The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Freshest drum kit packages ??? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 15th September 2011
  #1
Gear Addict
 

Freshest drum kit packages ???

What are the most recent/dopest drum kit bundles that you personally like and why? Also when it comes to vintage, hard-like, raw, boom-bap, golden-era drum kits? Who's got the best bundle nowadays???
Old 15th September 2011
  #2
Gear Head
 

freshestdrumkitpackages.com has a pretty nice selection
Old 15th September 2011
  #3
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgutta23 View Post
freshestdrumkitpackages.com has a pretty nice selection
Seems like un-necessary sarcasm mostly exists in the Hip Hop room? Why is this??? What happened to good old fellowship and genuinity? Just because I asked a common question, doesn't mean this thread has to turn into a circus. Anyhow, as yall wish.....
Old 15th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Freshest drum kit packages ???

Fair question to be sure.

My favorites are: sonic specialists, sounds in HD, goldbaby... In that order, but I highly recommend all three companies.

From them I would ensure you have: urban fire4, acoustic blends, and tape808 respectivly. Why? Because they each contain fundamental building blocks for enhancing all future drum sample packs. Check em out for sure!
Old 15th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
PhonoquO's Avatar
 

If you want old boom bap style drums check out croup's set called deadly drums

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 15th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
funkycam's Avatar
 

goldbaby's tape drum machines, 1, 2 & 3 .
Old 15th September 2011
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
Seems like un-necessary sarcasm mostly exists in the Hip Hop room? Why is this??? What happened to good old fellowship and genuinity? Just because I asked a common question, doesn't mean this thread has to turn into a circus. Anyhow, as yall wish.....
I think he just has a sense of humor and didnt mean any harm..I laughed when i saw it.
Old 15th September 2011
  #8
Gear Head
 

sample your own drums from vinyl. It is a pain in the ass but well worth it.
Old 15th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

I used to sample my own drums. I still do but not so much. Coming from that mindset, I really like a series of drum kits called "Deadly Drums". I don't know how processed they are but they are perfect for me. They don't sound excellent right out the box, you need to manipulate them to sound great. Perfect for me as I don't just want a "mastered" drum kit where I cannot put my own touch on it.


Gold Baby makes great kits but they just don't work for me. They are good for the person who just wants a good sounding drum and not process it much. I have trouble when I start to layer, eq, etc. If you are they type to use one snare, one kick, and you just want it to sound good with little to no work, I highly recommend them.

My only issue with Gold Baby I had is that I bought a Reason specific kit. Normally when you buy a kit or soundbank for Reason, the raw samples are included. They were not. They will sell you any kit you buy twice for 1/2 off but it just kind of bugged me. I know it was my assumption but I consider that to be standard. If you use multiple programs, buy the standard, non specific program banks.
Old 15th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Danny Downer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonoquO View Post
If you want old boom bap style drums check out croup's set called deadly drums

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
BEST kit for boom bap also filthy drums! It's the ****!

Bangin beats has some nice stuff too!!!
Old 15th September 2011
  #11
Gear Nut
 
BCFoolin's Avatar
 

I sample my own drums from vinyl (mostly) and layer them with deadly drums or factory drums that come in Maschine or Logic. I like taking very clean drums and fusing them with the grit of vinyl. Gives you punch and character
Old 16th September 2011
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Downer View Post
BEST kit for boom bap also filthy drums! It's the ****!

Bangin beats has some nice stuff too!!!

true @ bangin beats
Old 16th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Freshest drum kit packages ???

@ talontsiawd

How funny you say that about the goldbaby stuff... I feel the exact opposite: I don't think they are good unless you layer and process them! Funny huh? Different strokes I guess..

Me: I like scrolling through the saturated kicks on the tape 808 in order to find a second layer. I find them to be a little long in the release, so I give them their own choke group and tune them to fit the top layer kick. This let's me focus on attack and texture on the top layer, and the boom comes from the goldbaby.
Old 16th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
@ talontsiawd

How funny you say that about the goldbaby stuff... I feel the exact opposite: I don't think they are good unless you layer and process them! Funny huh? Different strokes I guess..

Me: I like scrolling through the saturated kicks on the tape 808 in order to find a second layer. I find them to be a little long in the release, so I give them their own choke group and tune them to fit the top layer kick. This let's me focus on attack and texture on the top layer, and the boom comes from the goldbaby.
I bet if I went through and filtered out what I wanted they would work better for me. I have the same issue with release on some of their hats, they go for days so I always have to shorten them. I used to go through all my kits, all my vinyl drums, etc, take the good and make my own kit. Deadly Drums just do it for me and I have been loving them for years.

It's not that I don't like Gold Baby, I do. I have had good results. Just not layering. Using a choice snare, kick, whatever sounds really nice with just some eq. I personally can't get the sound I want from them as well as Deadly Drums which just work for me so well.
Old 16th September 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
jbrown1music's Avatar
Mpc-samples.com has a bunch to get u started. Im not really into producer kits cause there usually not the actuals producers kits but i must say the ones on that site are pretty usuable. Also try karate kicks on there and soul snaps and claps
Old 16th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

I've been using multi sampled drum libraries more so recently. With the right effects they sound good. Specifically Reason Drum Kits and Reason Disco School. Reason Soul School works too but imo Disco School works better
Old 16th September 2011
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Freshest drum kit packages ???

