The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC's a thing of the past? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

MPC's a thing of the past?

I'm from the younger generation of techys mainly recording on DAWs. I'm getting into the hiphop subgenre of beatstrumental, similar to flying lotus, J Dilla sort of absrtact hip hop.
I'm looking for heavily swung, off beat drum tracks and smooth bass.

I've been looking into buying a controller as i'm tired of clicking and scissoring and i want to get a real human feel to my tracks.

I've been told the MPC 1000jjos is gona give the best go for what i'm looking to achieve but i've heard complaints of laggy connections to computers, long loading times and fiddling around with old memory cards and floppy disks. Basically that the MPC is heavily outdated.
As a result i have been looking into the NI Maschine, my only concern is it's gona sound too clean and quantised and too much like, in my opinion, the pop hop young money millionaire bollocks of todays charts music.

So i would like to discuss what owners of MPCs or Maschines or both think about what i or anyone else in this situation should do

I'm using:
Logic Pro 9 on a 2011 macbook
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

if you goto SFlogicninjas youtube page and check out the quantization and groove template tutorial there is a link to an mpc 3000 groove template for 50% to 75% swing...its awesome
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
MPC's a thing of the past?
No.

Quote:
As a result i have been looking into the NI Maschine, my only concern is it's gona sound too clean and quantised and too much like, in my opinion, the pop hop young money millionaire bollocks of todays charts music
Complete BS, a sampler, whatever it is, will sound like the material you feed him.

I use Maschine and my beats can sound raw with a funky groove, if I want to.

Forget about forum wanking and grab what you feel is the tool you need.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Try ableton live man and get a controller. Problem solved.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Talent, Logic, Mac, this 3 thing you need to be successful dont bother about other things until you dont sell first beat.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

People will tell you that you can do all the processing on the computer and there is no need for a big piece of dated hardware.Actually,in the pop hop world today folks actually want to hear synthetic "perfect" productions(they have been conditioned).Want grit?use a dirty plug in emulater!!!Anyway,the mpc1000 is pretty clean sounding.I would suggest maschine AND a sp1200 to go along with it.I mean studeo s always had tons of gear in and guitarists usually have many different guitars.....Variety is the spice of life.No compromises.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

sorry if i have offended you godphaser...
I don't own any pad controllers so i wouldnt know and i'm just going off what i've heard and i'd like to hear your opinions
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Also hardware is no thing of the past by any means. Gotta love the latency free aspects of it. Even though I recommended ableton u gotta use somethin that's fits you. It took me several daws and workstations before I found the optimal fit with ableton.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazban View Post
sorry if i have offended you godphaser...
I don't own any pad controllers so i wouldnt know and i'm just going off what i've heard and i'd like to hear your opinions
No problem, it's just this kind of topics are higly redundants and carry a lot of internet mystic.

I sincerely would recommend Maschine but you need decent computer and audio interface.

For me it is the best of both world: best pads ever, nice knobs, plug hosting (fx and instruments), auto mapping of plugs parameters, really nice sampling and slicing interface, komplete elements, lots of things like drive, comp, etc, a really nice library. Plus you can use it like a "hardware" thing without looking at monitors and touching mouse or you can go hybrid and use the controler and the mouse and have a look at your monitor too.

Recent MPC's are nice and transparent sounding, they are easy to setup, you switch it on and voila! But you'll def have to sync it or export tracks if you want to make a complete tracks with synths and ish.

Live with a controler is a powerful solution but you have to like Live, it has a really special UI to me and I can't work with it.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

and they said vinyl was a thing of the past when cds came out

floppy disk on mpc1000 ?? tutt
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Nothin tops vinyl and an mpc in beatmaking
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

You mentioned you want to make music that sounds like Dilla, so I see no reason why you would be looking at Maschine. afaik, he never used maschine on any of his beats. He used mpc's. If thats the sound you like, then get it. Samplers do have their own sound despite what some ppl say. Don't let features and technology sway your opinion away from the sound you like. If you get maschine and the mpc is the sound you really wanted, you'll waste lots of energy trying to re-make that sound on maschine, and never get there, when you could've just got that exact sound to begin with and spent that energy making more beats.

