The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rap Mixing & Recording Help + Templates + Songs For You To Listen For My Mixing Needs Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Rap Mixing & Recording Help + Templates + Songs For You To Listen For My Mixing Needs

First before I start, feel free to be a DICK and stomp all on my thread. lol + I'm pretty sure there is about HUNDREDS of these questions in this thread, but I thought it will be easier If a few people will reply directly to me.

I am a Producer / Engineer at my own home studio. I Engineer a few artists, and I'm pretty good at Mixing for being 18 (I Think), and learning all by hand. I know it takes years to MASTER MIXING.

I just have a few questions.

I am currently RECORDING a artists "Rap" mixtape, and I was trying to get some tips on Recording & Mastering to make everything as perfect as I can. I am currently using all "Stock" plugins - FAIL #1 I know - I will buy plugins when I can afford them soon.

--- How can I make a Vocal Track sound perfect? ---

I am using a Steinburg ST55 Mic w/ Pop Filter inside a garage, sort of sound treated, not quite.

I am recording into a M-Box Mini - 3rd Gen

I have the input at about 11:00 - (Towards The 11 Hand On The Clock)

I have a template I use - with Reverb / Delays already set up

I have a Compresser on each track - Preset is "Vocal Comp"
& I have a EQ on each track - Preset is "Smooth Vocal"

Does all this sound RIGHT or WRONG?

--- Do you guys have some template you can share with stock plugins, or will be able to take your time out of the day to put one together for me and show me how you use yours--- Really would appreciate that

---I am mixing all songs in Ultrasone HFI-550 headphones.---

I then take it out to the car, "Nissian Altima" with stock radio to hear how the mix sounds.

Basically I am trying to make my Vocals, NICE & CLEAR, CRISP, & Stand Out and make an impression, like it was recorded at a PROFFESIONAL STUDIO!

I also know each element of Comp / Rvrb / Dlys will be different on each vocal. - Can you give me settings (PRESETS) for a decent rap vocal that you hear in all these songs I will post.

Here are some links to some songs that I tried to put a mix to (ALL BEATS WERE PRODUCED BY ME & MY TEAM- If you like any of the production, let me know.) - Give me some FEEDBACK ON the mixing - I take all feedback well - even if your shooting them down, that makes me work harder to accomplish my goal.

WARNING!! Every song is going to be on a mixtape - SO IT HAS ALOT OF CUSSING! These are all for the street aha.

This is the song I need most feedback on 12:40AM Hulkshare.com 12_40 AM.mp3 is a track off the mixtape I am recording. This is also a Pre-Mix - Let me know what needs to be changed

Higher - Hulkshare.com Higher Feat. N8, Dip, & Laz Tha Boy.mp3
Land Of The Gold - Hulkshare.com Land Of Gold.mp3
How To Rock - Hulkshare.com How To Rock (PRE-MIXED).mp3

I really appreciate you all for taking your time READING & LISTENING to help me out. God Bless.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

I am not a "MASTER MIXER" but...

Quote:
using all "Stock" plugins - FAIL #1 I know - I will buy plugins when I can afford them soon.
Make the best out of what you have.. "Stock" plugins aren't all that bad.

Quote:
I have a template I use - with Reverb / Delays already set up

I have a Compresser on each track - Preset is "Vocal Comp"
& I have a EQ on each track - Preset is "Smooth Vocal"
Templates are a good guideline but they wont always work on every track. You should start with a template and then adjust it to suit the mix.

Quote:
---I am mixing all songs in Ultrasone HFI-550 headphones.---
Usually not the best idea to mix on headphones but as i said before, make the best of what you have.

Rap vocals are usually compressed at a 2:1 with a fast attack. If you want the vocals to be crisp and cut through the mix try boosting around 5k with a narrow Q and see how it sounds.

I didn't get a chance to listen to the mixes yet but i hope this was helpful

Good luck with those mixes
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrayb View Post
Rap vocals are usually compressed at a 2:1 with a fast attack. If you want the vocals to be crisp and cut through the mix try boosting around 5k with a narrow Q and see how it sounds.
Good luck with those mixes
please dont do that!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Downer View Post
please dont do that!
Why not?
Old 28th November 2011
Here for the gear

Hey man I would say If your using stock plug-ins this is pretty near perfect. Vocal wise the spread is good i would say try throwing some deep eq on your delays on the vocals so the delay dissipates better. Some vocal parts could have alittle volume automation done and main rap vocal in the chorus could be tighter to the beat. Seems a little slow compared to the singer IMO. Also the singer sounds alittle to cut off. Check your eq. Also the delay on the snare is to loud and goes to long, i would reverb it more and use less delay. Overall you did a great job, just little things. Keep in mind theres always something someone else might change, but at some point you gotta be satisfied with what you got
Old 28th November 2011
Gear Head

I'm not gonna lie, I did not have high expectations going in after reading the post. But I must say, I'm quite impressed with the chorus, I like her voice and what you did with it. That said, with what you have, you did a good job sonically. Maybe focus in a little on the main rap vocal, small tweaks. Down the road, vocalign would be a good investment too.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305 View Post
Why not?
Do we have to argue about why it's not good to simply say Ok compress at this ratio and then boost 5k!?!

Of course it could sound good or better than before but cmon man we both know that's not how youll learn mixing!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search