The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My first attempt at building my own 808 Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th September 2011
My first attempt at building my own 808

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5129928/My%20808%20Kit.zip

Its not that great, but I'm gonna improve upon them. Mix the initial "Pop" more quietly and the "boom" a bit louder.

Download them if you like, but I'm not promising anything awesome, or anything remotely awesome. Any critique on how to make them better?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatstruggles View Post
The higher your sounds went, the better they got, mostly cause I could hear them better. But the click is there on all of them, and they all sound the same =/.

I wrote an e-book on how to make 808's a way I found out, here's the link for an intro of it.

How To Make 808's -- Sample Pages
This is surely an interesting exercise on modelling different type of drum sound but why calling it "808's"? The sonic of an 808 is just different to that one's!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

the title is a bit misleading.... you made me think you are actually building an 808.

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I clicked on this thread too, thinking you were building a hardware 808.
Old 14th September 2011
Yeah sorry guys, should've been a little more specific. The initial click was generated from a real 808 audio sample...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Well what would you consider these?

808 Listen!

Yo off topic: -- Circuit Rems, 512 on your sound cloud first song is pretty sick man, props!
?? This really doesn't sound like an 808. Usually I would call every drumsound that doesn't really emulate the sounds of a specific drummachine like 808 or 909 an analog drumsound but since the term "analog" isn't really correct here and can cause misunderstanding I would rather call it synthdrum sound.

peace
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
The higher your sounds went, the better they got, mostly cause I could hear them better. But the click is there on all of them, and they all sound the same =/.

I wrote an e-book on how to make 808's a way I found out, here's the link for an intro of it.

How To Make 808's -- Sample Pages
I didn't pitch shift or change the click at all for any of the samples...I didn't work out for me whenever I tried that..and the samples start out at 30 something HZ, so the first ones are very very sub bass-y. Its literally C1-B2
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
the title is a bit misleading.... you made me think you are actually building an 808.

me too.

what's the point in creating 808 samples anyway? you either fail, or you create one you can download for free.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
me too.

what's the point in creating 808 samples anyway? you either fail, or you create one you can download for free.
One point to it is the fun fact, if you're an in synthesis interrested guy. The Other is, that you might vary it's sonic character slighty.

I did a patch, where I have recreated the single components of 808 Sounds. Taking the Bass Drum I have generated chromatic samples of the pitch bent sine form with sustain volume duration of about 3 seconds and each note of those with different amounts of affecting pitch (between which I choose by velocity). The other neccessary component is the trigger pulse that gives the click sound - I have separated that and inserted a small piece of silence in the beginning. This sample I load into 7 cells (or slots) with Round Robin activated to random play the click sound with different values of the Sample Start time. Cause the sine wave told first has long, sustain Volume I can adjust the decay of the drum really easily and even decide, how strong or weak the click sound should be - simply by adjusting it's volume level.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Yeah sorry guys, should've been a little more specific. The initial click was generated from a real 808 audio sample...
not what i mean... i mean... "building my own 808" is misleading.

it implies you're actually building an actual hardware 808 drum machine while you're just trying to emulate a certain soundwave from that machine.

Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
not what i mean... i mean... "building my own 808" is misleading.

it implies you're actually building an actual hardware 808 drum machine while you're just trying to emulate a certain soundwave from that machine.

Thats what I was apologizing for lol. Misleading everyone in the title. I really didn't mean to. The second sentence was an entirely different thought.

BREAK!

