The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
has anyone made full tracks on fantom x or the likes? Keyboard Workstations
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

has anyone made full tracks on fantom x or the likes?

With only 16 tracks, i find it hard to make songs in the fantom x by itself. I usually use 16 tracks for drums alone. And when i combine sounds, they take up more than one track so i cant see how a 16 track keyboard could be called a workstation unless you're making ringtones?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Ahhhh what a waste of money. Never buying hardware again.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I usually use 16 tracks for drums alone.
Lot of layering? Could try resampling if it can do it.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thats nonsense. I make full tracks all the time on my motif 16 track, most of the time only using up around 8-12 tracks. I make mostly westcoast hip hop and funk/r&b. I dont have any complaints about not getting a full sound or being fat enough. imo, ringtone beats are more likely those to need the huge track count because the producers only know how to play 1 note at a time, needing 5 tracks just to play a chord.

These huge track counts also seem to be connected to the loudness wars and/or the thin sound of software. It sounds like you need to layer a soft synth like 4 times to equal the fatness of 1 hardware synth track. And because everybody wants their songs super loud you need to layer it a ton of times to keep up with the next guy who's doing that.

imo, All you really need to full make full sounding songs are 8 tracks. 3 for drums, 1 for bass, 1-2 for keys, and 1-2 for guitar. Do your layering in your perfomance of each instrument and learn how to play more than 3 note chords, and you won't have to use up 4 tracks per instrument. You got 10 fingers for playing keys and 5 for guitar. Then you got 8 tracks left for complimentary/background instruments, and if you wanted could still layer 2 synths, 3 horns, and 3 strings. And then there's always resampling if you need an extra one or two.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
Thats nonsense. I make full tracks all the time on my motif 16 track, most of the time only using up around 8-12 tracks. I make mostly westcoast hip hop and funk/r&b. I dont have any complaints about not getting a full sound or being fat enough. imo, ringtone beats are more likely those to need the huge track count because the producers only know how to play 1 note at a time, needing 5 tracks just to play a chord.

These huge track counts also seem to be connected to the loudness wars and/or the thin sound of software. It sounds like you need to layer a soft synth like 4 times to equal the fatness of 1 hardware synth track. And because everybody wants their songs super loud you need to layer it a ton of times to keep up with the next guy who's doing that.

imo, All you really need to full make full sounding songs are 8 tracks. 3 for drums, 1 for bass, 1-2 for keys, and 1-2 for guitar. Do your layering in your perfomance of each instrument and learn how to play more than 3 note chords, and you won't have to use up 4 tracks per instrument. You got 10 fingers for playing keys and 5 for guitar. Then you got 8 tracks left for complimentary/background instruments, and if you wanted could still layer 2 synths, 3 horns, and 3 strings. And then there's always resampling if you need an extra one or two.
Or in other words... become an actual musician! Not just a beat programmer.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
I usually use 16 tracks for drums alone.
If that is going to be the case, buy a separate sampler to handle drums alone.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

16 tracks for drums???

You need to learn how to program drums.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know about the Fantom in particular but I don't see why you can't have all your drums on one track. When you track out, just mute all the other drums if it doesn't have the ability to solo a sound.

16 tracks is too little for me personally, coming from a software background. I often use less (assuming one track is drums) but often use more. I could layer sounds in many cases on the same track to get a lower track count but it's still a pain.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

16 for drums is a lot in my opinion anyway. 8-10 is more like it for me as i dont layer fantom drums. the sounds are already good and clean. mpc and fantom are a better combo. if u need 16 for drums then you u need to grab a mpc or be more frugal
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

I mean I guess I could fit my drums in 3 tracks and I guess I could have 13 tracks for instruments... but if I want to add all kinds of sounds to change things up, or for like builds, it can get messy very quickly. I'm in a better mood now and not hating my Fantom so much.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

I used to use my friend's Korg Triton Le and I never even needed all 16 tracks for my beats. I would use 3 tracks for my drums because I like to use 3 different drum kits instead of using one drum kit and using that kit's hi hats, snares and kicks. Then my bass line would be on another track, with my lead instrument on another track and rhythm instrument on another track. Sometimes I might have multiple rhythms and leads playing together to form my melody (like an jazz/marching band or orchestra). Next would be my simple or complex chords. Last would be some other drum sounds or sound effects. I made r&b and hip hop and I never once used all 16 tracks.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

has anyone made full tracks on fantom x or the likes?

LOL...I've made whole albums on a Fantom X (including the song in my sig).

As has already been said, you can layer/group/stack your drums on one midi track and mute what you don't need on track down.

On a side rant, I think one of the biggest issues with music now is that the beat is the spotlight. I was listening to some instrumentals from some soundclick beatmakers one day and thinking that, as a writer and singer, there's NO WAY I could write OR sing anything other than the simple nursery rhyme **** people come up with these days. There's just no room for anything. Too much goin on in the instrumental. 50 layered synth pads + 808 + 35 different "percussion" beeps and blips + that damn synth swell that EVERYBODY uses now = who the hell needs vocals?

Anyway...back on topic. I have a love/hate relationship with my Fantom X. I've wanted to trade it, throw it off a balcony, burn it, let somebody's baby momma pour water on it while plugged in....yet somehow I've managed to do my best work on it - and I've worked on a LOT of different ****. Some of the most powerful VSTi's out there in some cases.

I just can't manipulate things on other systems the way I do on my Fantom X. Had a lot of fun when I had a Motif ES too. I miss that thing. :(
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

This track was done exclusively with the Fantom X7:

http://www.mennodeboer.com/site/album.html

I mixed it in Nuendo with Waves plug-ins.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
This track was done exclusively with the Fantom X7:

album

I mixed it in Nuendo with Waves plug-ins.

While there's no hiding that guitar sound from me (lol) you do a great job of making it sound "your own". I think that's what most young beat makers don't get these days. Make your own sound. That is how you stand out. Nobody needs another Kanye or 40. We already got one of each...

P.S. I know that side stick very well too...lol

EDIT: Your piano playing is f___in sick, dude...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

I like your song Trell, good stuff!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindseye View Post
I like your song Trell, good stuff!
Thanks!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
While there's no hiding that guitar sound from me (lol) you do a great job of making it sound "your own". I think that's what most young beat makers don't get these days. Make your own sound. That is how you stand out. Nobody needs another Kanye or 40. We already got one of each...

P.S. I know that side stick very well too...lol

EDIT: Your piano playing is f___in sick, dude...
Thank you for listening and the appreciation!

Am on laptop now, will check back when I'm on the studio computer and listen to yours.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search