The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MPC's a thing of the past? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPITAL View Post
As a Recording Studio Owner/ Engineer/ Artist / Gold Record Producer It's All About what's comfortable for you. I can say after using an MPC 3000 for Ten Years and every Keyboard Sampler and Beat Machine from Roland w30's, Asr10's, EPS16's, sp12's, sp1200's, MPC 2000xl, MPC 1000, Triton, Akai S1000 KB, Akai S950, S1000 Rack mounts, etc. I would never go back, Why?? I use Maschine now because it offers a workflow like No Other and gives me more sounds in 24 bit 44k / 48k that I couldn't and wouldn't want on those other dirty converters. I have a ULN8 Metric Halo and my Maschine with the New 1.7 update allows me to open any plugin out of my Waves, Softubes, TC Powercore, UAD or Whatever Arsenal of Plugs you have and do anything to a sound. Want it dirty like an MPC, No Problem. Do that on any of those old units. It speeds up just about any function I can name on any of those other outdated units. Ya I could use an MPC with lower quality converters but for what. I would rather have my spectrum of sound big and huge to start. A wave sound is a wave sound until you manipulate it to the way you like it. It's funny how people talk about getting that gritty sound like the old units. We had that sound because that was where technology was. We have options today that you can either take advantage of or ignore. I don't know about you guys but a Maschine with a good a/d converter offers much more flexibility and better sound quality. I make beats now with all my plugs in maschine and send it in directly to my DAW of choice ready to go sounding Big and Full. I even have my old MPC 3000 library of kiks and snars and sounds that I don't use because when I compare them to my New 24 bit Library It's Nite and Day... But Who Am I......
^ Real talk!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahuel View Post
yes there is a limitation, it's something about the bounce function I dont remember exactly what it is, I just know it's annoying and yes you have to pay for it if you want to use it even for non commercial use.

And your advice was to replace an mpc by reaper (for free) with komlplete... there's a least half a dozen more efficient options in ITB for beatmaking without trying to cheat on some smaller software compagny.
I wasn't talking about replacing an mpc with complete and reaper, i just stated that it would be a better option imo to buying maschine at this point. And NO, i'm not suggesting people cheat out on software, more like try an excellent daw for free that isn't crippled while you evaluate it. Come on it's like $ 60! When i wrap up the current project i'm working on, i'm going to switch over i think and buy it!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Heres my two cents... for the money and ease of workflowyou honestly cant beat ableton and machine. BUTTTTTT, if u are looking to go strictly hardware then skip the mpc and grab a used roland mv8000. Especially if u are looking for a flying lotus type feel. There are a million nand one mv bashers out there but I had the mpc 1000, 2500 and the mv at the same time. And after a year sold both mpc's. It just worked for me, plus u cant beat having 8 audio tracks and being able to hook up a monitor and mouse. Its all about your workflow so dont let someone else decide for u. Try em out and decide for yourself
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Nothings ever obsolete, except in your mind.

It's all in how U freak it. Or not.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Old 24th September 2011
Here for the gear

past
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Lots of new sounds can be made with old gadgets. It's all about creativity.
Old 1st October 2011
Here for the gear

hip hop drums hip hop samples hip hop loops hip hop kits mpc

I don't believe the MPC like a concept is anything of the past but I actually do think nearly all available MPC's tend to be
Lives for gear

MPC's rock. They will always have a place in music production. They aren't the only tool in the game, but they will always hold their own for what they do.

Why? They are fun to use. Best to look at them like an instrument. Pound away, make a beat. Smile. I rarely use them to make a full song, but that's just me.

After a long day of working and staring at a computer screen, I use the MPC as an escape. For me its just zen. Turn down the lights, grab a beer, rock out.

JJOS is awesome too. It expands the MPC feature set immensely. Without JJOS an MPC is pretty blah, unless it's an older one.

If you're trying to be the next Skrillex/wobble kid, probably better to just stay in software, but even then it still depends on how you like to work.
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS7 View Post
MPC's rock. They will always have a place in music production. They aren't the only tool in the game, but they will always hold their own for what they do.

Why? They are fun to use. Best to look at them like an instrument. Pound away, make a beat. Smile. I rarely use them to make a full song, but that's just me.

After a long day of working and staring at a computer screen, I use the MPC as an escape. For me its just zen. Turn down the lights, grab a beer, rock out.

JJOS is awesome too. It expands the MPC feature set immensely. Without JJOS an MPC is pretty blah, unless it's an older one.

