The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC's a thing of the past? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
I have an op1. Its a fun piece. I also use a daw and a mpc. I still find the mpc's song mode the easiest way to arrange.

A thing of the past? hahahaha

I really ENJOY the song mode on the MPC's as well. Really allows me to hear not see whats going on with the composition.
Old 8th October 2011
Lives for gear

On a second note....

An MPC and Mainstage as a module, and you can compete with anything out there.
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Head
Could any mpc 1000 user please comment on the optional hdd?

Does it change or have advantages to composition / workflow on the mpc or does it just fill a storage function for samples?
Old 9th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafugi View Post

Does it change or have advantages to composition / workflow on the mpc or does it just fill a storage function for samples?
A hard drive is for storage of files.

I'd recommend not getting a regular hard drive though since they are more prone to failure due to all the banging you do on the mpc.

There is a SSD mod you can do where you can take a compact flash card and use that as an internal HD. You just gotta buy an extra adapter (like 5 bucks) to latch onto the tray thingy. There is in depth detail and step by step instructions on mpcforums.
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Well i gotta say from using briefly the maschine again recently and my experiences with the mpc range...............I mucho pefer the mpc due to the fact its the most solid and latency free mode of beat sequencing(as always then).SO,its certainly not a thing of the past.BTW im also using now the new breed of sampler the octotrack so im also not clinging to the past lol.They have all got there place but lets not get ahead of ourselves imagining we are in the future due to the fact were utilizing our all powerful computer.Plug ins or not.....
Old 9th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafugi View Post

Nope. Unfortunately you're still limited to 128MB of samples at once on a MPC1000. And forget about regularly backing up that optional hard drive which, along with compact flash cards, WILL fail at some point (all media have lifespans and failure rates) through the bottleneck of that USB1.1 port. You're talking SLOOOOOOOOOooooooooW transfer rate of 12Mb/s max.
Old 10th October 2011
Here for the gear

yo

EN TO THIS **** ITS THE BEST! ReverbNation
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzika View Post
A hard drive is for storage of files.

I'd recommend not getting a regular hard drive though since they are more prone to failure due to all the banging you do on the mpc.

There is a SSD mod you can do where you can take a compact flash card and use that as an internal HD. You just gotta buy an extra adapter (like 5 bucks) to latch onto the tray thingy. There is in depth detail and step by step instructions on mpcforums.

That mod is the truth. 32 GB card as a SSD and a 32GB in the front equals heaven.

The HDM-10's were out of stock for a long time, it looks like Akai restocked though.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Let me make this really simple if you are using this as a sampler. If you are not using more than 16 chops, you have not out grown this machine. Really if you don't chop up more than 64 pieces, this machine isn't limiting you in any way. Depending on which MPC you are using, if you are not running out of sample time, you are being limited either.

I often go beyond 64 slices and depending on which MPC I am currently owning, I may max out the sample time. That's why I have moved on. On simple beats, I may just patch my 1000 in.

That doesn't mean this machine is for everyone. You just can't say it newer technology is better you are not exceeding the technology of this machine. That doesn't mean you should use it, you just can't legitimately say it's dated until you have exceeded it's capabilities. Most people have not.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O View Post
On a second note....

An MPC and Mainstage as a module, and you can compete with anything out there.
Let me correct myself here. Compete yes... but speed wise, well my MBP and a controller is stupidly fast.
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O View Post
Let me correct myself here. Compete yes... but speed wise, well my MBP and a controller is stupidly fast.
Nice backtrack...
Old 10th October 2011
Here for the gear

im a long time user of the mpc2000xl. I've had it for about 8 years or so and have really enjoyed using it. I didnt want to use a computer because i prefered the way hardware worked (although software can be complemented with controllers). I dont think mpcs are outdated as they are as current as what you sample and how you arrange your project. I dont find the sample time an issue and even if i take 16 chops on the pads you have banks b,c and d still which can be accessed instantly. Also the pads on the xl are great and beating drums with differing velocity can make for some interesting productions.
I must admit that I have swapped out my floppy drive for a cf reader but i think the later models have this already. You also benfit from usb on some of these models but im quite happy runnin my mpc through a sound card if i did want to connect it to a daw. I dont know a great deal about mashine but i would like to use one just to see what the deal is.
Several things I love about my mpc is the ease of use, the sound and the build quality mine is not far off ten years old!
To the op I read you wanted to make stuff like dilla. I believe all of the stuff people have discussed can do this but in order for you to get the style your lookin for you need to have a good relationship with what your using.
I used an mpc because I am unable to get the same quality from a daw. Not because daws are the lesser option but because of my short commings. Its about whats best in your workflow. This was easy for me to decide as I dont enjoy using computers as much as hardware.
To cut along story short mpc's are very capable with the right person behind them as they are very dependant on what you put into them. But thats not to say a daw is no good for what you want.
Doesnt 9th wonder use software? he makes cool music maybe try and some daws as they are free to try.
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

