the kick u want and bring everything else down... the sound of the kick will distort at a csrtain level everytime if you try to turn it up too much to bang.

U can layer different frequencys and pitches of different kicks or the same kick. And or EQ each layer differently... or you can open a eq and take a narrow band and find the distorted frequency in your kick. (Shouldnt be much cuz u should start w a good unprocessed sample).... next u can make 2 layers and have compressors on each on the lower kick u can have the compressor hitting at a higher “attack” and the “release” all the way down.. and then the next kicks compressor you’ll have the opposite going on woth the “attack” all the way down. And the release a little longer... and blend the 2 to taste...

To recap: however you do it your basically looking at needing to build ur mix around the kicks best volume (wherever the kick hits the clearest), then u can layer kicks. The technique here is most often a hard tight hitting kick layered with a more bumpy/muffled booming type kick.... u can even layer up to 3 or 4 if you control your parameters on each of them to fit nicely with one another. But i usually stick to 3 max.. if i do 4 What i usually do is do that basic low kick and hard tight popping kick type layer.. with just 2 and blend those till i hear What i want the main “hit” of the kick frequency to sound like....ill then bounce those 2 kick regions into an audio file... and make that my sidechain linked to my sub bass.. and then i’ll go and layer a low kick, mid kick, and higher/texural/pop type kick together along with the side chain layer... from here i play with the semitones of pitch in each of the 3 layered kicks... for instance you’ll notice when you pitch one down a few semitones it will hit differently on each semitone.. so one could be down 5 semi tones, one could be up 3-5 semitones... and one could be down -1 semitones... but the 3 together would work in alliance to make a round full kick that you can subtly bump the sweet spot frequencys in and take out the bad frequencys of the others. Just make sure the layers of kicks you have and compress lr whatever sounds right with the melody and or the rest of the mix..

1. Set the volume of the mix around the kicks hitting point.
2. Layer kicks of different textures to create 1 texture
3. Change the pitch and eq of each layer till u get the best possible result that works with your mix.
4. Compression can do alot for kicks as well as sidechaining the kick to cut thru and bass or vocals/instrumentation.

The end result will leave you satisfied and after you do it you’ll realize its all about how much time ur willing to put into making it sound how u want....

Lastly if its overall volume ur looking for and are lacking in your tracks at the end stage.... and ur kicks are just not coming thru... its likely because of the first issue of the rest of the mix bumping at a volume that the kick would have to be extremely loud to bump with... so when u try to make it bump with the mix it distorts... do the gain staging and volume setup and look into a mastering plugin like Izotopes “ozone 8” where you can put a clean mix into a project after getting everything leveled perfectly arpund the kick and having ur mix bump at -7db on the stereo out and master fader.. while the stereo and master fader are both at 0. Important asf. That mix will have no dostortion amd will be a good even mix and ozone will master it up for u with its master assistant and make eq curves and alot on its own and then u can tweak anything from there and set ur maximizer ceiling to however loud u want.... enjoy
Old 2nd June 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
turn your drums up and turn everything else down. High pass non bass parts. No need to clip
Old 2nd June 2019
Lives for gear

I'd like to hope the OP succeeded since he's had about 8 years to work on it

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search