The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sampling mp3's through Serato Scratch to the Mpc (9th Wonder)
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sampling mp3's through Serato Scratch to the Mpc (9th Wonder)

A few weeks ago I happened to check out 9th Wonder's "The Wonder Years" documentary, privately casted in Toronto, and in Canada for the first time. At some point it showed 9th working on a beat in his studio, and I noticed the digital timecoded vinyl plates and needles were used to input his sound into the mpc. It showed him play the track off his computer, and then proceeded to his Mpc. Are you guys familiar, if this could be the case? Anyone else use this technique? What are the benefits of doing this?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
A few weeks ago I happened to check out 9th Wonder's "The Wonder Years" documentary, privately casted in Toronto, and in Canada for the first time. At some point it showed 9th working on a beat in his studio, and I noticed the digital timecoded vinyl plates and needles were used to input his sound into the mpc. It showed him play the track off his computer, and then proceeded to his Mpc. Are you guys familiar, if this could be the case? Anyone else use this technique? What are the benefits of doing this?
It may be the "Serato is paying me to use their product in my documentary " technique! Or its just how he listens to mp3's from his computer. Maybe it gives him control over the sample reminiscent of vinyl but other than that it has absolutely zero effect on the sound. If he was going from his computer to a mixer to eq the sample b4 the mpc then that would be a technique, not a new one but a technique i guess. you achieve the same thing by just playing an mp3 from windows media player.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you watched him do this... then he did it.
The benefits are.. sound goes into your MPC and you can make music.

Sampling mp3's though..tutt
But then again its 9th and he does not care lol. The quality of his sound does suffer and his music often sounds muddy. But again.. he does not care.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else use this technique? What are the benefits of doing this?
I do not know anyone who does this. Their are no real benefits either. The only 2 benefits I can come up with is that it's a familiar way to do things from a hands on perspective and that it allows you to adjust the speed of the record before recording. Neither matter but that doesn't mean it's unimportant for the particular person who does it. I wouldn't put more value on it because 9th does it.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi

The main benefit to this technique that comes to my own mind is that you don't need to actually own or find a copy of what you are sampling! It goes against a sampling etiquette which some people adhere to. Secondly I wonder how sampling a lossy format would affect the sound. I can only imagine it would be detrimental, and to what extent would be determined by the quality of the rip and amount of post-sampling changes you make to the sound (eg. particularly tuning the sample down).

I'm not real familiar with 9th's music; it sounds like Jrides is more informed than me, but loosely based on what I understood surrounding his music circa Brother Ali and Buckshot collabs, I would be surprised if he was sampling mp3s.

Sampling mp3s can be an interesting topic in my preferred circles and I’ve come across a few conversations in which I’ve been told a lossy format was used in this or that song. But never from the horse’s mouth. I’d say I haven't yet got the ear to determine if lossy formats have been sampled in beats. Maybe it would be a worthwhile experiment just to understand how it can sound! (On the other hand I probably couldn't be bothered spending the time on it.)

I also wonder if Beyondat is right, too!

So I'm not sure if 'benefit' and 'technique' are the words best used in this case. In my opinion it comes down to personal preference/values.
Old 19th September 2011
wreckingstuff
Did he actually say he was using mp3? Serato works with various formats, wav etc.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I can tell y'all why I and the people i know sample from Serato...because um...it's hooked up to my samplers already???

It's not a "technique" it's "I don't want to unplug all my **** then crawl under all my **** and run another cable then route another pair of outputs internally and not get feedback then worry about gainstaging then do all the same **** again in reverse to get back to my normal setup."

It also makes it easier if you know what you're sampling to type Into the browser and hook it up then go through hundreds of thousands of records, find the best copy out of probably several and start messing with it.

For records that I might use a lot, like battle or break records, it's easier because then my break records aren't completely trashed from using it 3000000x.

I think this is yet another case of Gearslutz looking for some magical bullet or technique and not looking at it from a logical standpoint.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Are you so sure that 9th Wonder isn't the type of artist who doesn't work with mp3? That guy worked with FL Studio when nobody did it or was the first to admit it.

[QUOTE]It also makes it easier if you know what you're sampling to type Into the browser and hook it up then go through hundreds of thousands of records, find the best copy out of probably several and start messing with it./QUOTE]Fact.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Even if it is quicker to use Serato than pulling out records, I doubt it's much quicker if at all than finding your digitized/digital media on your computer if you archived it logicially. I am not saying there is any downside to using Serato if you already own it, I just don't see the point to buying it solely for this purpose.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4dy...e_gdata_player

nothing magic dude, quit being a techy and dumb it down. Make music. If it sounds dope than it is. **** rappers are going platinum off 2 track instrumentals and your favorite retailers are...... Cue clown music selling us MP3! CAN I hear a diff..... Yeah but not enough to commit audiocide (c)

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

My question was aimed more towards if Serato has any "vinyl imitation" filteration pre-sets or analogue sound mimicking? I have never used Serato myself, and I'm not familiar with it...Does it have any warmers, eq or compression pre-sets to filter your audio through? I thought that maybe 9th uses it for that reason.

As for 9th sampling mp3's, that's a no brainer. The guy himself admitted it on his documentary saying that "He won his grammy off a downloaded version of Fruity Loops" Eventually he progressed into sampling vinyl.

What about FLAC, anybody mess around with that audio file format for sampling?

peace
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
My question was aimed more towards if Serato has any "vinyl imitation" filteration pre-sets or analogue sound mimicking? I have never used Serato myself, and I'm not familiar with it...Does it have any warmers, eq or compression pre-sets to filter your audio through? I thought that maybe 9th uses it for that reason.

As for 9th sampling mp3's, that's a no brainer. The guy himself admitted it on his documentary saying that "He won his grammy off a downloaded version of Fruity Loops" Eventually he progressed into sampling vinyl.

What about FLAC, anybody mess around with that audio file format for sampling?

peace
None of the above...and I'm sure he was probably sampling vinyl too, just 'cause the software is bootleg doesn't mean the source was...i've never sampled Flac...but I never had a reason to.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 View Post
None of the above...and I think he was sampling vinyl for a while, just 'cause the software is bootleg doesn't mean the source was...never sampled Flac...but I never had a reason to.
When someone starts off producing music in a small little apartment, with a Dell computer and a cracked version of Fruity Loops and Cool Edit, it's de-facto that he obviously used digital sounds. There's enough information to be sure about that. I don't care what he used, his stuff's still dope!
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Nut

serato has no vinyl "warmness" feature or any type of saturation FYI

probably just using it for convenience.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search