The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Do you sample directly into DAW? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

Do you sample directly into DAW?

Im getting really sick of spending an hour warping everytime I sample a track. I know some people record into an audio editing program like soundforge, find their loops and chop them out. Is this a better approach? Thanks guys, btw Im using Live.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't warp. I love live. I've used it avidly since live 3. Don't warp. Don't use loops. Chop.

I'm not saying it's terrible to do so. What I'm saying is: until you are good at both, you are a slave to chance. Inevitable artifacts will occur. And your possiblities for creativity will be limited. If you must use live (and I prefer making slices in recycle then importing IF I'm using live) then do it with the warp off. Then find the slice(s) you want by using the start and end points. Make a copy, drag it below, and continue to find new places in your sample to trigger.

Using this method will give you a more traditional (and in my opininion better) sound. You can the assign the samples to midi keys or pads, or even use the alpha key mode (make sure the little keyboard icon is grey not yellow). Likewise, turn off, or at least turn down the launch quantise. This gives you an automatic choke group/monophonic sampler w/o even opening a virtual instrument. Should you want a polyphonic option ANY one will work... But I would grab drumrack and simply drag and drop your chops.

Please, not a diss to ableton, loop users, or warping. Just a very strong opinion from someone who has done both methods for years. I have shown this method to tons of live users who now prefer it as well. It's one example of ableton's strength (warping) getting in the way of a time tested method for hiphop. Use warp when you NEED it or at least for an artistic preference and NOT because it is the way the program initialized.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi

yup..used to record straight into SF.. now directly into studio one.

From what you are saying, a similar method could save you a lot of time.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I record into pro tools then export to the MPC.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

everything in pt.

import audio then chop the #$%%## out of it.

hate warping tbh, i only use it to touch up a groove when needed.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I chop up samples in Logic 9
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Here is my preferred method when I decide to mess with samples or loops:

I'm a Cubase user and the sample editor is pretty garbage in the DAW. I will sample in Audacity if it's coming from vinyl. I find it much easier to do the initial HEAVY lifting (Chopping to a 4 bar 8 bar loop etc) in Audacity.

Once my 4 bar loops or what ever I have is done...I then export as WAV then import that into my DAW (Cubase) to use the better tools (Choppers, VST's etc) on it.

Now a days only time I sample straight into Cubase is when I am sampling an entire album and chopping into individual songs and exporting to mp3's

But in retrospect, if my DAW had a better, more intuative editor I would do it all in the DAW for simplicity and work flow. So what ever method people have listed that suits your workflow is probably the best.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for logic

I was posting an ableton specific approach for the op.

In logic, I have the slash key setup as the divide function. I then set it to low latencey mode. I chop it realtime. I'm not sure if any other daw does it that style, but it's a very powerful, very accurate, very fast method. Props to mike Chav for that just blaze tutorial (pretty sure it was mike). I would encourage folks to check it out. Search "just blaze" and "logic" and I'm pretty sure you'll find it.

I also use live, recycle, and maschine for chopping. Each has their strengths and I can usually figure out which I want to use by hearing the sample.

Chefs have a favorite knife, but the others each have a purpose too.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I record into my daw (not directly, I use my mixer's eq's). I then chop up in recycle. Pretty painless IMO.

I don't know what warp is, but I am guessing it is some sort of stretching. I personally almost never time stretch. When I do, I will actually render the tracks individual, without effects, in Record, then reroute that audio to my effects so it maintains my mix and gives me the opertunity to change things later. This is only when something is way to quick/slow even after excessive pitching. That usually is rare enough to not have to worry about.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

in FL I just sample using edison.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I always record a whole song, chop it in down in audition, save and assign the chops to pads/keys. I use reason/record, so I've been seriously considering recording individual parts directly into that instead, seems like it would speed up my workflow. I need to stop being lazy and get recycle and incorporate it
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Sampling In Ableton With AudioCzar Vol. 1.1 - YouTube this helped me alot in ableton you dont have to warp everything this works WAY BETTER
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aproblem View Post
in FL I just sample using edison.
^^^^this.

If I have a specific idea in mind, I'll crop down to exactly what I want to use, then place markers directly in the wav file. That way whether I want to chop, stretch, pitch, whatever, I just drag'n'drop it. If I don't, I'll take really rough chops of a few seconds each and come back to them later.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Can someone break down the exact definition of warping when it comes to beatmaking???
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

^ that's a very open ended request. What's the exact definition of going fast when racing?

