The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running audio through external mic pre for color Channel Strips
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Running audio through external mic pre for color

I'd like to run audio (drum track) out of my sound card (steinberg MR816), through a mic pre (Vintech x73i or API 512c) and back into the MR816 again to record the colored sound. Am wondering the best way to do this as I know the only inputs that do not go through the MR816's pre amp stages are the inserts of 1 & 2. Also, I think I'd need to attenuate the signal somehow so I could plug into the mic pre inputs to saturate. Anyone else doing this that can give me the proper setup?
Old 18th September 2011
Well, the vintech has a line in.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes, but found this in another post:

"If you do get some x73's, consider also getting some -40db line pads. That way, instead of running into the line ins, you can go into the mic pre's to bring it back up to line level and take advantage of the pre saturation."
Old 18th September 2011
That addresses the signal level but not impedence of signal. If the mismatch works on a good way. Awesome, sometime it don't. Depend on what your using. I use di's when I do & and have things I drive at line level so nothing is needed...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Avedis audio sells a line pad-z. If your go to their site and go to the MA-5 page, scroll down.

It makes your mic pre input "think" it's a mic level signal. I think this includes impedance.
I spoke to them, and they even suggested trying a radial JDI, as the radial has balanced inputs, and mic level outputs.
However, out of my apogee duets balanced line level outputs, when inserting into either of my mic pres (bae1073 & api512c) I seem to get a high pitch ringing sound, even with the radial JDI. I'm not sure if this is a duet problem, or an impedance issue..
But I would suggest retrying the line pad-z, as it is only around $30 or so, and the radial JDI is around $200.

Either one is worth a try.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would just try it yourself with both and let us know how it worked out. I've learned ALOT by just tryin' random stuff like that. It will probably be a good thing..
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Ended up getting an A Designs ATTY and going to give that a try. Thanks for the posts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search