re

will the machine laptop combo still be around in 20 years. I see and use 20 + year old mpcs all the time. That speaks highly of the original design.
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazeBros View Post
will the machine laptop combo still be around in 20 years. I see and use 20 + year old mpcs all the time. That speaks highly of the original design.
MPCs are notorious for the pads/switches/screen dying constantly with a shrinking supply of replacement parts, some of which are not even made anymore like the MPC2k screen. Like it or not, the MPC is a dead platform. The fact that Akai's online store itself no longer sells any new MPC and only has some refurbished items for sale now should give you a clue. It will only get more difficult/impossible to fix and maintain MPCs as time goes by because of its very nature of being an obsolete, extremely limited, and proprietary computer that it is.

Maschine, on the other hand, is very much future proof because of its modular approach, given that people already keep their computers up to date on their own anyway, that makes it far easier for developers and users to evolve with the platform as technology moves forward as it inevitably will.
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Addict

Real acoustic instruments are "things of the past"

Orchestras should have their musicians use laptops and MIDI controlers with their desired vsti.

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzika View Post
Real acoustic instruments are "things of the past"

Orchestras should have their musicians use laptops and MIDI controlers with their desired vsti.
hehheh
that's what I'm talking about

pianists and violinists are thing of the past, the new guys will be maschinists, kontaktists and omnishperists.
Old 11th October 2011
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
hehheh
that's what I'm talking about

pianists and violinists are thing of the past, the new guys will be maschinists, kontaktists and omnishperists.
sad thing is..this may very well be true 50,60,70 years from now.

Of course, with the speed of pseudo-technology, by that time 10 different prototypes will have replaced "Maschine", "Omnisphere" and "Kontakt".
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
sad thing is..this may very well be true 50,60,70 years from now.

Of course, with the speed of pseudo-technology, by that time 10 different prototypes will have replaced "Maschine", "Omnisphere" and "Kontakt".
nah.

you should understand that there are products for professionals, and there are products for hobbists/upcomers/amateurs. the latter brings the greater money for companies.

professionals won't get so enthusiastic when a company drops a midi controller with a software and call it the biggest instrument since piano.
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Let me make this really simple if you are using this as a sampler. If you are not using more than 16 chops, you have not out grown this machine. Really if you don't chop up more than 64 pieces, this machine isn't limiting you in any way. Depending on which MPC you are using, if you are not running out of sample time, you are being limited either.

I often go beyond 64 slices and depending on which MPC I am currently owning, I may max out the sample time. That's why I have moved on. On simple beats, I may just patch my 1000 in.

That doesn't mean this machine is for everyone. You just can't say it newer technology is better you are not exceeding the technology of this machine. That doesn't mean you should use it, you just can't legitimately say it's dated until you have exceeded it's capabilities. Most people have not.
Max out sample time using an MPC? Doesn't sound like creative slicing...sounds more like you are completly ripping off someone's song. If you are using the MPC 1000/2500, try using the JJ OS. Extremely difficult to max out sample memory using nondestructive chopping.
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
you should understand that there are products for professionals, and there are products for hobbists/upcomers/amateurs. the latter brings the greater money for companies.

professionals won't get so enthusiastic when a company drops a midi controller with a software and call it the biggest instrument since piano.
Huh? Are you calling these cats "hobbists/upcomers/amateurs"?

Old 11th October 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

you know what? the pads on my 3k feels just like a robot version of the of my wifey's ass. Wish my D would be as rigid as my 3k's sequence running.
so how can you ever be so blasphemous to even ask that question?
Old 23rd October 2011
Here for the gear

MPC 4K for life

There is virtually nothing that cannot be done within the maze of parameter options on this beast. Filtering tweaks recorded live no problem... slice to midi track (Ableton) 4k does that too.. even creates new patterns... Ive been buying and selling and producing since 1988 and have ALWAYS had an MPC in my studio. The 4000 is the most comprehensive and complicated MPC and few people get into all they have to offer. I recorded my Family Man featuring Fat Boy Slim on solely an MPC 2000 moved with a Zip Drive and that was in 1997 but my life changed after I got the 4000. MPCs have their place and always will.
Old 23rd October 2011
Gear Maniac

