The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any I to old to be in Hip Hop? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
As long as the music is HOT who cares....
Exactly. Some of the best producers are over 40.

Quote:
Not looking your age helps ALOT when you work with younger people (and older). Shallow but true.
That's just a fact of life. And to extrapolate on this point, have you ever met really old people who seemed completely stupid? Have you ever met a child and thought "Hey, this one kid is special"... well it seems age just doesn't matter when it comes to creativity.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Zuko View Post
Funny you should say that, I'm rolling with the guy's that blew him up..

Lets hope I'm next!

I've got a track for Jay probably not as big as NY was lol but close!
Congratulations! I'm so happy to hear when people get a break. You're not too old. You bring something to the table that only age affords: maturity.... Though in my late-30s, still waiting for my break (& coming to terms with the fact it won't), 27 sounds pretty durn young to me! . Really: congrats! Enjoy every second. There'll be time enough for worry when the big wave recedes.... & it always recedes.... so does the hair line!
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

Age is nothing...I never even attempted anything musical until I was 33 and heard some of the beats out there and deciding I think I could have a go at that. Took a while to learn what works but It's been a year later and I'm still enjoying making music.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

You know anything about Indian Raga Music?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

^^this
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Raga? You mean "Music cycles"? I suppose this is a relevant point when it comes to age.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville View Post
None taken. But you're selling yourself short if you think I haven't deeply considered the ins and outs of Pop music, Hip Hop music, and how they relate. It's a multi-dimensional consideration when negotiating the notion of genre - but let's just look at the top artists in the genres as defined by marketing people at the record label:

Hip-Hop
---------
Jay-Z
Kanye
Eminem
Lil' Wayne
Snoop
Dre
Nicki Minaj
Drake
Rick Ross

The youngest in that bunch is Drake - and he's 25.

Pop
----------
Britney Spears
Katy Perry
Ke$ha
Bruno Mars
Lady Gaga
Adele
Rihanna

I'm older than all of them except Britney.

Genre, in terms of the commercial distribution of music is not determined by musical content, but by demographic. Which is why when you walk(ed) into a music store you see Britney in Pop, and Beyonce' in R&B. At one time, they had similar producers, similar music styles and structures, similar dance choreographers - in fact, often times it was the very same producers working with both. So what made one Pop, and one R&B? Skin color. That's a whole different discussion - but the point is - if you are looking into the commercial Hip Hop game in regards to what age is acceptable to be marketed - similarity to Pop music is irrelevant.
I agree with every aspect of your post except for lumping Adele in with those other pop artists.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

As long as you're making music you feeeel it's fine. I mean, you can't be pretending to be Soulja Boy at 27....
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
you can't be pretending to be Soulja Boy at 27....
Nonsense.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
So I'm 27, I've been listening and living hip hop since I was 12 grew up with Biggie Nas Jay in my ears.

Been in Music Production for about 5 years but only recently decided I was going to start making moves.

Now I've scored a major deal with a MAJOR label and artist, but doubt is creeping in, I'm 27, this is my first commerical break, and everyone else is at least 5 years younger.

Problem is, I don't feel like I've done anything more with the extra years, I mean, check out rhianna 23 yrs old.

Nuff said.

Anyway, what you guys think? Is hip hop a young guns game?
Now being that I don't know you or your talent or ability or anything about you personally so I can't say for sure... and no disrespect to all those younger than you and I but I can say without a doubt that what this genre needs more than anything is the wisdom, experience and skill that only comes with age, practice, focus and maturity. I grew up listening to all the Death Row, Bad Boy, Wu-Tang, northern california/bay area as well as stuff from UGK and others in the south and Twista and Crucial Conflict from the Midwest/Chicago and I can hardly stand to listen to anything that doesnt come from an artist that was putting out stuff from either the 90s and/or early part of the new millenium.

