The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Acid pro users (beatmakers) DAW Software
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Acid pro users (beatmakers)

I was just wondering how many of y'all use Acid Pro to make beats? I've been using it for nearly 10 years now, on and off...and I think it's a very simplistic and useful DAW especially for chopping, re-arranging and manipulating samples. The only problem is that I don't find it's sound quality to be great. It seems like my final mixes/renders many times turn out being muddy, muffled and low-fi compared to when playing back my beats real time on the DAW itself. Also I have compared beats that I've made on Acid Pro to others that I have made on FL Studio, and the FL ones sound much more prestine, crisp, clean and professional....Why is that?

What can I do, in order to improve my rendered audio sessions on Acid Pro, is there a plug-in I can add to my master volume/controller that might enhance my final result? What about syncing or importing Acid Pro as a slave into Pro Tools? and then rendering my work through there? Or maybe recording it in Pro Tools and then extracting it? Is this possible? Any general input, recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
I was just wondering how many of y'all use Acid Pro to make beats? I've been using it for nearly 10 years now, on and off...and I think it's a very simplistic and useful DAW especially for chopping, re-arranging and manipulating samples. The only problem is that I don't find it's sound quality to be great. It seems like my final mixes/renders many times turn out being muddy, muffled and low-fi compared to when playing back my beats real time on the DAW itself. Also I have compared beats that I've made on Acid Pro to others that I have made on FL Studio, and the FL ones sound much more prestine, crisp, clean and professional....Why is that?

What can I do, in order to improve my rendered audio sessions on Acid Pro, is there a plug-in I can add to my master volume/controller that might enhance my final result? What about syncing or importing Acid Pro as a slave into Pro Tools? and then rendering my work through there? Or maybe recording it in Pro Tools and then extracting it? Is this possible? Any general input, recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I used to use acid also. I now use protools and dont see any use for acid anymore. What is it that you are doing in acid that you think you cant do in protools? I am asking becasue you will probably get better quality from protools. Since protools has its own processors...but that may depend on which version pf protools you have mbox series , or digi oo2/3
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I know 2 people who do amazing work in ACID PRO. Both lack in sound quality though.

If I was going to work in ACID, I would do whatever I needed in there, then bounce the files, mix in PT. That's not to say you can't do everything in ACID, I just think the way it is setup makes it hard to mix. I personally don't recommend Rewiring, only because it makes bouncing your file session harder with very little benefit compared to just bouncing each file.

In the end, I think ACID PRO is perfectly capable of being used stand alone, but the lack of a mix window on top of the fact that the effects, buses, and sends are not logically placed visually for me, it can be challenging to remember what is going on as you mix.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Isn't Acid designed to be loop friendly. I know Pro Tools can handle loops, but can't handle them quite as easily or quickly as Acid (i.e. auto beat/pitch matching, looping etc).
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLahey View Post
Isn't Acid designed to be loop friendly. I know Pro Tools can handle loops, but can't handle them quite as easily or quickly as Acid (i.e. auto beat/pitch matching, looping etc).
Pro Tools handles pitch shifting/tempo matching very awkwardly IMO. It isn't necessarily "hard", it just takes a few steps and isn't logical.

ACID PRO has a much better system for loop based stuff but in general, it's just much easier to edit in (IMO). Loop based or not, it's quick, easy, and painless. PT has the ability to do everything ACID can, but I feel like I am "fighting" the program in PT. That's why if I used ACID, I would make my song in there and mix in PT, or possibly Record.
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Pro Tools handles pitch shifting/tempo matching very awkwardly IMO. It isn't necessarily "hard", it just takes a few steps and isn't logical.

ACID PRO has a much better system for loop based stuff but in general, it's just much easier to edit in (IMO). Loop based or not, it's quick, easy, and painless. PT has the ability to do everything ACID can, but I feel like I am "fighting" the program in PT. That's why if I used ACID, I would make my song in there and mix in PT, or possibly Record.
Yeah that was something i loved about acid but i felt i was limited to loops. I know these days acid is much more powerful. I remember just being able to drag, drop and pull and that was so much fun
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmiddlez View Post
Yeah that was something i loved about acid but i felt i was limited to loops. I know these days acid is much more powerful. I remember just being able to drag, drop and pull and that was so much fun
That's just it's strength, or was it's big strength when it came out. It really did loop based stuff well, and pitching well. I still have 3.0 for simple projects.