I already said that they weren't that good, they were my first attempt at making them, and I know that there's an "art" to making 808s. I just wanted to have my fun in attempting to make some.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

no worries, it's kind of funny, that's why i posted the pic.

though i think a lot of younger dudes don't even know an 808 is an old drum machine, they think 808 is slang for ''that bass'' they hear on 9 out of 10 songs on their ipod.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
no worries, it's kind of funny, that's why i posted the pic.

though i think a lot of younger dudes don't even know an 808 is an old drum machine, they think 808 is slang for ''that bass'' they hear on 9 out of 10 songs on their ipod.
I'm a younger producer, but I know what an 808 drum machine is lol. I've never messed around with one, pretty much because I dont really have a need to, but never-the-less, I know what it is.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not bad at all for a first attempt. Keep twaeking and you'll be amazed what u come up with
Old 23rd August 2012
Well I've created a few sets and really didn't like them all, where can I get (for free or purchase) some nice 808s that have been modified in this way? I've completely avoided using 808s cause I couldnt make my own and it bothered me, but I shouldn't have to neglect a style of production I like just because I can't create the sound myself. So once again, where do you guys pick up your modified 808s (not the original sounds from the original machine).

I hate to sound too "n00bish," but hopefully I earned SOMEONE'S respect for at least trying before I just shelled out some dough to get some :/
Old 23rd August 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

You are trying to create synth bass drums? The term 808 is misused. For a very long time i really did think it was just a sine wave but a fair bit more is going on. Creating a synth bass kick is one thing (and something i totally promote). If you want an 808 - use an 808.

I have recently recorded and sampled one with a little Icki twist (Beat you down) got a demo. Would be happy to send you a small sample for reference while you work on your own. Contact me in PM. I dont mind handing out some free samples to those that have contributed to the forum.

Also could be good to move the theory to Synth Bass drum programming.

- First thing is you need to think about what you're using to create it. With percussive sounds the VCO/Filter and Envelope character is very important. Snappy env etc.

- Lets assume a nice Mono synth will be used, this is a good example as quite a few people have access to a Mono (Analogue rules )

1) First take the resonance on a filter (Low pass is preferable but no rules) The 24 db ladder style filters (MOOG) work great. Put the resonance right up.

2) Take the filter cut off and pull it all the way down.

3) In terms of the filters envelope keep it around mid way as with decay and release.

The above three steps are the foundation to designing a percussive sound. The rest is in the synth timbre and quality of filter. Ok this is a seriously scaled down explanation but i can go further if people are interested - Perhaps do this in some well known synths.

The point im making is that the 808 operates differently.

- The 808 BD has no noise generator (another crucuial part of designing percussive synth sounds). It also has no real contour generator. It creates the sound using a unique circuit 'Bridged T-network' unlike any other oscilators you probably have access to.

- As a result the 808 used + feedback to determine the decay. As you increase the amplitude of feedback the decay increases. So the sound of a continuous osc.

- It then gets a little techi = The punchiness comes then frrom the accent as you trigger the oscilator.

Two images enclosed demonstrate the standard synth drum signal path vs the 808.
Attached Thumbnails
My first attempt at building my own 808-808.gif   My first attempt at building my own 808-standard.gif  
Old 23rd August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 View Post
You are trying to create synth bass drums? The term 808 is misused. For a very long time i really did think it was just a sine wave but a fair bit more is going on. Creating a synth bass kick is one thing (and something i totally promote). If you want an 808 - use an 808.

I have recently recorded and sampled one with a little Icki twist (Beat you down) got a demo. Would be happy to send you a small sample for reference while you work on your own. Contact me in PM. I dont mind handing out some free samples to those that have contributed to the forum.

Also could be good to move the theory to Synth Bass drum programming.

- First thing is you need to think about what you're using to create it. With percussive sounds the VCO/Filter and Envelope character is very important. Snappy env etc.

- Lets assume a nice Mono synth will be used, this is a good example as quite a few people have access to a Mono (Analogue rules )

1) First take the resonance on a filter (Low pass is preferable but no rules) The 24 db ladder style filters (MOOG) work great. Put the resonance right up.

2) Take the filter cut off and pull it all the way down.

3) In terms of the filters envelope keep it around mid way as with decay and release.

The above three steps are the foundation to designing a percussive sound. The rest is in the synth timbre and quality of filter. Ok this is a seriously scaled down explanation but i can go further if people are interested - Perhaps do this in some well known synths.

The point im making is that the 808 operates differently.