Alot of these artists were young and up and coming too at the time but they worked with other very talented and skilled individuals and worked hard to put out a polished project that was a true collaboration of talent, skill and so on which is sorely lacking in 90% of what is put out today.

In fact, Ive switched over to things like Jazz, Neo-Soul, Downtempo and so on bc I feel that rap and hip hop, for the most part-and with a few exceptions, has become so watered down, pop-ish, and lacking in any substance that 9 out of 10 tracks give me a pain in the ear and headache that forces me to dismiss the whole genre at times. I know I'm not alone either. I'm afraid the golden age was between about the late 80s and the early 2000s and while theres still alot of good stuff being put out its becoming fewer and farther between and hard to find/sort through.

Maybe its just because I like the sound of live instruments like bass and sampled records and drums ran through good outboard and things mixed on nice analog boards and in good studios, yet I think its great that anyone can make a decent recording for less than a grand nowadays.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict
And the things I've mentioned above-from the lack of substance in current stuff to having grown up listening to an amazing era with artists like 2PAC, Nas, Biggie, Jay-Z, Twista, etc. is what motivates me to start producing my own stuff and to make it better than what is currently out there and the best it can be and be the best I am capable of being with the skills and gear (and ears) I have been given.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrey View Post
I agree with every aspect of your post except for lumping Adele in with those other pop artists.
Musically I would agree with you. However, if you hop onto iTunes, and look her up she is categorized as "Pop" right along with the rest of them.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukas View Post
As long as you're making music you feeeel it's fine. I mean, you can't be pretending to be Soulja Boy at 27....

1st, Soulja Boy is not what most people here think when it comes to hip hop.
2nd, at Just lose it, nobody said that Eminem is too old to that.

what happened to you guys? you keep talking about "27" like it's "72"

you let Justin Bieber make you feel old.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah man 27 is not old. 28 is old as f*ck though.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Yeah man 27 is not old. 28 is old as f*ck though.
made me laugh
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Colonel Sanders did not start Kentucky Fried Chicken until he was 67...look at how he pimped it to riches

NEVER GIVE UP YOUR ON DREAMS PEOPLE!
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_eye_cee_e View Post
Pharrell is 40 or so now. I'm sure he got his break around your age. Besides, music has no age.
Exactly! Music has n0 age - HipH0p is seen mainly by the y0uger generati0n but that's the beauty 0f being a pr0ducer behind the sceens - HipHop 2me is the best because it's all music- meaning that u can take elements 4rm any genre and make it hip, ya dig!
I dndt find my true l0ve(making music) and my gift till I was 28, n0w I'm 31 but I was bless 2have a y0ung lo0k. Dnt matter what age U start cuz y0u fl like a kid in a candy st0re when 1st learning(Fresh)-n0 matter what age!
Old 16th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
I've got a track for Jay probably not as big as NY was lol but close!
Sup Danny! Jus lett'in U knw that I as well have a nice track 4JZ, Tw0 actually. The track isn't really 4him, I just place'd an avaiable [email protected] tyme,0n my track and it happened 2fit well. Plus I d0 [email protected] 0ther's wh0 I sh0w, a m0re understanding 0f my c0ncept.
I will display the track publicly after I mix it up in Sonar 4rm FL. I will sho0t y0u a PM sumtyme so0n, late!
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
Sup Danny! Jus lett'in U knw that I as well have a nice track 4JZ, Tw0 actually. The track isn't really 4him, I just place'd an avaiable [email protected] tyme,0n my track and it happened 2fit well. Plus I d0 [email protected] 0ther's wh0 I sh0w, a m0re understanding 0f my c0ncept.
I will display the track publicly after I mix it up in Sonar 4rm FL. I will sho0t y0u a PM sumtyme so0n, late!
sounds promising
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
sounds promising
love the replacement of o's with 0's that give it that icing-on-the-spam-cake
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Good Music is timeless period...I will be creating until I'm dead and I don't rap I just talk over boom bap...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search