The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Inspiration
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Inspiration

Does anyone have any advice for inspiration for writing songs?

Sometimes I feel inspired for an hour or so and write as much as I can, usually a verse or two. It doesn't sound like much, but I take time on my lyrics because I feel lyrics are the most important thing, and getting across a positive message. Basically, the last few weeks, I just get aggravated, because I WANT to write, but I can't. Writer's block maybe? Like I want to be that guy who just writes all day but I seem to lose inspiration. I'm trying to take this rap thing as far as I can, but I'm slowly writing less. No way will I give up, but yeah if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!

By the way, any advice for developing better flow?
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Inspiration

Talk about what you KNOW about. If it's real it's easy.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

I mostly write about issues in the world like racism, poverty, government, hatred, etc. Even though I can't really relate to some of em, I still like to write about em. I'm gonna take a hot bath and see if I can write in there, haha. Never tried it before, so its worth a shot.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

well, i'm not one for writing raps, usually, however, here are some suggestions that i use when i write.

I write in a book with a pencil. Left side of the page is for ideas, right side of the page is for more solid lyrics and lines. Left side of the page i might jot down single words, phrases, or concepts, or i might jot down possible lines to be considered or worked on. Its just brainstorming ideas and putting them down so that something might come together and give me a great line or a great verse or point me in the right direction.

When i feel like my ideas are coming together, i use the right side of the page to put down more definitive lyrics.

Probably much like you, i'll often get a great idea for a song and get stuck after 1 great verse, or you come up with a hook and a pre, but cant lock in the verses. thats what the left side of the page is for, just throw ideas down there until something clicks. Being able to look over all of your ideas at once can be very helpful.

Also, this might or might not work as well for a rapper, but typically, most songwriters like to write with other people. 2 people in a room together writing can bounce ideas off of each other in a way that one person cant. it can be very effective, and you find that you can build off of each others ideas much more effectively than you can build on just your own.

good luck! -Ken
Old 19th September 2011
Yup.

An easy way to escape writers block is to escape music altogether.

1) Go do something or go somewhere else, preferably somewhere new to you. Even more so with new people.

2) Listen to music thats not in your comfort zone. If your'e an hip-hop MC your default is R&B. Avoid that and find some Rock, Latin or country music to listen to.

3) Watch the news. CNN especially.

4) Read a novel. Especially a biography of anyone that interests you in a personal way. Their opinion and insight will further spark ideas in your head and reading will also broaden your vocabulary to help acheive a better flow.

Sent from my Gearslutz.com App
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for your insight Ken!

I do use that idea thing, but I write in notepad on my PC, but in notebooks when I'm in class :P but I always jot down something that sounds good in my phone when it comes to me, and I usually form it into a verse or a hook.

As for friends, I've never tried that, I'll have to give it a try.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't write much and I have been writing less and less. However, I work closely with a few rappers. Quite often, I develop a concept and a rapper works out the details. I find this works very well. I have both a concept and an instrumental, they fill in the blanks in their own style.

Also don't confuse content with a concept. You may want to write a politcal track but if you concept is "politics", it will likely be boring. That should be your content and develop a unique concept around your own political views or personify something political, for example. Lets take a song we know, say "Nas is like". His concept wasn't "making a song about me", his concept was actually more along the lines of "What/who am I like". He was very creative in his comparisons, instead of merely stating his characteristics, personality, history, and accomplishments, making it a vastly more interesting song.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks everyone who responded, I appreciate it!

I'll try various techniques posted above.

On a side note, check out my first fully recorded song, let me know what you think:

Blame Final by gackii on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search