Also, there's no floppys needed for the 1000. All you need is a memory card and you can get them up to 2 gigs, so its like having an internal hard drive virtually to where you almost never even have to take it out. Plus you can load/save all your samples via usb on your computer anyways and never even need a memory card if you want.

Forget maschine, mpc's are a thing of the past in todays music, but if the music of the past is what you like, then get an mpc and you'll have the sound your looking for.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thinking about Dilla's latter productions, the instrumental stuff. Those drum patterns were fairly simple and I could easily mimic that on a computer.

Howver, your statements about old memory cards and floppies, etc does not apply to the MPC 1000 w/jjos. Stop relying on what you hear from others.. and investigate for yourself. That is a pretty broad conclusion to draw from hearsay. tutt
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
Forget maschine, mpc's are a thing of the past in todays music, but if the music of the past is what you like, then get an mpc and you'll have the sound your looking for.
First "an MPC" doesn't mean anything.

If he buys a 2500/500/1000/4000/5000, it will prolly sound like Maschine if he has a decent audio interface.

Second, magic sampler sound is nothing compared to a nice workflow.

Feed any sampler with Dilla like material and it will sound like Dilla.

Take the exact same complete setup as Dilla and feed it with something different and it will not sound like Dilla at all.

My advice is: go for the best workflow and possibilities not for the mimic, be you.
Old 18th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
You mentioned you want to make music that sounds like Dilla, so I see no reason why you would be looking at Maschine. afaik, he never used maschine on any of his beats. He used mpc's. If thats the sound you like, then get it. Samplers do have their own sound despite what some ppl say. Don't let features and technology sway your opinion away from the sound you like. If you get maschine and the mpc is the sound you really wanted, you'll waste lots of energy trying to re-make that sound on maschine, and never get there, when you could've just got that exact sound to begin with and spent that energy making more beats.
And Flying Lotus is DAW, so its a tie
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

peep the signature and guess what i used : )

i have to type some more for the sig to show...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

All you need is a pad controller. You have one of the BEST workstation. If you got a old ass MPC you would still have to track right into Logic!

I've made everything form R&B, Hip Hop, ambient, and music for games using ONLY Ableton Live with NO swing templates! Btw...I use to own the MPC2000XL. Don't miss it all. Ableton is a workhorse!!!! Click my sig...Talk is cheap!

Good luck bro.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I don't think the MPC as a concept is a thing of the past but I do think the majority of available MPC's are...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewingstuff View Post
peep the signature and guess what i used : )

i have to type some more for the sig to show...
This is NICE bro! You off beat mofo!!!! Luv'n tho!
Old 18th September 2011
Yes , MPC`s are a thing of the past. Guitars and pianos too. It does not stop talented people making great music with them.

Let me just say that MPC`s were outdated over a 15 years ago. rackmount samplers ,Roland digital workstations all had improved sound and features. But it`s the simplicity of the workflow that makes it special. The rock solid reliability, and the familiarity of working with a machine over many years.
It becomes your instrument , like a simple six string guitar is.

Software/ controllers will constantly be subjected to upgrades , improvements, also subject to a computers lifespan. I doubt whether anyone will be using Maschine in ten years.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Yes , MPC`s are a thing of the past. Guitars and pianos too. It does not stop talented people making great music with them.

Let me just say that MPC`s were outdated over a 15 years ago. rackmount samplers ,Roland digital workstations all had improved sound and features. But it`s the simplicity of the workflow that makes it special. The rock solid reliability, and the familiarity of working with a machine over many years.

Software/ controllers will constantly be subjected to upgrades , improvements, also subject to a computers lifespan. I doubt whether anyone will be using Maschine in ten years.
I agree 100%. The simplicity of the MPC is 2ndIINone.

I use the Akai MPD32 and I use Ableton the same way I used my MPC2000XL.

