The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Compressors: best plugin for rap vocals Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yea I'm not sure if anyone will back the no comp idea, especially for rap, maybe on some female melodies you could minimalize a bit but only a certain voice will sit right without some comp.

I recorded a track for one of the Outlawz a little while back and he's prob the first person I've come across that barely needed any compression, I put it down to just good mic technique
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

We use a CL1B at Arrested Development's studio as well as a vintage 1176 to tape.

Both sound great depending on the song.

Also when I end up mixing I end up using the CLA blue stripe a lot, Waves L1, RComp & RVox too.

Sometimes I'll even use the iZotope Nectar too!

All good stuff....just depends on the vocalist and the song really.

Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
Thanks Rick , the UAD's I'm about to get, not favoring waves that much atm ant only use the PT standard for little tweaks.
I'd be interested to hear an example of a regular chain you use is ( obviously every voice differs but for examples sake say a male with a somewhat punchy & mid-low voice)
If you go UAD check out the 4k ssl channel strip. Very usefull for rap vocals, amoung other things. Uad la2a too.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

also look into using more than 1 compressor in series.
Pensado amongst many others recommends this: you have each compressor do a little bit & it sounds much better than 1 compressor doing a lot.

this week I tracked a rapper thru a pbc 6a knocking off around 3db & sdb & then used stillwell's major tom (i think around $25 & sounds great) set pretty agressively in the mix.
Old 14th January 2012
Here for the gear

1. IK Black 76
2. Softube FET
3. Waves RComp
4. Rocket

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search