The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question About Sends Saturation Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Question About Sends

So I use ableton to mix, and when i create a return track with some effects and send a certain track to it I've noticed that what I get in the master is a combination of my original track with the addition of however much gain I sent to the return track is playing on top of it.

I wanna know if people generally mix like this where you have original track and return track playing together, or is more common to choose the option sends only where you will ONLY hear the return track which is a wet version of the original track and use this to mix.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Make sure all your send effects are 100% wet - otherwise you're gonna get exactly what you said.

Other than that, it depends on what the effects are and what the desired end result is. I'm not sure there's much point in using sends if you only want to hear one of those tracks...
Old 15th September 2011
osd
Gear Nut

Seems like there are situations where one would want a mix of wet/dry. Isn't that called parallel processing or something of the sort?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Make sure all your send effects are 100% wet - otherwise you're gonna get exactly what you said.
Yup. If using an effect as a send, always set it to 100%. Then adjust the send level to your liking. Otherwise you are basically using it as an insert, but making your life harder in the process.

Obviously, some effects don't work well for sends. Sends are usually used for time based effects like reverb, delay, and the like.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Seems like there are situations where one would want a mix of wet/dry. Isn't that called parallel processing or something of the sort?
Umm no and yes. Burt effects on a bus should be 100% wet and effects on a track can be a 1 to what ever percentage.

When your effect is on the track, then you can play with the wet and dry percentage. When the effect is on the bus, the effect should be 100% wet and you control how much signal goes to that bus with the send volume knob. you just dial the send volume until you get the perfect amount of wet and dry signal.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Question About Sends

I disagree fellas. There are times that you don't want 100% wet on an aux. It is rare, sure. But sometimes it can be advantageous to use a bit of dry signal in the aux.

Example: vocals fed via send into an aux w a verb set to 100% wet, fed into decapitator 10% wet...

Can you route differently? Sure. But this is an effective technique.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but when you say "always" and "never" you normally leave room for error.

To be clear: the op needs to use 100% wet on the aux. I agree. But once you know the rules, you can break the rules to some creative ends...

I've also fed a few channels into an aux, filtered it heavily, then used ohmicide at like 30% wet, then that is fed to a bit of echoboy at 50%.

The list goes on, but my point is: don't cheat yourself out of options because you think there is only one way to skin a cat.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
I disagree fellas. There are times that you don't want 100% wet on an aux. It is rare, sure. But sometimes it can be advantageous to use a bit of dry signal in the aux.

Example: vocals fed via send into an aux w a verb set to 100% wet, fed into decapitator 10% wet...

Can you route differently? Sure. But this is an effective technique.

I'm not trying to split hairs, but when you say "always" and "never" you normally leave room for error.

To be clear: the op needs to use 100% wet on the aux. I agree. But once you know the rules, you can break the rules to some creative ends...

I've also fed a few channels into an aux, filtered it heavily, then used ohmicide at like 30% wet, then that is fed to a bit of echoboy at 50%.

The list goes on, but my point is: don't cheat yourself out of options because you think there is only one way to skin a cat.
Always may not be the right word. 99% of the time would be better. For me, I would just bus and use an insert thought.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Question About Sends

99.9%! agreed!

Like I said, for creative, but not necessarily fundamental reasons. Some fun stuff if y'all haven't tried it though... I know it's a bit mote common in sound design and video post production than in music.

I saw a very excellent tutorial on sound design for film where this type of thing was done to great effect. The name escapes me, but I'll look it up if anyone's intrested....

Worth noting: I don't trust live's adc on sends. If you want to parallel process just copy over to a new track. It's much easier than using track delay to offset. If you want to see for yourself: resample the output of a blank aux to a new track and compare the two waves. The resampled one will be late. You then try to offset by the delay amount, but that's a can of worms best left closed.

Live's rad, but it's not without it's quirks.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

FYI I posted this originally and realized I had been trying to do things like parallel compression and the such through return tracks, when really what I meant to do is create a bus track to obtain the same audio from a first track to combine others into a single track that could then be used with return tracks with reverbs and delays and the such

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search