The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any I to old to be in Hip Hop? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Any I to old to be in Hip Hop?

So I'm 27, I've been listening and living hip hop since I was 12 grew up with Biggie Nas Jay in my ears.

Been in Music Production for about 5 years but only recently decided I was going to start making moves.

Now I've scored a major deal with a MAJOR label and artist, but doubt is creeping in, I'm 27, this is my first commerical break, and everyone else is at least 5 years younger.

Problem is, I don't feel like I've done anything more with the extra years, I mean, check out rhianna 23 yrs old.

Nuff said.

Anyway, what you guys think? Is hip hop a young guns game?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nope - Pop music is. Hip Hop isn't.

But the fact remains, there are exceptions everywhere. Don't doubt yourself for a second - if your **** is on another level, suddenly 27 will be the age to be!

But my birthday was last week, and I understand just how ya feel.
Old 13th September 2011
8th
Gear Head

not old at all, for producing age doesn't matter, just music and for being an artist even Rick Ross started in his late 30s I believe. 20s is very young for anything in the industry
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Age is nothing, it's ability that counts... Alex Da Kid got his break at like 26, and he's been going from hit to hit for the last year.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Funny you should say that, I'm rolling with the guy's that blew him up..

Lets hope I'm next!

I've got a track for Jay probably not as big as NY was lol but close!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Zuko View Post
Funny you should say that, I'm rolling with the guy's that blew him up..

Lets hope I'm next!

I've got a track for Jay probably not as big as NY was lol but close!
Wow that's really good man, best of luck.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

You're not too old, you're too inscecure.

I see a lot of folks below 30 thinking about their age like they are 89. I don't get it most artists I like got successful around 27.

50 Cent 27, Eminem 27, Jay-Z was 26 when created Roc-A-Fella, Kanye West was 27 when College Dropout came out.

There are only very few who get successful around 20-22 AND is able to stay there. Will Smith, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg.

And these are only artists, not producers.

Forget about this and grind.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
You're not too old, you're too inscecure.

I see a lot of folks below 30 thinking about their age like they are 89. I don't get it most artists I like got successful around 27.

50 Cent 27, Eminem 27, Jay-Z was 26 when created Roc-A-Fella, Kanye West was 27 when College Dropout came out.

There are only very few who get successful around 20-22 AND is able to stay there. Will Smith, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg.

And these are only artists, not producers.

Forget about this and grind.
He beat me to it.

KEEP GRINDIN HOMIE!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

You think you're to old at 27??? that crazy. and what's even crazier is that you have 5 years of production experience. some people come in at 30 only just now realizing they want to do music with only a computer and they're still okay (some what).
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Yeah I guess you're right, This year I'm gonna start going hard.

Time to come over to the states like alex I think!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
Nope - Pop music is. Hip Hop isn't.

But the fact remains, there are exceptions everywhere. Don't doubt yourself for a second - if your **** is on another level, suddenly 27 will be the age to be!

But my birthday was last week, and I understand just how ya feel.

No disrespect brother but hip hop is pop music now days! At least it's part of it.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

27 isn't old at all...and isn't dr luke like forty something? dude has ran the pop charts for a while..
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aproblem View Post
27 isn't old at all...and isn't dr luke like forty something? dude has ran the pop charts for a while..
Doc Dre probably ain't the best example *although I understand what your saying* just because he is in the process of retiring right now. His "soon to come" album has been 5 years in the making and will be his last.

My "old" rapper example would be Tech N9ne, hes 39 years old. Been doing his music thing on his own indie label for 10 years now. His most recent album came 2 months ago and I would consider it to be his "breaking into the mainstream" album. Had features from Wayne, T-Pain, Snoop, B.O.B., Busta, Yellawolf, Kindrick Lamar, E-40, and some more i can't think of at the moment.

... Goes to show, hard work, don't give up, and be smart with your money, you can go places.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Pharrell is 40 or so now. I'm sure he got his break around your age. Besides, music has no age.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The producers "Tha Bizness" dont look too young to me and they had their strong run last year. My view is, its better to be older in the industry because you'll have more maturity rather than a young buck who is careless and can ruin their whole career.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Its odd to ask this question when the people who actually run **** are usually 1 and a half times or twice our age.

As far as pop music, the artists aren't exactly young unless you're talking about the Miley Cyrus crowd.

Perhaps we need to understand that perpetuating youth is just as important as being "youthful" ???