- The 808 BD has no noise generator (another crucuial part of designing percussive synth sounds). It also has no real contour generator. It creates the sound using a unique circuit 'Bridged T-network' unlike any other oscilators you probably have access to.

- As a result the 808 used + feedback to determine the decay. As you increase the amplitude of feedback the decay increases. So the sound of a continuous osc.

- It then gets a little techi = The punchiness comes then frrom the accent as you trigger the oscilator.

Two images enclosed demonstrate the standard synth drum signal path vs the 808.
Yes, I wasn't trying to disgrace the name "808" with my confusion. I'm wanting to create a synth bass drum that has pitches which can be laid across a sampler and triggered as the tonic (or any other note) for a chord! (best explanation I can think of). I've listened to rap on and off througout my entire life, but am, at heart, a "metal head." I mostly produce rap productions since thats what most "clients" bring me, but I'm still foreign to most lingo and am subject to misinformation like most others. Either way, I waltz in and out of the hip hop GZ community and every no and then I end up sticking my foot in my mouth (like with this thread).

Thanks a ton for the technical breakdown, I'm not a huge programming guy, but I follow along with some of it, though I dont have any analog synths. I own Komplete 8, but honestly I've been lost with it since I received it. Programming is a whole new world to me outside of the productions I was doing with the simple built in PT instruments (Xpand2, etc - which inevitably made me really vulnerable to crazy interfaces like that of massive). Hopefully I can find the inspiration to even piddle with it.

Oh, and I appreciate you helping me, saying that I contributed to the community. I'm doing my best to give everything I might create away. I've made those bass drum synth samples up above AND removed all my current project info whoring from my signature to fill it with links to a few instruments I've made and promotion pages I've created to help others. I really like helping anyone in anyway that I can, which is why I come to the GS with such optimism that there will be at least a few others with the same outward expressions on helping me.

Thanks for the great response.
Old 23rd August 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Yes, I wasn't trying to disgrace the name "808" with my confusion. I'm wanting to create a synth bass drum that has pitches which can be laid across a sampler and triggered as the tonic (or any other note) for a chord! (best explanation I can think of). I've listened to rap on and off througout my entire life, but am, at heart, a "metal head." I mostly produce rap productions since thats what most "clients" bring me, but I'm still foreign to most lingo and am subject to misinformation like most others. Either way, I waltz in and out of the hip hop GZ community and every no and then I end up sticking my foot in my mouth (like with this thread).

Thanks a ton for the technical breakdown, I'm not a huge programming guy, but I follow along with some of it, though I dont have any analog synths. I own Komplete 8, but honestly I've been lost with it since I received it. Programming is a whole new world to me outside of the productions I was doing with the simple built in PT instruments (Xpand2, etc - which inevitably made me really vulnerable to crazy interfaces like that of massive). Hopefully I can find the inspiration to even piddle with it.

Oh, and I appreciate you helping me, saying that I contributed to the community. I'm doing my best to give everything I might create away. I've made those bass drum synth samples up above AND removed all my current project info whoring from my signature to fill it with links to a few instruments I've made and promotion pages I've created to help others. I really like helping anyone in anyway that I can, which is why I come to the GS with such optimism that there will be at least a few others with the same outward expressions on helping me.

Thanks for the great response.

HAHA, Dont take the people biting at ya to seriously. The Rap forum is a unique beast. A lot of people are actually very helpful or having a playful dig -no harm intended.

-- I dont think it was misleading actually. Anyways. Yes you can use komplete 8.

The question then becomes do you want to use FM or additive/wavetable style synthesis. My basic explanation was just that - subtractive classic approach. You could even create a drum synth in Reactor!

Fm is a little more complex and you need to understand the architecture (Algo's/operators and how they react) a little more. I dont suggest using FM8 unless you get that - Massive would work if you fancy giving it a go. As stated if you just want something to sample then use a sample . If you're interested in creating something different or learning then get the synthesis knowledge. Remember - replicating the actual mechanics of the drum from trapped air and membrane vibrations in the synth world is not easy!!

PM me and we can work something out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search