The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question for the mix engineers Dynamics Plugins
Old 17th September 2011

heh.

I've found a mix is done

a) when the deadline hits
b) when the next job comes in and you have to make room

I've a feeling this is how most feel!
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just finished an album's tracking where we've been having to submix
A lot and it's been a while in the making so roughs have been quite mixed .
Finished tracking ,hurrah! Time to mix!
Band announce roughs sound great leave it as is .
Hmm ok
First time for me but maybe they're right

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 17th September 2011
Recently I found a way that works for me at the moment, I get all the tracks and songs to mix and start one after another, around 1hr for each one and then go to next one. That way I keep perspective and it`s easier for me to feel vibe of whole album. Also when I find something that fit more than one song (like some kind of processing of snare, or whatever) after one day of mixing I can put it wherever it needs to be. After a week I have first version of mix, then do revision which should be as final as possible at the second mix, third one is minor tweaks from band ... finish. Oh and it`s all ITB so it won`t work for OTB guys.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Your ears don't lie if it sounds like you envisioned it would then leave it alone
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I should just take the ones I'm stuck on mixing, start from scratch.

On those, it's clear I'm either lacking a goal or can't reach that goal - but I think in reality, half the problem is the original composition (I'm trying to make things that don't sound phat sound phat with efx) as some of them were made up to 5 years ago when I didn't have nearly as much understanding of what I was doing.

One of the favorite 'mixes' I did recently, I thought, 'wouldn't this track sound cool if it was all ran thru guitar amps?' - 5 hours later everything was either thru a guitar amp sim, whole cabinet sim, or some type of distortion - and it sounded good. I think it's because I had a clear goal and sound I wanted to get, and managed to execute it.

Mebbe instead of trying to stick efx on channels to fix the sound of the original instruments (drums/bass) on some tracks I'll try doubling some sounds instead....
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontra152 View Post
Your ears don't lie if it sounds like you envisioned it would then leave it alone

Even after 8 hours mixing ! heh
Old 25th September 2011
Deleted User
"art is never finished only abandoned"

-DaVinci
Old 31st October 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot View Post
I should just take the ones I'm stuck on mixing, start from scratch.

On those, it's clear I'm either lacking a goal or can't reach that goal - but I think in reality, half the problem is the original composition (I'm trying to make things that don't sound phat sound phat with efx) as some of them were made up to 5 years ago when I didn't have nearly as much understanding of what I was doing.

One of the favorite 'mixes' I did recently, I thought, 'wouldn't this track sound cool if it was all ran thru guitar amps?' - 5 hours later everything was either thru a guitar amp sim, whole cabinet sim, or some type of distortion - and it sounded good. I think it's because I had a clear goal and sound I wanted to get, and managed to execute it.

Mebbe instead of trying to stick efx on channels to fix the sound of the original instruments (drums/bass) on some tracks I'll try doubling some sounds instead....
Doubling works great I know this post is old but I double sometimes especially when I have a sample I want to use and I need just the lows or the highs I will double it up and eq the hell out if the one I need and compensate with the other to make it fatter or to give more presence to the sound

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search