But, take everything off loop/beatmatched and you have a fully functional DAW as well. It's just not my DAW of choice for mixing. As said above, it's capable, it's just set up in a way where you can loose track of what you are doing.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Rewire to another DAW such as Samplitude unprocessed. Mix in new DAW. No plugs or level changes in Acid.

Try that and see what you think. Similar to tracking hardware.
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Addict

Acid Pro 7 included a mixing window with all channels and buses, it works fairly well, hence I don't find the problem to be with mixing but overall I think Acid Pro's sound engine is not that great!
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

+1 on creating in acid and bouncing each track seperately into protools.

sounds like the most logical explanation to me if you do your creating in acid and are comfortable mixing in protools.
Old 10th October 2011
Here for the gear

i've used acid pro to sequence my beats in the past but like the "punch" that i get when using FL studio. i still use acid to record vocals but probably wont anymore once i buy pro tools 9
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Maniac

I started using ACID Pro from the start with version 3 and upgraded from there. I got serious around 6.0 which is when ACID became more fully featured like any other DAW. I'm now on 7. Long story short, ACID is what I've used for my regular work, including lots of non-hip-hop projects, throughout my time producing tracks and I hope the sound quality hasn't been working against me this whole time. I wonder if there is a way to test this in an objective manner?
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear
I've been using Acid Pro since 3.0 and pretty much know it inside and out.

Here's a couple of projects I did completely in Acid:
The Long Goodbye | COOLOUT
COOLOUT vs STONES THROW | COOLOUT

There should be no difference between normal playback and the sound of your mixed down file.

I would check the project and render settings.

Make sure that you're rendering to the same bitrate or if you're going down from 24-bit to 16-bit (or MP3 for that matter) make sure that you have a proper limiter and dithering plug-in on the master bus.
Old 10th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
I've been using Acid Pro since 3.0 and pretty much know it inside and out.

Here's a couple of projects I did completely in Acid:
The Long Goodbye | COOLOUT
COOLOUT vs STONES THROW | COOLOUT

There should be no difference between normal playback and the sound of your mixed down file.

I would check the project and render settings.

Make sure that you're rendering to the same bitrate or if you're going down from 24-bit to 16-bit (or MP3 for that matter) make sure that you have a proper limiter and dithering plug-in on the master bus.

Your albums posted above sound great man! They definitively got quality sound to them....As for normal playback sounding the same with my renders this is not always the case for me, and I do everything you mentioned in your post other than using a limiter on my master bus...I have a feeling this might be one of the downfalls, Ima have to try it out. What's a good limiter or compressor to use on my master???
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Your albums posted above sound great man! They definitively got quality sound to them....As for normal playback sounding the same with my renders this is not always the case for me, and I do everything you mentioned in your post other than using a limiter on my master bus...I have a feeling this might be one of the downfalls, Ima have to try it out. What's a good limiter or compressor to use on my master???
Really depends on your budget. I've spent way too much $$$ on plug-ins.

You can just do a search on KVR, but here's some free ones I would check out:

Arguru Software - Stardust VST

ARADAZ VST FREE: Download

www.tinbrooketales.com

yohng.com
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

i've been using acid pro for 10+ years as well..

i really try to use the oneshot option as much as possible - sometimes looping things like single drum sounds has weird results and a degraded quality that i'm not crazy about.

also

i don't know if the same issue applies to other DAWs but somewhere between acid, certain plugins, the quality of sounds running through them and the rendering process - quite a bit of DC offset seems to get kicked up. and maybe that can effect your final render and also kill headroom.

i started doing a 20hz filter rolloff in soundforge to every sound or loop before i even start mixing. for the really stubborn sounds i also run soundforge's dc offset detect & remove plug. then in acid, when mixing, i occasionally run rolloff filters (in addition to the eq's) after plugins (waves metaflanger in particular) and at the end of some bus chains.
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

