The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My vocal mix chain (help?) Dynamics Plugins
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

My vocal mix chain (help?)

This was recorded on a Shure KSM27 microphone running through a Focusrite Saffire interface. The mix chain for this verse is:

Sonnox EQ: HPF at 115hz and narrow cut at 900Hz
Ren Comp: 5:1 / Threshold at -18dB / 4-6dB of reduction / attack at 3ms & release at 160ms / 4dB make up gain
Sonnox SuprEsser: 5-6dB reduction at 5-6kHz for the sibilances (AND manually ducking some troubling S's)
Ren EQ: 3 narrow cuts below 1kHz / wide boost at 3.5kHz and 9kHz for clarity
Sonnox Dynamics: I used the warmth feature here. I put it at 27%.
D-Verb: Medium plate... very very little applied.

I feel like with my equipment and plug ins I should be able to get a better result. Can anybody give me some pointers? I'm not completely satisfied with the quality of my recordings. I dont have a proper booth for recording and my room isnt treated, but my room isnt gigantic neither, but there is a slight natural verb. Any comments?
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

To be honest, I thought the quality of the vocals were very good.. They just need to be turned up a bit more lol.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks man but I think it still sounds very much like a home recording, which it is, but I think I can hide it better with the tools I have at my disposal. Anybody have any ideas on how to clean and tighten up my vocals more than what I am doing on my own already?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

My vocal mix chain (help?)

I notice that you didn't get as into specifics on you d-verb as you did with the rest:

Take some time to learn how to set verbs deliberatly, not just the wet/dry, but every last parameter. I find beginners are very limited in their understanding of predelay for instance. PM me if you'd like some specific tips, otherwise I'll hit like my 30th time spewing my comprimised vesion of storyville's thread on verb.... Some of y'all have to be used to me saying to check that out by now. Poorly programed verbs are the watermarks of amatuer mixers.

I'm curious how much time you spent placing the mic in your room... If it's not a treated room and still looks nice and symmetrical then that should be your first clue that it needs to find a better sweet spot. Even the worst rooms have places that the results will be better.

Plugs? Spl deverb (which is a lite version of the transient designer) can fix much of the problem too, but will never sound better than just fixing the acoustics.

Hope that gets the ball rolling...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

imo most hip hop vocals are out front. in saying so it sounds to me as if you tried to mix the vocals up into the instrumental and in attempt to make them poke out. sounds ok but vocals are buried..

do this try the opposite..
1)bypass all plugs on vocals put vocal fader to 0
2)lower the instrumental to get the vocal level where you want it without plugs
3)1st insert dynamics control such as a compressor or other method to get the vocals to sit in place to make them less jumpy
4)mix with eq, desser, aux verb, etc. or add another compressor
5)now bypass each plugins one by one making sure you are using your tools to enhance or fix problem areas. in doing so your gain structure and levels should not change for each plug you put on. should sound close if not the same as the original level for each plug enabled.
6)bypass all plugs and put all plugs back in making sure all levels once again are the same with a complete bypass.
7)see if all plugs are actually helping via bypass and have fun mixing
Old 13th October 2011
Here for the gear

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_10531399

the best way to my vox check it out! HIT_REWIND by Andres Ortiz

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search