The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pitch shift programs Pitch & Harmony Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Pitch shift programs

So it's 2011, why can I still not speed up a two track a few BPMs without garbling the audio?

I'm generally using Pitch n Time for this sort of thing, but I'm lookin for some alternate suggestions. What are you guys using?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Huh ! Try cubase 6 mate !

Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Ableton. Best warping software in the biz. Thank me later.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pitch shift programs

Ableton is easiest. Most cases it's the best. Place warp algorhythm in "complex" mode. There will be artifacts but that's just par for the course. 88.2 and above fairs better. Better yet to have individual tracks/stems and use "beats" algo, on drums, "texture" or "complex" on synths, "tones" on bass and complex on vox and everything else, as opposed to doing a 2track. Obviously variables can require the aforementioned guide lines to be ignored... But those are good starting points.

Having used live for ages, I tend to grab it first... But logic flex and melodyne do awesome jobs too depending on how its applied. I find logic MUCH better for lining up one track to another for instance (snap to transient makes it a breeze).
Old 17th September 2011
X-Form for PT is really good.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Melodyne
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
So it's 2011, why can I still not speed up a two track a few BPMs without garbling the audio?
The key word here is TWO TRACK. Speeding up a 2 track master still sounds weird to me too, the strange artifacts in the formant shifting, the blurry smeared attack transients, it just doesn't sound clean. Pitch/formant shifting algorithms are clean enough to process individual tracks, jut not the whole finished master.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've had the best results with Ableton in terms of timestretching.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Kontakt will do it:

Reaktor:
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Community : Reaktor User Library

There are also free plugins like this one:
AudioUnits
Old 17th September 2011
I saw a producer using cubase 6 and the results were excellent.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

For *just a few BPM* up or down, Prosoniq's TimeFactory 2 gives the least artifacts IMHO.

Edit: actually I believe that Cubase 6 uses the DIRAC algorithm used in TF as well.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use Studio 1. All you need to do is wind the bpm up or down and it takes a lot of bpm before it gets garbled
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl View Post
I use Studio 1. All you need to do is wind the bpm up or down and it takes a lot of bpm before it gets garbled
Say hi to teddy heh
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

I just find it weird that something like a CDJ turntable can do this well for years now, but software seems to be laggin behind.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's also good to know that Reaper 2 & 3 (prolly 4 too) use the same pitch shift and time stretch algos as Live 8: Elastique Pro 2.

Except that Zplane says Reaper uses the v2 and Live 8 the v2.X, not sure at all if there is a difference.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post

I'm generally using Pitch n Time for this sort of thing, but I'm lookin for some alternate suggestions. What are you guys using?
X-form in elastic audio- Protools. You can go 20-30 bpms in either direction with no artifacts. Explained in this thread.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rap-h...ing-pitch.html
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Will have to experiment more with elastic audio. Tried it out and got the same artifacts. But I'll look into it further
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Will have to experiment more with elastic audio. Tried it out and got the same artifacts. But I'll look into it further
Follow the steps and I guarantee no artifacts.

X-Form in EA is a slower offline process and takes a few minutes but it is well worth it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search