This beats are done in Acid Pro

djdziadzior's Channel - YouTube
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

i use acid 4 and cubase sx. i do my main drum programming in acid then bounce files and build the rest of the track in Cubase and Reason (rewire). once ive bounced my drums down to 16bit 44k and then import them into cubase they instantly sound punchier and crisper, its like night and day

you might wanna bounce your 2 track project out of Acid and just import it into a better DAW and print frome there.
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonrr View Post
i use acid 4 and cubase sx. i do my main drum programming in acid then bounce files and build the rest of the track in Cubase and Reason (rewire). once ive bounced my drums down to 16bit 44k and then import them into cubase they instantly sound punchier and crisper, its like night and day

you might wanna bounce your 2 track project out of Acid and just import it into a better DAW and print frome there.
Problem is I already have a good chunk of completed work/projects that are fully edited and tampered with in Acid (enveloping, volume, panning, filtering, vst's) which means that I wouldn't be able to bring all these other elements along into another DAW, kinda sucks!
Old 11th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Problem is I already have a good chunk of completed work/projects that are fully edited and tampered with in Acid (enveloping, volume, panning, filtering, vst's) which means that I wouldn't be able to bring all these other elements along into another DAW, kinda sucks!

Sorry I meant print your acid project as a stereo file with all your processing on it (plug ins, enveloping etc), then put that stereo file into another daw and then try printing it again, so your not adding anything in the 2nd DAW.

Then compare the results
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonrr View Post
Sorry I meant print your acid project as a stereo file with all your processing on it (plug ins, enveloping etc), then put that stereo file into another daw and then try printing it again, so your not adding anything in the 2nd DAW.

Then compare the results
Yeah, a recording engineer was recommending the same thing to me a few months ago. Specifically telling me to actually "record" my project file and capture it through Pro Tools and then re-render the final result from there, instead of simply inserting it and rendering.

Any ideas why he specified on recording the project into PT, insteed of just drag & dropping it in there? What's the difference?
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah, a recording engineer was recommending the same thing to me a few months ago. Specifically telling me to actually "record" my project file and capture it through Pro Tools and then re-render the final result from there, instead of simply inserting it and rendering.

Any ideas why he specified on recording the project into PT, insteed of just drag & dropping it in there? What's the difference?
Im not sure tbh, it maybe worth doing both versions then A/Bing them to hear the difference. id be interested to hear them both
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Maniac

jseriousonline's Channel - YouTube

You can check out some of my work on you tube page.

Acid is still the program for me, I have protools 9 , but I am stuck on acid.

How many pairs of monitors are you using, do you have room treatment, what are your main eq and comp programs,

Acid is muddier than other software probably due to all the timestrtching, logic and protools sem to have better clarity and focus,but sound very clinical, in acid I find myself getting rid of mud in protools I am always trying to add character.

Try brainworx bx digital v2 , itchanged my mixes
Old 12th October 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzborn View Post
jseriousonline's Channel - YouTube

You can check out some of my work on you tube page.

Acid is still the program for me, I have protools 9 , but I am stuck on acid.

How many pairs of monitors are you using, do you have room treatment, what are your main eq and comp programs,

Acid is muddier than other software probably due to all the timestrtching, logic and protools sem to have better clarity and focus,but sound very clinical, in acid I find myself getting rid of mud in protools I am always trying to add character.

Try brainworx bx digital v2 , itchanged my mixes
Wonderful stuff you got going on bro (checked the conference vid), definitively banging out some nice sound out of Acid. So do you mix any of your beats on Acid? Or do you transfer all your projects over to Pro Tools and go from there, if so...How do you do your transfer? Do you render your work and shot out a single rendered .wav file of your beat over to PT? Or do you build your arrangements, then bounce all the project files, then open up the whole project on PT and expand from there? Do you play/sync any midi into Acid? Where do you add your limiters/compressors for your beats, in Acid or PT?

It be great, if you could provide a lil' more insight...I'd appreciate that, thanks!
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Maniac

I mix in acid, waves,uad,sonnox,brainworx, etc is the same in acid as it is in protools.

your room,converters,monitors, and training your ear is the biggest factors,

If you can hear it, you can Fix it
If you can hear it, you can Mix it
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Maniac

when I do a protools session, just to take my tracks out of acid, There is a Render function in acid that lets you renders all the individual files.I usually go back and rerender tracks that i want together, example,I like to have a separate track for hook and verse, because i may process each part diff. but for organization i would rerender and put them on same track.
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Maniac

I use loops, one shots, vsti's, my only externall keyboard, korg m3

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search