The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5 things you always take into account Special Ef­fects Plugins
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

5 things you always take into account

hey all, I'm an amateur producer, long time reader first time poster, and I'm trying to soak in more information and tips without reading endless tutorials (i am reading tutorials for days) so i was thinking of good ways to get tips without coming out and asking for them.

when you start a beat, from the moment you fire up your MPC DAW or etc. to the moment you render it, what are the 5 biggest things that you always have in your mind when making a piece? could involve creative aspect, technical aspects, random ****, thanks in advance for all responses.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chwhite View Post
hey all, I'm an amateur producer, long time reader first time poster, and I'm trying to soak in more information and tips without reading endless tutorials (i am reading tutorials for days) so i was thinking of good ways to get tips without coming out and asking for them.

when you start a beat, from the moment you fire up your MPC DAW or etc. to the moment you render it, what are the 5 biggest things that you always have in your mind when making a piece? could involve creative aspect, technical aspects, random ****, thanks in advance for all responses.
5 possible things I might think about when making a piece:

1) This needs to be a hit!

2) I'm hungry!

3) I can't wait to get outta here so I can spend some time with the gf/family.

4) Who's calling me while I'm in the middle of making this beat?

5) Gotta focus on finishing this beat.

Honestly, the less your mind has to think about anything, the more time it will have to just chill out and allow you to vibe.

The 5 biggest things I may have on my mind if anything, are usually never related to the beat I'm making. The only time I ever start thinking about what I'm doing is when I find myself stuck or in a rut; in which I may resort to writing and planning out my melodies and chord progressions before actually playing each part down.

Skip the tutorials and questions... Just start producing. When you hit a road block you actually need help with, you will know what questions to ask, and those questions won't be bitched at because they will come across as being legit.

You can study all you want, but it's not until you actually start applying things to your work, that you will find out which areas you lack in and need more understanding for.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

1) melody
2) drums
3) progression
4) EQ
5) drums
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sample Based:
1st- Take the time to find a really great sample. No matter if you are looping or chopping, the better the original fits what you are trying to achieve, the better the sampled version will sound

Non Sampled:
1st-Warm up. Both mentally and physically. I usually listen to some inspiring music (rarely hip hop) and also play around on the keys, go through sound patches, etc. Develop ideas, even if I don't stick with them to build a foundation.

Really, that's the only "critical" step. After that it would be 2nd-build up melody, 3rd Lay down drums, 4th, Arrange, 5th-mix.

All I need is the first step to go right, then everything is very natural. I don't really think after that, I just continue from the foundation and move forward until I feel I am done. That may also be a critical step, deciding when you are done and not over doing it.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

turn off all cell phones
turn off the hvac
disable the doorbell
unplug the refrigerator
put the cat out
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

interesting, never thought about something like this...

5 things? i can't think of more then one thing without the thought of women/girls popping up everywhere... so i guess at least half of them to 5 would be thoughts like that, am i making love to her today or am i hardcore f'ing her today or just teasing her or treating her sensually or punishing her or is she controlling me or am i controlling her, perhaps it's a menage a trois or more or are we at the alter or just broke up or you get the idea...

as far as 1 specific thought all the time and this would be the only consistent one, to properly articulate my mood and emotion into the sound and energy of the music in question, that is about it, well that and all that other stuff...

Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Not so much a rule but something I remind myself of before I start...

Enjoy it!
Feel it!
Make it happen!
Make and stick by your decisions, and
Learn from it!

seriously, this wonderful world of mixing teaches me something new with every mix...and I dont think I would feel right if it didn't!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

no order;

how long since I have smoked
Do these drums knock
When will I smoke again
Do these drums knock
Composition & Arrangement
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

1. This is kinda good
2. Is this good?
3. Yea im in the zone, keep adding.
4. Ok i'm not sure if im feeling that last sound I added, Let me stop the beat and work on another (New/Unfinished) beat.
5. Starts next beat.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thats tough. It really varies for me. But
1.) what kind of track do i want to make and what sounds/sound design is needed to get me there?
2.)most effective, and if possible, most efficient way to get the track done or get down what I hear in my head.
3.) making sure the beat and melody compliment eachother and they sound good just by themselves. Also, who would sound good on this track?
4.) is this worth anymore of my time? Is it going anywhere? And usually if I have to ask myself that question it's not or the melody and/or drums need to be completely redone.
5.)bussing, eq, comp, reverb
6.) arrangement.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't Think This is a Productive Question

I clicked on this thread because the title implies someone is giving advice/offering insight, etc.

