The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does anyone recommend doing online mixing classes? DAW Software
Old 17th September 2011
Does anyone recommend doing online mixing classes?

Just trying to see if it is even worth shelling out the cash for this,a class like the one offered at berklee online mixing with pro tools.I just wanna learn basic mixing to get my tracks to sound more professional.As of right now i can't mix worth a dam lol !!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

i would take a class at a local community college
faster better cheaper easier yada yada
more hands on
with better gear
faster feedback
other students to discuss things with
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think YouTube for free is a much better option.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've heard good things about pointblank online. Expensive, but probably no more than Berklee.
I was going to do that but I decided to sign up with gearslutz, macprovideo, and just absorb as much info as possible without resorting to a $1000+ class.
Old 17th September 2011
Here for the gear

youtube and groove 3
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wanna make sure I clear up my post as I know it was short and unfortunatly folks are sometimes mistaking that for trolling...

On YouTube I have been taught by: boonie mayfeild, mike chav, just blaze, and of course Dave pensado to name a few.... For free!!!! Good luck finding that at any price otherwise. You get out what you put into college. Likewise you'll fair the same with your online courses... That being the case, why not try your luck for free first? The worst that happens is that you decide you still want to take the pay courses, only you'll be even more prepared.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaP View Post
Just trying to see if it is even worth shelling out the cash for this,a class like the one offered at berklee online mixing with pro tools.I just wanna learn basic mixing to get my tracks to sound more professional.As of right now i can't mix worth a dam lol !!
Pay an experienced engineer at a local "real studio". It will be a lot cheaper and you will gain more valuable hands on experience.
Old 18th September 2011
Thanks for all of your input,i really appreciate it.Imma see what good info i can find for free first.Have a great day or night everyone !!!
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

I can't knock any school that I haven't attended, but.....

There are cheaper ways to learn everything that the online program would probably teach you.

1) 1 month all access pass at Groove 3 is only $35 and they have a bunch of high quality Pro tools tutorials.

Pro Tools Training Videos and Tutorials

2) Another resource would be books such as The Mixing Engineer's Handbook, Confessions of a Record Producer, etc. which would run you $10-$20 each.

3) GearSlutz Search Function ------> FREE! If you are lacking knowledge in a certain area (EQ) type it in the search box and soak up all the info from GS Members.

Gearslutz.com - Search Forums

4) YouTube --------> FREE

Watch every episode of Pensado's Place.

5) Community College, there is probably one in your area that has a Music Technology (or similar) program. Classes shouldn't run you more than $100 and you will be able to pick your Professor's brain and get hands-on training.

6) Google

7) Blogs

8) Consultations: There are several Producers/Engineers/A&R's/etc. who offer low cost consultations.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post
Pay an experienced engineer at a local "real studio". It will be a lot cheaper and you will gain more valuable hands on experience.
I've never taken an online course, so I don't know how much they cost or how good they are. But this would be my first recommendation. Everything I know has been learned from other engineers. Work with a couple different guys, watch closely, ask questions.

Other than that, there are plenty of free resources out there in YouTube and forums that I would explore before I took an online course for $.
Old 7th November 2016
DAH
Lives for gear

No sense in online lessons until your monitoring is halfway decent. But then you will know what is good by yourself.
Old 8th November 2016
Gear Head

There are plenty of great sources online. Online mixing classes are only as good as the engineer teaching them...

Just 'Follow the Leader'

The best hip hop engineers have tips everywhere. My personal opinion is that Derek Ali "Mixed by Ali", Jaycen Joshua, Leslie Brathwaite, Lu Diaz etc. are all on Dave Pensado's Youtube channel on hour long interviews telling you the EXACT techniques they use. Also, 'SoundonSound' have something called "Inside Track" and "Secrets of the mix engineer" where these engineers tell you EXACTLY what they did on well known hit records.

These are links which helped me most personally:
Derek Ali:
Inside Track: Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly | Sound On Sound

http://hiphopmixing.entelleckt.com/a...sty-thursdays/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yger5z0Q-pc

Jaycen Joshua:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtj7He1KdKM

Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Jaycen Joshua | Sound On Sound

Lu Diaz :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--lV1K4fEiM
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search