The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Basslines Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Basslines

Hey guys,

I've been listening to alot of DJ Premier//Pete Rock (etc) lately,

and i've been digging the basslines for a while now.

Do they record real bass guitars? (DI? Amped?) or is it all samples?

I've been wanting to buy a bass guitar for a while now, one of my friends is selling all his bass guitar stuff, so i was going to potentially get it, i'm just wondering if DI is what they use or if its an amp'd sound they mic up? or if its samples.

thanks
Old 29th September 2011
Gax
Lives for gear

depends, some of basslines in his songs are part of sample but on majority of songs they recorded live bass trough DI.
Old 29th September 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

just get a real bass, you will be happy you did!! IMO nothing sounds worse then a full sample with a low pass on it to use as the bass line, sounds like complete ass, I KNOW, they did that back in the day but it dont make it sound good! get a bass and if you have "the ear" you should be able to play the bas line over top of the sample and then use a HI pss on the sample so your bass sounds good and sticks out!
Old 29th September 2011
Here for the gear

Spectrasonics Trilian is great.... the key to it is quantizing. u can't have everything perfectly quantized u have to leave some notes playing naturally.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

yeah thanks guys, i checked out Trillian, alot of people seem to be using it for basslines.

I myself want a real bass (a p-bass), i just wanted to know if they usually mic up an amp or DI, thanks guys

I think ill try to pick up that dude's bass guitar and start messing around via DI.

been doing the sample/synth thing way too long.
Old 29th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrown View Post
yeah thanks guys, i checked out Trillian, alot of people seem to be using it for basslines.

I myself want a real bass (a p-bass), i just wanted to know if they usually mic up an amp or DI, thanks guys

I think ill try to pick up that dude's bass guitar and start messing around via DI.

Hey, I have a p-bass and I DI, then I use Amplitube Ampeg usually. Sounds great.
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by overgrown View Post

yeah, go with a real bass. As for their beats, some may have real bass, some not, but like RTR said a real bass will always sound best for your beats, no matter what they used.

A lot of ppl do both today, DI and amped together, then blend the two signals in mixing. For hip hop, DI is probably preferred as it can give you a more up front bassline in the mix. I'd say get the bass and record DI to start, along with an amp sim if you want, then if you want to try mic'ing an amp add that later on.

Also, get yourself some La Bella "Jamerson" flatwound strings on that p-bass for the best low end.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Recording bass is a great idea. I have a Japanese Fender J and I play, but I'm kind of crappy at bass/lazy haha. I've been using the bass from Kontakt and I've been happy with it. You can judge for yourself, I made this track the other day and I like the bass. (It comes in around 0:20.)

Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Premier and pete rocks basses always sounded like synth basses or sampled synth basses to me not live bass.
Old 30th September 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

1 Preem and PR bass - 16 levels on the MP\multipitch on the SP
2 LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Flatwounds are great too.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you are good at programming drums, learn to play real drums.

If you are good at programming bass parts, buy a bass and learn to play it.

Half of the equation is being able to hear the music in your mind. Thats the part you cant teach. Learning to play just takes a few years of practice.
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear
I would recommend DI bass. The plugins are nice, but if you have a great bass and a matching DI, the tone will be a lot easier to sit in the mix for multiple reasons.

Once you introduce a Mic into the mix, thats a whole new variable that you may not want to deal with unless you have solid experience micing a cab.

I have never heard a bass plugin that is amazing. The closest to something that works for beats for me is the Studio Devil. Don't get me wrong, the Ampeg one is real nice as is the Softube, but I am speaking to what I prefer as a bassist and bass tone snob. lol.

What I would suggest is a properly matched DI sent through a plug that can distort the tone how you want it. This will keep the lows in check and not muddy up the bottom (which is held down by the kick and sub).
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog View Post
If you are good at programming drums, learn to play real drums.

If you are good at programming bass parts, buy a bass and learn to play it.

Half of the equation is being able to hear the music in your mind. Thats the part you cant teach. Learning to play just takes a few years of practice.
I also like random flukes too. Music production shouldn't be as controlled as it is right now.
Old 1st October 2011
SEED78
a lot of golden era hip hop rarely had real bass guitar on in as far as I know.

> bass filtered from loop

> 16 level mpc and the alternative on sp 1200 played from single sample

> synth bass - juno 106 for example was popular choice - if you are decent at programming tweaking presets you can get a decent bass out of most decent hardware synths. Emu Mo' Phatt module has some usable bass's - Premo has or had one of these in his studio from pics I've seen, although have no way of telling if he used it for that.

Starting a hip hop home studio bass was big deal for me (also from growing up during the drum and bass era in UK), so having synths I could bash bass out of was one of my first concerns. I have a Roland SH2 made in '78, and many claim that kills even the moogs for bass. Got original Novation Bass Station keyboard too + few other things.

Anyone try the Alesis Nano bass? Always thought that might be a versatile cheap unit to add to ever growing 'might be cheap and useful' list. heard build quality isn't all that, but still...
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

I know people have said the same but I really don't think Primo or Pete Rock were using live bass, much, if at all. I know Pete Rock has talked about using 16 levels to do bass.

The only heavily sampled music of that time where I know that live bass was used a lot is Bay Area hip hop of the same time frame. It sounds much different than the east coast stuff.

That said, though I filter my bass some what often, it has to be the right sample for it to work well. It has to have great bass and lack of much kicks and any other instrument that gets in the sub 300hz or so frequency range. Even then, it is usually harder to mix correctly, and harder to have it be loud in the mix and still sound great.

That doesn't mean I would go straight to live bass. I often prefer using synth basses, even if I am replaying the bassline of the sample. I also like using bass loops, chopped up. It similar to filtering but you only have bass, just rearrange the loop to replicate/mimic the original, or make your own pattern. I never actually use the loops as is. That's not to say I would never use live bass, it just is not my favorite (I don't play myself but have some friends).

Lastly, old techniques are great to understand a concept but not always great to keep running with. As much as I love some of my first albums, they don't sound as good as they could have. We have so much more to work with. Use these things to your advantage.
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Addict

I have to agree with 3rdDegree above. It's clearly evident that Pete Rock and Primo rarely used live bass back then, but for the most part filtered bass loops from their samples and used them as they were, or re-arranged the bass notes on their pads and created different patterns with the filtered lows. Pete Rock has mentioned in interviews that he sometimes he would invite bass players over the studio to record over some of his beats, but that wasn't the norm. Let's not forget these cats were 100% sample based producers.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Yea...samples filtered or sound modules. 808's.

Whoever was saying or cosigning "live bass will always sound better" is high on drugs. Don't subscribe to this.

Every song's different, sometimes you need Live bass, sometimes you need synth bass, sometimes you need filtered samples. It all depends.

Pete & Preem though? Samples, filtered, sound modules/synths most of the time will get you there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search