The MPC is a hip hop god & always will be. I personally would never start such a blasphemous thread for fear that It could lead to me being entrapped underground with a Maschine.
Old 23rd October 2011
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddyfresh View Post
There is virtually nothing that cannot be done within the maze of parameter options on this beast. Filtering tweaks recorded live no problem... slice to midi track (Ableton) 4k does that too.. even creates new patterns... Ive been buying and selling and producing since 1988 and have ALWAYS had an MPC in my studio. The 4000 is the most comprehensive and complicated MPC and few people get into all they have to offer. I recorded my Family Man featuring Fat Boy Slim on solely an MPC 2000 moved with a Zip Drive and that was in 1997 but my life changed after I got the 4000. MPCs have their place and always will.
props mr fresh - i have your 'rap records' book, very useful resource - and your own records have found their way into my collection too.

I am a 3000 user, 4000 is too deep for me. know many people swear by them though!

do you find the 4000 lacking in lows? or do you midi to a older sampler then you want a dusty vibe?
Old 13th November 2011
On the MPC 2000XL you can install a compact flash card reader. What about the multi-card readers? Can you use Smart Disks with it?

Thanks
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I am a 3000 user, 4000 is too deep for me. know many people swear by them though!

do you find the 4000 lacking in lows? or do you midi to a older sampler then you want a dusty vibe?
I can only speak of my own experience with the 4k and that is with the filters and resampling there is no lows that cannot be achieved.Infact its a mine of very low sonics(utilizing the filters).I will say though although ive never used a 3ooo ,that i do love the more vintage smooth tone of the older mpcs and all older style samplers.The 4k is on the threshhold of old and new.I can get lost for hours tweaking the q links and adjusting envelopes with 1 hand on the keyboard you know just like you do with a quality rack but with all the controls easily available and sequencer and pads ect.The 4k/z8/4 can get grimey when pitching but their real power is their huge sonic extremes(24 bit yo).FX are very refined too.
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazban View Post
I'm from the younger generation of techys mainly recording on DAWs. I'm getting into the hiphop subgenre of beatstrumental, similar to flying lotus, J Dilla sort of absrtact hip hop.
I'm looking for heavily swung, off beat drum tracks and smooth bass.

I've been looking into buying a controller as i'm tired of clicking and scissoring and i want to get a real human feel to my tracks.

I've been told the MPC 1000jjos is gona give the best go for what i'm looking to achieve but i've heard complaints of laggy connections to computers, long loading times and fiddling around with old memory cards and floppy disks. Basically that the MPC is heavily outdated.
As a result i have been looking into the NI Maschine, my only concern is it's gona sound too clean and quantised and too much like, in my opinion, the pop hop young money millionaire bollocks of todays charts music.

So i would like to discuss what owners of MPCs or Maschines or both think about what i or anyone else in this situation should do

I'm using:
Logic Pro 9 on a 2011 macbook
The Mpc5000 has a option in TC (Qnantize) where you can set the Quantize strength from 100%-0%
It proves very useful for that kind of off kind of on beat style J dilla and Nottz are known for.
Old 25th November 2011
I have the MPC2000XL but not much of a set-up to incorporate it to. I've used software for years but hardly any hardware. It took a few days for me to get comfortable with the MPC. Im not a power user, but I feel its very easy and quick using this.

I don't think I'll keep mine because I don't make hip hop and don't have much of a hardware set up to incorporate it into. If I did I'd probably keep it. I wanted to say the build quality is really good, the interface is easy and its just a really nice peace of gear to have. I don't like the 32mb limitation but it is what it is.

I was really surprised when I read the manual how thoughtful the feature set is. I think its a far better drum machine for editing samples than Battery 3 for example, I only wish I had the effects board for it.
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyn Zahav

I don't think I'll keep mine because I don't make hip hop and don't have much of a hardware set up to incorporate it into.
1. You can make any genre of music with an MPC
2. You can incorporate an MPC into a software set-up
Old 26th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
1. You can make any genre of music with an MPC
2. You can incorporate an MPC into a software set-up
Definitely, but some of the greatest strengths of the MPC lend themselves a lot to HipHop.

I have a really hard time knowing whether to keep it or not. I've posted it in the classifieds but I really don't know ... sigh. I really like it but I don't think I "need" it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search