If you're trying to be the next Skrillex/wobble kid, probably better to just stay in software, but even then it still depends on how you like to work.
Possibly true for the MPC 1000 but certainly not the 2500. The Akai OS for the MPC 2500 is light years ahead of the MPC 60, MPC 2000, MPC 2000XL and 3000.
Old 1st October 2011
SEED78
its very much chalk and cheese. I know people who make good reason/ableton/fruitloop beats - but when it comes to straight up hip hop an MPC/SP1200 with vinyl samples gives you something else if you use it right.

pro tool users who make pop hop and take their music to massive studios to get it more gritty still end up with what sounds to me like tinny tracks, just personal taste - compared to hardware using pop guys like Prodigy/Chemical Bros/Daft Punk/kanye West, just examples... who have best of most worlds, hardware + big studio with Neve SSL etc using engineers.

thing that massively puzzles me is dilla nut swingers (we need MORE Large Pro nut swingers) who get a 3000, then don't even want to sample on it????? they want to transfer their DL'd kicks via zip what a waste of cash if you are not even getting the sound of the sampler engine - better of routing through a vintage compressor or colour box from DAW. sure you get that 'swing', but still.

software or hardware, your choice of sounds or sample sources is what makes it hip hop. I've heard some real basic plain boring **** on youtube MPC 3000 demos - I know people who rock software better than that!

I think picking the right MPC for you is important, went through a 2000 classic and a 1000 with JJ until I sat in front of the MPC I wanted, the 3000
(connected to a s950 and other stuff) - now I feel like I've got a setup I (specifically MYSELF) can work with, so I'm now prepared to spend hours days and nights learning the thing inside out, learning how to layer kicks, chop samples. But thats really not for everyone, you can't even see waveforms on a 60/3000, thats gonna bug software only people out.

Bought logic 6 plat when it came out, haven't felt the need to upgrade - can't be doing with being on the laptop after 8hr work day on a mac. so track from MPC to logic once I know I have something worthwhile atempting to mix.

make sure you try other peoples MPCs before buying - MPC should be for life not just x-mas. MPC on ebay alwsys looks liek lost puppy, would give them all a home if I had the cash.
Old 1st October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
hardware using pop guys like Prodigy/Chemical Bros/Daft Punk/kanye West, just examples... who have best of most worlds, hardware + big studio with Neve SSL etc using engineers.
Chemical Bros replaced their MPCs with Maschine:

Old 1st October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome View Post
Possibly true for the MPC 1000 but certainly not the 2500. The Akai OS for the MPC 2500 is light years ahead of the MPC 60, MPC 2000, MPC 2000XL and 3000.
Wasn't the 1000 and 2500 running almost identical akai OS's?
Old 1st October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
its very much chalk and cheese. I know people who make good reason/ableton/fruitloop beats - but when it comes to straight up hip hop an MPC/SP1200 with vinyl samples gives you something else if you use it right.

pro tool users who make pop hop and take their music to massive studios to get it more gritty still end up with what sounds to me like tinny tracks, just personal taste - compared to hardware using pop guys like Prodigy/Chemical Bros/Daft Punk/kanye West, just examples... who have best of most worlds, hardware + big studio with Neve SSL etc using engineers.

thing that massively puzzles me is dilla nut swingers (we need MORE Large Pro nut swingers) who get a 3000, then don't even want to sample on it????? they want to transfer their DL'd kicks via zip what a waste of cash if you are not even getting the sound of the sampler engine - better of routing through a vintage compressor or colour box from DAW. sure you get that 'swing', but still.

software or hardware, your choice of sounds or sample sources is what makes it hip hop. I've heard some real basic plain boring **** on youtube MPC 3000 demos - I know people who rock software better than that!

I think picking the right MPC for you is important, went through a 2000 classic and a 1000 with JJ until I sat in front of the MPC I wanted, the 3000
(connected to a s950 and other stuff) - now I feel like I've got a setup I (specifically MYSELF) can work with, so I'm now prepared to spend hours days and nights learning the thing inside out, learning how to layer kicks, chop samples. But thats really not for everyone, you can't even see waveforms on a 60/3000, thats gonna bug software only people out.

Bought logic 6 plat when it came out, haven't felt the need to upgrade - can't be doing with being on the laptop after 8hr work day on a mac. so track from MPC to logic once I know I have something worthwhile atempting to mix.

make sure you try other peoples MPCs before buying - MPC should be for life not just x-mas. MPC on ebay alwsys looks liek lost puppy, would give them all a home if I had the cash.
this kinda cuts to the heart of it.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Yes MPCS are a thing of the past. I haven't used my 4k since earlier today before I left home.
Old 2nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Some people like to use a machine's limitations as a tool in itself. Not my preferred scenario, but it works for some people.
Old 6th October 2011
Are MPCs or similar units (MVs, Elektron gear, etc.) still very usefull, standalone and/or as centerpiece of a Studio (with Midi outboard)?
Do they still get used today?
Do they still work independently from a computer and OS upgrades/reinstalls?

Yes, yes, yes.

Do you need an MPC or would a DAW integrated concept like Maschine better fit your needs?