Not looking your age helps ALOT when you work with younger people (and older). Shallow but true.

Peace
Illumination
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

My dude, you'll come up against enough obstacles. Don't create unnecessary ones for yourself.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

If you want to feel better, I'm 51 and restarting my carreer as a song writer. I am definitely going to be writing hip hop.

I'm selling quality and quality always has value.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Like someone said above, I see a lot more people under 30 tripping on age than over 30. It's pretty evident now that you don't need to be young to get your break as a rapper. As a producer, if you started at 45 and really got going at 60, nobody is going to care if it sounds hot.

I would not have believed this when I was younger but it's not rare at all to be the youngest person when I am around people in the industry and I am 29.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Any I to old to be in Hip Hop?

Be child like not childish. Be like a kid but don't be immature. Be youthful. Be timeless. These are things you can control.

If you're 5 years older, then be 5 years better.

(and quit making us over 30s feel old ! :p)
Old 13th September 2011
Public Enemy was doing a world tour this year. Chuck D turned 50 this year.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
Public Enemy was doing a world tour this year. Chuck D turned 50 this year.
It's much different to be established and 50 than starting your career at 50. I just don't think that applies here.
Old 13th September 2011
DAH
Lives for gear

I m freakin 30, so should I go shoot myself with a gun I dont even have?
@OP: stop that doubting and celebrate what you have achieved, mane life's too short to feel sorrow and unawareness off one's age. When I was 18 O was dreamin to blow up in a year here in Russia as Cube did in US, and with every year going I shifted that date due.))) Suffice to say, I haven't released any record, got a diploma, a job, a wife and realized not all men can be Cube)
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Man I'm glad I read this thread cuz I was feeling the same way. I did take up production a few years ago as a backup to rap tho.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oprah didn't make her millions until her 40's!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Age in the Bizness

Age doesn't matter anymore. Years ago, there was a specific market music was targeted to (IE. 13 to 18). That doesn't really exist anymore. The crowd that actually has and spends money is the 25-45 crowd. Personally, I would rather capture the 25-45 market these days because these people who like hip hop have disposable income and go to shows, buy the music, etc.

As hip hop grows up, you are going to see older artists. Rakim is over 40 now and he has no plans of stopping. He has a strong fan base and a very strong market he caters to. I think it is going to become normal to see artists all over the age spectrum.

I think you are going to see the Wiz Kalifas (younger) and Rick Ross/Jay Z (Older) and in most cases, they have some of the same fan bases.

I just think age is really not relevant anymore because of what the internet has done. There is no more music business machine telling you what to buy anymore.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hell naw man! If your a Real hip hop head, you will never be too old. Shyt, ill be rappin till im 80. probably longer if i get that old. Ill be the koolest grandpa
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

27? you're in your prime. I did my best work when i was in my late 20's.

It's not like, "Hey, I'm 40 and still want to be in a rock band"...

Well, actually it is, and I'm not stopping because I think it wound kill me to give up.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The music scene is wide open and since hip hop has crossed all barriers, I think you'll hear more artists doing features with artists like B.B. King and the like. As long as the music is HOT who cares.....heh
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjboogie View Post
No disrespect brother but hip hop is pop music now days! At least it's part of it.
None taken. But you're selling yourself short if you think I haven't deeply considered the ins and outs of Pop music, Hip Hop music, and how they relate. It's a multi-dimensional consideration when negotiating the notion of genre - but let's just look at the top artists in the genres as defined by marketing people at the record label:

Hip-Hop
---------
Jay-Z
Kanye
Eminem
Lil' Wayne
Snoop
Dre
Nicki Minaj
Drake
Rick Ross

The youngest in that bunch is Drake - and he's 25.

Pop
----------
Britney Spears
Katy Perry
Ke$ha
Bruno Mars
Lady Gaga
Adele
Rihanna

I'm older than all of them except Britney.

Genre, in terms of the commercial distribution of music is not determined by musical content, but by demographic. Which is why when you walk(ed) into a music store you see Britney in Pop, and Beyonce' in R&B. At one time, they had similar producers, similar music styles and structures, similar dance choreographers - in fact, often times it was the very same producers working with both. So what made one Pop, and one R&B? Skin color. That's a whole different discussion - but the point is - if you are looking into the commercial Hip Hop game in regards to what age is acceptable to be marketed - similarity to Pop music is irrelevant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search