The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RBass, what are your tricks? 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 5th February 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

As stated the In/Out peaks create a completely different sound. In fact clipping the out every so slightly --peaking just above 0. Does something interesting. Intensity is not required at all at lower frequencies.

Try R-bass in parallel. 35htz fundamental on one...the other up in the 70cycles.region. You can have a serious sub/low end source from that. Blend to taste. If to much just lower the volume on the track.
Old 22nd April 2012
Here for the gear

What I do sometimes is add RBass to a track (maybe even exaggerate it a bit), then use low shelf or hpf. That way you still get harmonics, but without audibly excessive low end.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Nut

So much good info in this thread. Usually people will just say "use rbass" when addressing how to make their basslines fatter. If you don't know what you're doing and you just slap on RBass and crank it, you're gonna have a ****ty mix.

I agree with this the most:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I for one only use RBass in situations where there is a sub bass sound that will break the vibe of the track if it's not heard on smaller sound systems. EQing won't do what is needed to save your ass in those type of situations.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Yea, thats about the only "trick" I can think of for it. Otherwise its pretty straightforward, common sense plugin.

I find I use MaxxBass when i want a more midrangey bass tone, and RBass when I want a lower bass tone.

I think this is the exact way that I approach it.

I'd say I'm listening at moderate levels for about 85% of the mix but when I need to crank it up to hear it in, what I call, "Bloom". I sometimes find that the bass maybe needs a little bit more bottom and the fastest, easiest, most reliable way to achieve that effect is with RBass.

To find the "Sweet Spot" I also turn the speakers up loud then I start dialing in the RBass, once I feel the air from the speakers I know its right. Also keep in mind, my room is treated well.

Good Luck
Old 14th January 2019
Here for the gear

honestly, I usually only use Rbass for mastering. If I were using it in the mix process I would have a kick / bass bus and use rbass as a send on it. I find it works best to help the bass and kick blend together better. But ur eq has to be on point for both the kick and bass individually before you do this.
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Nut

If you're using Rbass on a 808 from a sample pack (which I know many producers do this nowadays), then just know that many modern sample packs already have a TON of processing that's been done on them already. Some packs have dry starting point 808's but most of the time they're selling packs with heavily distorted 808's. If this is the case, then adding the RBass could definitely be "too much". It really all just depends on the sample your using. I tend to prefer to use clean/dry 808's without any processing so that I can add my own flavor later on. But like I said, most of the time if you're using a sample pack there's really not going to be much you would want to do to it unless your EQ'ing if needed to fit the track.
Old 28th January 2019
I've used it with automation on intensity an freq to do some sound design "low whooshes" gives a cool effect....
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

I actually have a super-secret weapon trick with Rbass that I've used for years. I'm sure other people have done similar things, though.

On your kick drum's individual channel in your mixer, set up a send fx to another channel.

On the duplicate channel, run Rbass set to 32 Hz, and adjust it so it isn't clipping, and adjust the amount to taste.

You then need to add a resonant low-pass filter after the Rbass; something like Cytomic's The Drop is perfect. engage the low-pass filter and set it super low, with extreme resonance. You need to also engage the input pads to attenuate the input coming from Rbass for the filter to react properly. You need to experiment a little bit to find the best possible frequency and resonance, and of course, The Drop has several filter models that react differently, so it's worth trying several of them to see what works best.

The end result is something like an 808 sub boom. You can control the length of the boom by adjusting the resonance, and the specific frequency of it via the low-pass filter's cutoff setting. You also can experiment with the Rbass settings; trying different frequencies or the amount of the effect to see how it interacts with your lowpass filter.

So that's basically it! You're simply bussing your original kick drum to a duplicate channel and then exaggerating and sculpting the inherent frequencies of it to create a massive sub bass. Try it! Let me know how it works for you!

Peace.
Old 30th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
I actually have a super-secret weapon trick with Rbass that I've used for years. I'm sure other people have done similar things, though.

On your kick drum's individual channel in your mixer, set up a send fx to another channel.

On the duplicate channel, run Rbass set to 32 Hz, and adjust it so it isn't clipping, and adjust the amount to taste.

You then need to add a resonant low-pass filter after the Rbass; something like Cytomic's The Drop is perfect. engage the low-pass filter and set it super low, with extreme resonance. You need to also engage the input pads to attenuate the input coming from Rbass for the filter to react properly. You need to experiment a little bit to find the best possible frequency and resonance, and of course, The Drop has several filter models that react differently, so it's worth trying several of them to see what works best.

The end result is something like an 808 sub boom. You can control the length of the boom by adjusting the resonance, and the specific frequency of it via the low-pass filter's cutoff setting. You also can experiment with the Rbass settings; trying different frequencies or the amount of the effect to see how it interacts with your lowpass filter.

So that's basically it! You're simply bussing your original kick drum to a duplicate channel and then exaggerating and sculpting the inherent frequencies of it to create a massive sub bass. Try it! Let me know how it works for you!

Peace.
Thats pretty interesting. Gonna give it a try with the LTL Chop Shop plugin. I mostly use it to gain some harmonics. I'll either set the frequency to the root note or an octave above and take out that frequency, disengage that button on the left hand side(can't remember what it's called atm). This is on a parallel track of course. Sometimes I will add another parallel and use another rbass an octave above the 1st parallel track. To accentuate the low end, I usually use vog and or a pultec, hardware or plugin. I almost always mult my kicks into 2 frequency ranges and a parallel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search