1) sounds like I need to try some deadly drums

2) I'm surprised there isn't more love for sonic specialists... Too expensive? My whole game stepped when I bought uf4. I really endorse the fact that they give you good sounds AND those great building blocks (kick enhancers, support tails, etc..). What gives y'all? Plus Sirroco is a frequent contributer here...
Old 16th September 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
KevWest's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I used to sample my own drums. I still do but not so much. Coming from that mindset, I really like a series of drum kits called "Deadly Drums". I don't know how processed they are but they are perfect for me. They don't sound excellent right out the box, you need to manipulate them to sound great. Perfect for me as I don't just want a "mastered" drum kit where I cannot put my own touch on it.


Gold Baby makes great kits but they just don't work for me. They are good for the person who just wants a good sounding drum and not process it much. I have trouble when I start to layer, eq, etc. If you are they type to use one snare, one kick, and you just want it to sound good with little to no work, I highly recommend them.

My only issue with Gold Baby I had is that I bought a Reason specific kit. Normally when you buy a kit or soundbank for Reason, the raw samples are included. They were not. They will sell you any kit you buy twice for 1/2 off but it just kind of bugged me. I know it was my assumption but I consider that to be standard. If you use multiple programs, buy the standard, non specific program banks.
I had that beef at one time now it seems he offers all formats and you only buy once. I had to redownload something I bought from him recently in wav format he sent me the refill format link. I just asked
Old 16th September 2011
  #19
Here for the gear
 

goldbaby has a bunch of free samples you can try...a whole page worth...his products that cost money arent too expensive either and they really sound good...i have the super analog 808 and the mpc 60 ii kits...great samples.
Old 17th September 2011
  #20
Gear Head
 

What are you guys using to tune/pitch your sample?
Old 17th September 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
PhonoquO's Avatar
 

Search for "refill unpacker". That should give you access to the raw files

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th September 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Freshest drum kit packages ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsawsoul
What are you guys using to tune/pitch your sample?
Whichever drum vst I'm using at that time: idrum, battery, or maschine. Almost never after it leaves the instrument. For whatever reason I tend to tune more often on maschine- maybe just cuz it's more fun to use the tactile controls with my eyes closed.
Old 18th September 2011
  #23
Gear Addict
 

Out of the following recent .wav Drum Kit Packages. Which ones do you guys think out-stands the most ?

Illmind Blap Kit, M-Phazes or Bonnie Mayfield's???

From the previews that I've heard for all these, they all have similarities and they seem to carry that east coast sound...but just wondering what yall think...for those who have maybe purchased them already???
Old 18th September 2011
  #24
wreckingstuff
Guest
Mate there are gigs and gigs of free drum hits right here on GS HH forum, and also on the interwebs, on discs attached to magazines, on a usb stick from your mans etc. etc.

Have a search for Pete Marriot's 'drumdays' threads.
Old 19th September 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Boogaju's Avatar
 

I uploaded three free/donationware sample kits on a new loops website.
Good for layering and creating fresh, original beats. Thanks for checking them out:

clap pack | loops de la crème
kick pack | loops de la crème
world sounds vol.1 | loops de la crème
Old 20th September 2011
  #26
Gear Nut
 

My Picks...

1. Illmind Blap Kit Vol. 1 - Dope sounds here! This kit is worth every dime.
2. M-Phazes Dirty 30 Vol 1 & 2. Again, awesome kit.
3. Bangin Beats (banginbeats.com) Kits are pretty awesome
4. Sample your own

Almost all my joints utilize these kits plus my custom drum kits. I have tons of other kits, but these are worth paying for (don't pirate).

I'm more into making my own drums now, but when I was getting started I used alot of factory/kit sounds. The above kits are good to build off of, stack, filter layer...

Drum sounds is really about tweaking to taste, genre, etc. IMO.

I actually just bought an SP-1200 to run my drums through. I design most of my stuff in Reason 5/6 using Kong, then run through pre-amp, SP-1200, then re-sample. It might be overkill for most stuff, but Its fun and the sound is killer for BOOM BAP.

My 2 Cents

@alkota
www.alkotabeats.com
Old 20th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 

^dude, I saw you on futureproducers pushing that illmind kit and also selling it on your website, then come here acting like a consumer who bought it and liked it, lol.

I will say illmind has dope drums though in his beats. I havent heard the kit, but if its the same drums he uses in his beats it must be dope.
Old 20th September 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
most of these drum kits are pretty generic ultimate fire seemed like the nads but i went thur the drums and realised most of these kits are mostly hype.

some free rare drum breaks u can download will give u better drums specially with regard to snares.

however some of the kicksandsnares stuff is ok u can get a few good kick drums out of them.

but i would not waste too much cash on drum packs

goldaby has a nice site and all the right a equipment but somewhow the sounds dont live up to the hype that u get when dude tells u he sampled drums off vinyl into an mpc60 or sp120 then recorded to tape, u think its gonna be the golden grail but i was not overly impressed with the sounds.
Old 21st September 2011
  #29
Gear Addict
 

Generally, people (even though they charge you for it) don't want to give up good drm sounds, maybe because they are so crucial to a good track.

There was one guy, ideclaremusic.com, who was an amazing producer with awesome audio demos, but when you buy them, the same drms sound like he converted everything to low bit mp3s, I kid u not.

True, Golbaby means well, but honestly the stuff I bought doesn't have the solid, crispy sound I need for hip hop.

Sounds from HD have pretty good demos, but when I bought the sounds I felt like I was cheated- Not even trying to sound good...
I haven't tried Scirocco's stuff.


Try the free packs from traumah, the free Boi1 da pack

Last edited by PapaSon; 21st September 2011 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: I'm in a good mood
Old 21st September 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 
F Major's Avatar
 

I think theres a lot of good drums out there like Croup's Deadly/Filthy Drums, Illmind's, M Phazes, etc but its also about using them in the right context musically. If you don't blend the one shots correctly, or use them in patterns that don't work well, it just sounds like crap regardless.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump