The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crisp sound with GAP-73 & SM7B? Condenser Microphones
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Crisp sound with GAP-73 & SM7B?

I'm using my SM7B and GAP-73 for hip hop vocals and wanted to know any suggestions on getting a nice crisp sound. Maybe it's just my voice, or my mixing skills, but I'm trying to get a nice sound, something along the lines of this: Mac Miller - Knock Knock - YouTube

I'm trying to get as close as I can to that sound of clarity. I've been messing with the gain and trying to mix it.

Here's a verse I recorded today, I didn't really put alot of time into it:

KeepYaHeadUp mixdown by gackii on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I'm using Adobe Audition 3.0 and I have Izotope Ozone 4 for mixing and mastering.

If anyone can give me any pointers or tips for clarity and crisp sounding vocals, please let me know.

P.S. - Someone told me that recording over an .mp3 beat/instrumental is really bad and the quality is always garbage. Don't think he's right, but please let me know, just something I wanted to know.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

First off, just comparing clips with no comment on gear, you have a different voice and flow. I don't want to come off rude but if that is your average sound in your flow, you probably want to work on that more than equipment.

I don't know your environment but my SM58 sounds more crisp than your SM7b through my GAP. I don't know if it's mic placement or your room but I would think your SM7b would sound quite a bit better than an SM58. On both my SM58 (which i only use for recording freestyles) and my Rode NT1a, I find I get the best results using a low amount of gain and turning the output up. I actually don't like the color on this preamp in large amounts. When you use it with low gain, it is clean with a small amount of character and a super subtle graininess I enjoy. Hope that helps.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for responding! But no offense taken, I know I'm not good and like I said, I just recorded that verse real quick. No excuses though, I really do need to work on my flow and sound, but any suggestions for that? Just keep rapping the same lyrics till it sounds right?

And my gain has been set pretty high, so I'll try toning it down and see how that works.

I appreciate the response!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search