As for the question, I don't think it's productive because it implies a formula for creating music and I don't think there is one. I don't see how having a checklist is going to help you make better music.

Aside from following the same steps for firing up the gear, there is no roadmap, IMHO.

Most people start with either drums or melody. That's simply some sort of foundation upon which to continue building.

if you want to get better, then make a lot of music and also listen to a lot. Making music will obviously improve your production chops. And listening to a lot of music will expose you to more influences and possible ideas. The more diverse your palette, the greater potential to make something really interesting.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

1) How long does it take for those damn Lava Lamps to heat up?!
2) Hmmm
3) I want to play with those drum layers I was messing with the other day
4) Oh wait.. I have a melody that I have to lay down right now! Hit the keys
5) ..... cmon lava lamps......
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I repeat this montra several times a minute while making beats "Don't be wack, Don't be wack, Dear God please don't let this be.... oh wait this is wack as.... oh well someone on soundclick will buy it. export. on to the next one (repeat)"
Old 12th September 2011
wreckingstuff
Five things I think about while writing beats,

Levels - I don't want any clipping, in a recording, on a channel, in a plugin etc.

Stereo Image - Is there anything weird going on? Do I need to convert any stereo samples to mono? Does the 2buss sound correct when I check it in mono?

Event Timing - Am I just making patterns on a screen, or am I developing an exciting, emotive and evolving piece of music? Most of the producers I admire were/are also skillful DJ's, probably not a coincidence, I try to think like a DJ when Arranging sounds.

Frequency - Am I working across the entire frequency range, or am I jamming lots of similarly positioned sounds together? Do I have any channels with unnecessary hi's or lo's that could be filtered out to make more space?

Rappability - Would the kind of rhymers I like to listen to sound good over this noise I am making.

Honeyberry Backwoods - I need a humidifier in here, I swear these are drying out before I even get them open.

Wait that's six.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

I doubt I have the level of experience many of you have, but I did enjoy the question so I thought I'd chime in.

1. Be natural and open in the formation of ideas. Don't force it, but don't succumb to the "not feeling inspired" line of thought either.

2. Make sure the instruments "speak" to each other. I do my best not to throw in layers for the sake of throwing in layers.

3. Be unafraid to have multiple versions of a section or entire song. Comparing ideas or mixes, as well as making fairly drastic changes to a track, can be the difference between good and great for me. Working in this way also makes it so that I never feel nervous about going backwards in my process, which ultimately leads to more openness and creativity.

4. Admit defeat. If you need help on a track, get it. Whether it's advice on a mix or a fresh idea from another musician, your track and your skill level will benefit from it.

5. Keep the steps simple. Don't get overwhelmed with more than you can handle. I'm not a pro engineer yet so it's easy to feel daunted when a mix isn't coming out how I want. Turning it into "just get the guitar and the piano to play nice together first" makes it much more reasonable. Your steps naturally get bigger as you gain the skill for it.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

1) This needs to be a hit!

2) I'm hungry!

3) I wish I had a Girlfriend

4) how can I change it up in the chorus while maintaining a smooth transition.

5) Gotta focus on finishing this beat.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

good responses all, i wasn't looking for instruction so much as what everyone else thinks about when starting a project.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aproblem View Post
no order;

how long since I have smoked
Do these drums knock
When will I smoke again
Do these drums knock
Composition & Arrangement
hahaa this! lol
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search