Warping is the manipulation of audio by which event timing is adjusted independent of pitch.

Warping in relation to beatmaking, would be using the warp feature to tailor, for example, a musical phrase in time/sync with the drums and/or tempo of the other instruments or sounds... To make a beat.

Anyone else wanna take a crack at it? Does that help? Might be faster for you to watch some ableton warping tutorials. They have tons on their website.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I prefer the hands-on approach to sampling and chopping in Maschine.

Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

warping is ableton's term for finding the tempo thats at i said watch this video it explains how to do it Sampling In Ableton With AudioCzar Vol. 1.1 - YouTube
Old 15th September 2011
another one of those it depends, if i've got a very long piece of audio that i wanna chop samples from then it goes into soundforge, zones functions makes light work of a tiresome task. shorter bits of audio go into live, then chopped up and stuck into drum racks or left as audio and arranged n sometimes warped n messed with.

usually end up with a combination of all of the above.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
Don't warp. I love live. I've used it avidly since live 3. Don't warp. Don't use loops. Chop.

I'm not saying it's terrible to do so. What I'm saying is: until you are good at both, you are a slave to chance. Inevitable artifacts will occur. And your possiblities for creativity will be limited. If you must use live (and I prefer making slices in recycle then importing IF I'm using live) then do it with the warp off. Then find the slice(s) you want by using the start and end points. Make a copy, drag it below, and continue to find new places in your sample to trigger.

Using this method will give you a more traditional (and in my opininion better) sound. You can the assign the samples to midi keys or pads, or even use the alpha key mode (make sure the little keyboard icon is grey not yellow). Likewise, turn off, or at least turn down the launch quantise. This gives you an automatic choke group/monophonic sampler w/o even opening a virtual instrument. Should you want a polyphonic option ANY one will work... But I would grab drumrack and simply drag and drop your chops.

Please, not a diss to ableton, loop users, or warping. Just a very strong opinion from someone who has done both methods for years. I have shown this method to tons of live users who now prefer it as well. It's one example of ableton's strength (warping) getting in the way of a time tested method for hiphop. Use warp when you NEED it or at least for an artistic preference and NOT because it is the way the program initialized.
This was really helpful, thank you.
Old 16th September 2011
Deleted User #106149
If you want control of your samples download Cubase vst.5 32 score. Steinberg f*kt it up big time from SX onwards. Nothing comes close to VST 5. Try it, find it anywhere online.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Gearslutz.com App
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

I watched the AudioCzar video and liked it alot. I had wondered if the following would give you the same result...

instead of using something to tap out the tempo,why not just turn Abletons metronome on and mark where the 1 is on the clip. Then start the audio playing. then as the audio is playing adjust the bpm in the clip until the beats are in sync with the metronome. similar to how dj would beatmatch two records.

I believe it'd give you the same result or am I missing something ?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear
I know I am probably an outlier but I do all my flipping in the 303. I've found making beats using soft samplers is like m*******ting with my off-hand. I got no GAME.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
I've found making beats using soft samplers is like m*******ting with my off-hand.
I can understand that. Maschine is different though. It feels more like self-contained hardware in use:

Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

At aka:

That is one way to do it. But yeah, if you haven't tried an old fashioned chop then you are missing something. Warping introduces artifacts. Likewise the ability to rearrange the phrase(s) is limited with warping a loop vs chopping and arranging the chops.

Give both a shot and see how each method can produce benefits.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I do yes
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Wow, i feel old, i still sample directly to my MPC
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I chop in Reaper.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

sampling in ableton is way quicker and easier in general than doing it the old fashioned way—which i still do, but mostly out of a decade's+ worth of habit and sound quality reasons.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
I chop in Reaper.

Me too. It's pretty fast once you get used to it... Reaper has given more bang for the buck than any other software I've purchased. After chopping I can route the channel through my mpc.. with ease

Right now I'm more into audio only music production and not so much fiddling with midi tracks so reaper comes in handy in my situation.
Old 24th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandingo Beats View Post
I'm a Cubase user and the sample editor is pretty garbage in the DAW.
tutt

Now what Im doing is getting loops together in Cubase and I sample into the ASR then back into cubase..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search