The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help me sing like a chick Single-Channel Preamps
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Help me sing like a chick

lol

But yes. I want to lace a couple tracks with vocals but have them sounding female and chant like... similar to the power intro vocals.

I can pitch shift, tweak etc but I cant seem to et it right.

Do I need to sing in a different key if I'm going to pitch up so I'm in tune?

Yeah...... new to this and am getting some pretty lame results heh

cheers guys
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
you need some of that formant shifting combined with pitch change.
I normaly head for the vocoder when I want that kind of effect. doesnt sound like a chick, but it can fill that roll quite well
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have some really sharp knives that might help you out.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The best man for this job is a woman! Hire a female singer...
<L>
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Need my nuts for jacking off to the amazing music I'll be making once my feminine tones have been realized thanks Marshall

No... I wont be hiring anyone at this point. It just needs to be sounding different.. and feminine toned yet maybe not female...keeps you guessing... like Grace Jones heh
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Warm leatherette// MMmmm/
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Help me sing like a chick

Slow down the whole thing old fashioned style. No time stretch/pitch plugs, just old fashioned style. I haven't had to do this in a traditional daw, but I'm sure it's an available option.

In ableton you can set it to repitch on the algorhythm then lower the global tempo.

As long as you are in key with the slowed version you should stay that way when sped up... Though occasionally stacked harmonies will sound off. From there go to melodyne and pitch correct. Adjusting formants then will do a bit to male it more convincing (good advice from earlier post! I wouldn't have remembered to suggest it otherwise)

This is one area where the old tascam 424 kick asss though... Just use the varispeed wheel and presto. I used to get this goth girl to sing back up vox on some of my stuff (except secretly it was me... No I haven't talked to a shrink about it :p) I think you'll find doing back ups will be far more convincing and easier than doing a lead that way... The lead might really expose the fact it came from a dude.

Good luck w it...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Lol!! What a great thread!

Boss VT-1 was one of the earlier 90s solutions. It was made for radio personalities. I'm sure there are cheaper options, but I got one at a flea market for $15!!! Quickly resold on the bay.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is that french company making expensive plugins which got something that is supposed to be able to achieve that...
it's called Flux. I can not remember the name of the plugin though.

As someone said before... the formant have to be reshaped I believe....
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.S.E View Post
There is that french company making expensive plugins which got something that is supposed to be able to achieve that...
it's called Flux. I can not remember the name of the plugin though.

As someone said before... the formant have to be reshaped I believe....
I started a similar thread over in the electronic forum after reading that Amon Tobin did something just like what OP wanted to achieve on the ISAM record, and i had been trying to figure it out for a minute before hearing it done myself.

So i d/l'ed a demo of the Flux software and it is a CPU Monster. Granted I'm on one of the ****tiest setups in this forum, so maybe you'll have more luck. I couldn't get the thing to work well for me with the few minutes I had ****ing around with the controls on a machine that could hardly handle the processing it required - so my verdict based upon some limited time with it was simply it couldnt achieve what i needed it do, but again, since my system didnt handle the plug that well - i didnt spend a lot of time trying to figure it out/couldnt get it to achieve what i wanted to do.

But apparently this is the software to do it with from what i've heard - i just couldnt get it to do what i wanted exactly. My final vocal product sounded way too unnatural still.

Dayl, please keep us informed as to what you do/achieve because I'd definitely be curious if you can make it happen though.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search