The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
using mpc as controller to control itself Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

using mpc as controller to control itself

sorry first of all - this is complicated for me to explain correctly

i sequence everything in logic and use an mpc2000xl as basically an external sound sampler

in order for me to sequence the mpc samples in logic, i have to use a midi keyboard - wich is way less fun than playing the mpc pads

i want to be able to play the mpc pads - sequence what i am playing in logic and have logic playback the mpc samples - is that possible???

it seems like what you woulld do when you need to "turn local off" when using a keyvoard as both a controller and a sound module
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Its certainly possible, and probably not even that hard to set up. I can't tell you exactly how to do it in Logic though, I'm no Logic guru. You will need a MIDI interface to transmit the note data to and from Logic, and you will also need to sync your MPC to Logic via MIDI Beat Clock.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

thanks for the reply - let me try and explain it better

yes - i can sync the mpc and logic

yes - i can use the mpc pads to control sounds in logic (if i want mpc as master)

yes - i can use an external keyboard to trigger sounds in mpc (sequence in logic)

------------
i would like to use the mpc pads to trigger the mpc sounds while recording the midi data into logic sequencer
------------

the mpc wont transmit midi data unless you switch the source to "midi"
and the mpc wont trigger its internal sounds unless it is set to "drum 1-4"

see the problem

do you know what i mean - ?
Old 14th September 2011
Easy, mpc midi out to logic midi in to midi track. That midi track to midi in of mpc. Do it all the time in PT.

Edit:
Oh...Different than what I was thinking.

Can you?:

Output MTC from logic in midi in A of mpc for sync. Midi out b of mpc to midi in of logic to write midi notes? Output midi from logic to midi in B of mpc to play notes.

Would that work? Intresting...
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Are you sure it doesn't work when you leave the track type set to drum but assign a midi out port on the mpc?

I'm pretty sure that on both the 2000/2500 the mpc triggered it's own samples as well as those of a connected synth module in the past which would mean it's sending out midi...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't have a 2000xl in front of me and never used it like that. On my 1k, all you have to do is set the program, then set midi to the proper channel. Let's say my program is called "drums". I change the program to "drums". Then I set it to my corresponding mind outs (1B). After I do that track, I turn the Midi to "off". It will trigger on the MPC and in my DAW, then trigger back to the MPC fine. I think you have a midi problem somewhere.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search