Only you can decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
Yes MPCS are a thing of the past. I haven't used my 4k since earlier today before I left home.
heh Haha!
Old 6th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Some people like to use a machine's limitations as a tool in itself. Not my preferred scenario, but it works for some people.
this idea is
1) true
2) largely unsung
3) beautiful,
4) the reason behind alot of awesomeness
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Head

I'm really curious as to hear from Maschine owners who have used the mpc60 & sp1200 emulators...and ideally the real things for comparison. And yes, which sampler you use can make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
this idea is
1) true
2) largely unsung
3) beautiful,
4) the reason behind alot of awesomeness

I'm of the mindset that creativity is greatly encouraged by perceived limitations and embodied by discovering the workaround.
Old 6th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
I'm really curious as to hear from Maschine owners who have used the mpc60 & sp1200 emulators...and ideally the real things for comparison.
"as a former owner of a sp1200 (black reissue) as well as a mpc60 mkii, i can cosign that the vintage mode on the maschine is so close to spot-on, that you'd be very hard pressed to find fault with it."
Maschine "vintage mode" TEST please - Page 3 - NI User Forums

" I find the emulation to be quite convincing, so much so that I stopped pining for the sp1200 I sold a year back..."
Mode: Vintage - Model: SP1200 - Filter: Low - NI User Forums

"It sounds almost the same as my SP12."
whose with me when saying the sp1200 mode Rocks - NI User Forums
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydigi View Post
Wasn't the 1000 and 2500 running almost identical akai OS's?
No. Akai made the deceision to limit the OS of the 1000 since the 2500 was their flagship product at the time. The JJ OS for the 2500 and 1000 are indentical.
Old 7th October 2011
Hobbs_Won
it's going to be 2012... there are so many options to get the sound you are looking for. It's virtually endless.

Madlib did so much legendary **** on a Boss SP-303... Listen to the Madvillain and Jaylib albums.... his arrangements were done entirely on a piece of equipment you can get off of ebay for less than $200 USD.

Don't let anybody tell you what you need or what will get you from point A to B. Get something that you can start expressing yourself on and the rest will take care of itself.
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=Hobbs_Won;7103226]

Madlib did so much legendary **** on a Boss SP-303... Listen to the Madvillain and Jaylib albums.... his arrangements were done entirely on a piece of equipment you can get off of ebay for less than $200 USD.

in case you can't tell, i'm a huge fan of the sp-303. heh
i know that thing in and out.

as long as music is still made by humans (and not the AI funk-bots of the future), then no gear will ever become *a thing of the past*

Cats are still killing it on SP202's. The only thing that becomes obsolete is YOU.
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Nut

Is a sampler and sequencer with no perceivable latency with a great user interface a thing of the past i.e mpc4k

Probably unfortunately its been improve with...

A sampler/seq combo (maschine + laptop) with a worse features and horrible latency.

Progress is a beautiful thing

G
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by foge View Post
Is a sampler and sequencer with no perceivable latency with a great user interface a thing of the past i.e mpc4k

A sampler/seq combo (maschine + laptop) with a worse features and horrible latency.

Progress is a beautiful thing

G
Good stuff, Foge !!! Luv dat MPC 4000 !
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm a guitar player as well as the hardware stuff so I'm never gonna argue that stuff like old gear or 6 note polyphony etc is obsolete

But...

Products like the teenage engineering OP 1 has features that the newer MPCs should have either definitely had or at least been more similar to

On first impressions, apart from not having 16 pads, I'd rather have that little keyboard thing than pretty much any MPC

Machinedrum, OP1, octatrack, iPhone apps etc all show there is room for improvement (or simply alternatives ) over certain aspects of the MPC user interface or general operation

A feature set implemented like the op1, a bigger 3.5-4" screen (and not another f'ing LCD) 16 pads, 12 or 24 bit sampling backed by a company that actually updated and supported it's software properly (i.e not Akai) and I'd probably use it in preference over the laptop...
Old 7th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by foge View Post

Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
No. Akai made the deceision to limit the OS of the 1000 since the 2500 was their flagship product at the time. The JJ OS for the 2500 and 1000 are indentical.
Yup. Before Akai put out the 2.xx OS, you really couldn't chop up samples on the machine, you could only chop off the beginning or the end, not slice it into multiple pieces.
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteSpirit View Post
I'm a guitar player as well as the hardware stuff so I'm never gonna argue that stuff like old gear or 6 note polyphony etc is obsolete

But...

Products like the teenage engineering OP 1 has features that the newer MPCs should have either definitely had or at least been more similar to

On first impressions, apart from not having 16 pads, I'd rather have that little keyboard thing than pretty much any MPC

Machinedrum, OP1, octatrack, iPhone apps etc all show there is room for improvement (or simply alternatives ) over certain aspects of the MPC user interface or general operation

A feature set implemented like the op1, a bigger 3.5-4" screen (and not another f'ing LCD) 16 pads, 12 or 24 bit sampling backed by a company that actually updated and supported it's software properly (i.e not Akai) and I'd probably use it in preference over the laptop...

I have an op1. Its a fun piece. I also use a daw and a mpc. I still find the mpc's song mode the easiest way to arrange.

A thing of the past? hahahaha
Old 8th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree View Post
Yup. Before Akai put out the 2.xx OS, you really couldn't chop up samples on the machine, you could only chop off the beginning or the end, not slice it into multiple pieces.
Even with the 2.XX OS the chop shop had issues, thank God for the JJOS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search