The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The making of The Low End Theory Turntables
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The making of The Low End Theory

Unquestionable work of genius.

Well... unquestionable if you wanna be my friend.

- c
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hmmm, I was working in the same building where Qtip recorded his last album and he told me that an ensoniq eps was used to make the low end theory.

Sent from my HERO200 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yo, my mic is sounding bug. Bob Power, you there?(Yeah) Adjust the bass and treble make my s**t sound clear
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

@beyondat Well, I'm not sure that's the critical detail of this story, but sure.

- c
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

If that detail is wrong, how many others are?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Clearly, to Bob Power, which sampler was used = not a critical point. The only reason he refers to samplers is to say that they had limited memory/fidelity at the time. He's just talking about the big picture of the technological context.

Coolest part of the article was when he was talking about "the rub" that happened with sample-collage music. When a live musician plays to a track, the rhythm of the playing naturally conforms and embraces the track. The resulting fluidity, though it is musical, can take the charm out of the part. When it's a sample, part of the charm is the intrinsically awkward rhythmic geometry of the fact that the original part was never intended for the new context. So sometimes you have to preserve that awkwardness in order to make the part work, counterintuitively.

That was an interesting observation.

As for which sampler was used where, I mean, who cares, really? I sure don't. It's The Low End Theory!

It's the spirit and the ideas that mattered.

- c
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat View Post
Hmmm, I was working in the same building where Qtip recorded his last album and he told me that an ensoniq eps was used to make the low end theory.

Sent from my HERO200 using Gearslutz.com App
Really? Because he's always said he used the SP1200/S950 duo for his Tribe stuff.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Did anyone read the article? which sampler used is beside the point.

Love this album. Excellent read.

Thanks for the post, I'll be readin it twice
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

I read it, and was pretty disappointed. The content is basically exactly the same as Bob Power's Red Bull Music Academy interview. Nothing in-depth at all.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thick accent View Post
Really? Because he's always said he used the SP1200/S950 duo for his Tribe stuff.
It was str8 from Qtips mouth. The reason I remember what he said is because Qtip is the reason that I started making music, Then come to find out he used the eps , the piece of gear that I started out on! Anyway, maybe he sequenced with the eps and used the 950 and 1200 for sounds.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Clearly, to Bob Power, which sampler was used = not a critical point. The only reason he refers to samplers is to say that they had limited memory/fidelity at the time. He's just talking about the big picture of the technological context.

Coolest part of the article was when he was talking about "the rub" that happened with sample-collage music. When a live musician plays to a track, the rhythm of the playing naturally conforms and embraces the track. The resulting fluidity, though it is musical, can take the charm out of the part. When it's a sample, part of the charm is the intrinsically awkward rhythmic geometry of the fact that the original part was never intended for the new context. So sometimes you have to preserve that awkwardness in order to make the part work, counterintuitively.

That was an interesting observation.

As for which sampler was used where, I mean, who cares, really? I sure don't. It's The Low End Theory!

It's the spirit and the ideas that mattered.

- c
I hear you its just that I read the article a few weeks ago and not to hear the eps mentioned has me wondering now.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

nice one.

would love an indepth article on midnight marauders.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Very inspiring to read about that groundbreaking lp!
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Head

Also one of my favorite albums of all time. Still sounds great 20 years later.

Looking fwd to seeing Beats, Rhymes, and Life if I ever get out of the studio. A Classic Albums video or in-depth article on it would rule.

I love that there are no more than a handful of tracks on each tune (except Scenario). The performances are focused yet playful.

Best piece of gear on the album? (IMHO) Ron Carter's bass. ;-) Thanks a lot, Ron Carter is on the bass. Check it out.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

this was my first cd..

real good read by the way...props
Old 18th September 2011
Just had this on today, 20 years! damn! i was 16 back then, great times, this album still holds up in 2011, so tight!
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

He mentions that there have been albums that have a similar sound since but that they don't resonate because of time frame and other factors... BOB POWER if you are reading this, kindly post a list of said albums so I can buy them. Sounds like BS to me... prove me wrong.

Good quality Hip-Hop will always resonate no matter when it is released because it is extremely rare.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search