Clips>build sequences>arrange>mix and so on.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Maschine has a cool workflow, but I prefer the sound of my MPC via analog outboard into my DAW.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

thanks for all the input. I'm slightly more swayed toward the maschine, as godphaser mentioned it's not the gear but the input you give it and i also feel the the maschine will grow as i do bearing in mind it's a relatively new piece of equipment and is still being updated. also looking to be heavily integrated with logic through an audio interface and using it as a VST will heavily speed up workflow. I do think that at the end of the day i've never owned any kind of controller therefore i might be as fickle as to think 'aww i wish i didnt have to waste time with memory cards and importing' on the mpc rather than caring about it's signature sound while using maschine...
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its getting easier and easier to record hardware. Fireface UFX changed my workflow. DAW midi clock's are improving.

Personally I like switching things up and using different pieces. Hardware, software, analog, digital, mouse, tactile control, whatever. Sometimes one piece sometimes a few.

As far as MPC's I like the 5000. The Maschine Mikro looks interesting. I really dont like the sampling features on NI software. I prefer Live's. I dont think I would use all those knobs. If it would integrate better as a vst I would get one. With the Fireface tracking hardware got a lot easier. Just as easy as Maschine?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazban View Post

As a result i have been looking into the NI Maschine, my only concern is it's gona sound too clean and quantised and too much like, in my opinion, the pop hop young money millionaire bollocks of todays charts music.
that is like saying "if you own a strat your stuff is gonna sound like 70's blues rock."

if you can't get great results from something like Maschine, then you are probably doing it wrong.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
First "an MPC" doesn't mean anything.

If he buys a 2500/500/1000/4000/5000, it will prolly sound like Maschine if he has a decent audio interface.

Second, magic sampler sound is nothing compared to a nice workflow.

Feed any sampler with Dilla like material and it will sound like Dilla.

Take the exact same complete setup as Dilla and feed it with something different and it will not sound like Dilla at all.

My advice is: go for the best workflow and possibilities not for the mimic, be you.
I wasnt telling him to mimic dilla or sound like him. Just because you like the sound of someone elses equipment doesnt mean you are copying that artist by getting the same. dilla didnt invent the mpc. If you like the sound of an instrument, get it and put your own creativity into it, thats not copying. I'm not downing maschine, I'm just saying they sound different, so if you like one better, go with that one. For me at least, liking the sound is most important when buying something. Workflow is something that will increase through exp on the instrument, no matter what you buy. It it may be slow/akward at first if its something different than your used to, but over time you adapt/adjust, and the more you use it, the faster you get on it. Thats for any instrument not just samplers/sequencers. If I play s short scale bass then pick up a full size, its going to be tough at first to play and be slower than usual but over time you get used to it. Just gotta re-train your brain, and then your workflow becomes faster, its not the instrument.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

I stil use pots and pans and a kazoo to get that warmth.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think the mpcs are super outdated but they are still solid machines.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
I think the mpcs are super outdated but they are still solid machines.
bleh to 'outdated'
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
It's the simplicity of the workflow that makes Maschine special. It's an instrument.

Quote:
"Hardware" like MPCs are also just computers that runs on software. Software/controllers are no different than "hardware" as far as lifespan if you consider the fact that you can "freeze" your computer setup and don't have to upgrade. Most "hardware" are discontinued the moment they're released and hardly ever get software updates if ever.

And despite what some here would tell you, MPCs do experience constant crashes and are notorious for the pads/switches/screen dying with a shrinking supply of replacement parts, with some of the parts not even being made anymore like the MPC2k screens. The truth is that MPCs do freeze and crash and have bugs that never get fixed.

Case in point:
Akai MPC Forums - mpc 3000 freeze : MPC3000, MPC60
dxarmy.com sp1200 forum :: MPC 3000 Freeze
electro-music.com :: View topic - MPC 3000
Akai MPC Forums - bottom 4 pads not respondin like they used to : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Lost control of the pads : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - 2nd mp1000 stutters as hell + sequencing off timing : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Lame ass mpc! : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - has anyone modified their broken jog wheel? : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC tact switches started goin out : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - Q-link slider generates random midi data - pcb problem? : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - weird MPC SYNC problem... : MPC1000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC 5000 OS 2.0 Bug Thread : MPC5000
Akai MPC Forums - MPC4000 screen has stopped working : MPC4000

Like it or not, the MPC is a dead platform. The fact that Akai's online store itself no longer sells any new MPC and only has some refurbished items for sale now should give you a clue.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search