The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I got $500 to spend on sounds! Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I got $500 to spend on sounds!

I need DOPE drums. Big fan of 909s and 808s. Need realistic sounding drums.
I need more SYNTHS. Love synths, big fan of hypersonic 2 XPAND2 and the motif rack xs.
I use pro tools.
I love Drake sounds
And have $500.
I was going to get omnisphere but i am hearing too many complaints that it is too powerful to be "mixed" with other vsts, to its more "movie" based than music based.
Any suggestions>
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Battery 3 and all of Goldbaby's kits, especially the tape 808's.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
buy a gold-plated dub siren.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Komplete 8 + Gold Baby Super Analog 808, will run you $530 for both
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybeatsrdope View Post
Komplete 8 + Gold Baby Super Analog 808, will run you $530 for both
good idea.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

You're going to spend $500 on drums?!?!?

That's crazy talk right there.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

The only decision you need to make is to purchase Omnisphere. Game ovarr!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nexus 2 = TONS of "Drake" pads!!!!
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondA View Post
Nexus 2 = TONS of "Drake" pads!!!!
if you're going to cop the Nexus 2..i would look into seeing if they can do a customized bundle so you can pick the expansion packs you want. I know people have done that in the past with reFX.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

omnisphere is worth the investment. maybe when it was called "atmosphere" it was geared towards film sound design, but even then it was powerful. You will not be dissapointed in it, especially if you are going for "drake sounds"
Old 18th September 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

Wave Alchemy

Xfer Nerve

SoundsOutsideTheLines Transistor bundle for kontakt.

Just like a real 808 and 909^
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm liking Rob papen stuff more and more.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
You're going to spend $500 on drums?!?!?

That's crazy talk right there.
Unless.... you are not broke, and have it to spend.
So far I have never "purchsed" drums from anywhere, or used a sample pack. It happens all the time though. As I am presented with more opportunites to do instrumentals for various outlets, I have decided that I will probably start buying drum software. There are some scenarios where I think a chopped break may not work best for a given style of music.

I may be wrong though. So far I have been able to get away with incorporating breaks into all my music. As I expand, musically and oportunity wise, I dont think its impossible that I may need to buy one of the Studio Drummer type kit mimic thingys.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Reason gives u lots of good both and then some
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't need 500$ lol
check those three free/donationware sample kits:

clap pack | loops de la crème

kick pack | loops de la crème

world sounds vol.1 | loops de la crème
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS View Post
if you're going to cop the Nexus 2..i would look into seeing if they can do a customized bundle so you can pick the expansion packs you want. I know people have done that in the past with reFX.

Which nexus expansions are the absolute best and which ones should i avoid at all costs?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

bumppp
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey if you buy the Battery 3 can you use it in Logic via AU or do you have to program the drums in the Battery software then export it as audio file into Logic?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
Hey if you buy the Battery 3 can you use it in Logic via AU or do you have to program the drums in the Battery software then export it as audio file into Logic?
You can use battery as an au plugin.

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com App
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Nut

What happened to making your own samples? A drum hit off a record and then altered in your DAW will always win. Record a sound with a mic. Use a cheap bleepbox synth (I have a handmade one that makes amazing kicks and claps).
Sample packs just seem like a lazy cheat.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Co-sign to Komplete 8
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael PCB View Post
What happened to making your own samples? A drum hit off a record and then altered in your DAW will always win. Record a sound with a mic. Use a cheap bleepbox synth (I have a handmade one that makes amazing kicks and claps).
Don't you find that doing your own samples takes so much time, just to get a few basic raw materials for a tune that in and of itself will take lots of time and dedication to ultimately get to sound how you want it? I could see it eating up so much time and energy that could be saved by letting a professional sound designer do the heavy lifting, but I'm new to sampling so I'm just curious.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Nord Lead 1.

Broken record.....................
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringBean View Post
Don't you find that doing your own samples takes so much time, just to get a few basic raw materials for a tune that in and of itself will take lots of time and dedication to ultimately get to sound how you want it? I could see it eating up so much time and energy that could be saved by letting a professional sound designer do the heavy lifting, but I'm new to sampling so I'm just curious.
that's the fun though, and over time it doesn't take long at all, you develop something called skill.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael PCB View Post
Why not do both? You can't create every sound known to man but if u have a specific sound in your head and its faster to make it just make it. There are no extra credit points for not using presets.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArk View Post
And have $500.
I was going to get omnisphere but i am hearing too many complaints that it is too powerful to be "mixed" with other vsts, to its more "movie" based than music based.
Lmfao, what ****ty wannabe engineer told you that? Does he know what a volume knob is?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTION View Post
Lmfao, what ****ty wannabe engineer told you that? Does he know what a volume knob is?
It is just the comments i be seeing on Omnisphere demos on youtube! lol i cant judge it since i never tried it lol
omnisphere vs nexus 2?
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
i am hearing too many complaints that it is too powerful to be "mixed" with other vsts, to its more "movie" based than music based.
In all seriousness, I never considered buying it, till I heard you say this. Even if it's not true, I need to buy omnisphere now...
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondtana View Post
In all seriousness, I never considered buying it, till I heard you say this. Even if it's not true, I need to buy omnisphere now...
The vst is good since i see all major studios own the vst, but is it right for me? Someone post sounds or something! Lol
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArk

The vst is good since i see all major studios own the vst, but is it right for me? Someone post sounds or something! Lol
It isn't "right" for drums straight off the bat, unless you love synthesising drum sounds. I'd get Komplete 8, just for the shear wealth of possibilities with Battery and Reaktor.
If you already have Komplete (6/7/8), get Stylus RMX. Comes with great sounds, although you'll need to get Recycle (maybe you have that?) to make full use of it.

Whoever said Omnisphere is too hard to mix with other synths either doesn't know how to mix, or how to use Omnisphere, maybe both. It's sounds are quite dominating.
That's fixable.
Volume? EQ? Panning? Actual synthesis instead of preset-whoring?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search