The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sell ASR-10 for Triton LE? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sell ASR-10 for Triton LE?

I know this kind of threads get boring (me, myself, I love them actually!).
Guys would it be good replacement? ASR-10 for Korg Triton LE? I need YOUR opinions. That's what forum is all about!

I already got S900 to spice up my drums, MPC 1000 for the feel, Ableton Live for chopping etc., take samples from vinyl...

and I'm not sure...How is Triton LE considered in 2011 (yes, I made similar thread about ASR-10 a while ago)...is its workflow better than ASR's nowadays?
I'm talking about the sound mainly, FX and things like BOOT time, is it user friendly. Only Triton and only LE talk here please.
Oh, how's the keyboard itself?

Thanks Guys!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I know you said LE only. I used a Triton Rack that I believe has the same sounds as the LE for a class at school. I was extremely unimpressed with the sounds compared to other hardware. That said, many people think it's great for making your own sounds and one of the better synths for that. I friend I know used a Triton LE and he moved on because of the sounds alone.

Do you have SCSI on the ASR 10? Most people use it to sample but it can be a great synth as well. Since it's a great sampler as well, you can continue to upgrade your sounds instead of being stuck with a factory bank. I wouldn't recommend many EPS/ASR libraries but I know people sell premade banks for the ASR 10, often from other popular synths. You may find it to be quite expandable over time.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sell ASR-10 for Triton LE?

Nope. You'd get rid of a classic, for a compromised version of a very vanilla keyboard. Similar: would you sell a mpc60 for a mpc500? That's about my best comparison in terms of quality. I own a classic triton61. It was cool, but is just a midi controller now. There are good sounds- strings and organs are rad. But those are better and upgradable in kontakt. So, again, no, I would not.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

that would be rather bad trade in my opinion.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not good trade on the surface, but I understand wanting/needing some sort of synth/rompler if all you have is samplers. So, in that sense it might be a good trade because its better to have something that you need and will get use out of, rather than something you never use and already have other things similar to (s900/MPC).

But I would agree with the others in that the Triton Le is nothing spectactular. It will give you a lot of bread/butter sounds though if that's what you need.

If I were you though, I'd consider keeping the ASR and using it for what it was originally made for, and that's multi-samples. You may already do that, but if not look online for samples of vintage keyboards/synths, most of that stuff is free. You can get samples from real Juno's, Mellotron's, Rhodes, Moog etc, where ppl just record 1 or 2 long notes from patches on there synth and post them for free for others to use in their samplers. You can build a whole library of classic sounds.

imo, playing them back through the great sounding ASR, the end result will sound better than a Triton. So instead of using the asr for chopping samples from records, fill up all the memory with multi-samples and turn it into a custom rompler. Then use your s900/mpc for sampling long phrases/loops from records. As you probably know, you can also sample one-shots from records, set the loop points to loop in the middle, so they play continuous, and use those for patches in the ASR too. I'd keep the asr

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search