The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to: Rick Ross-9 piece bass drum? Enhancer Plugins
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

How to: Rick Ross-9 piece bass drum?

Ive been trying everything to recreate this bd sound. However my bd always ends up sounding way to low (frequencies not volume).

Can someone please tell me how to achieve this type of 808 bd??

Thank you
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Carefully choose the pitch of the sample, and of course get a good, punchy sample. Consider using something else than the 808 for the attack of the kick, but if you do, roll off the attack on the 808.

EQ the lower mids very carefully. I like doing this on the ns10s. Usually its not very extreme settings that are needed, just some attention between the upper bass area and the lower mid. The API 550b has a nice 240 Hz boost, if you have that (plugin works), see if you like what that gives you.. and then some surgical cuts. I use the Sonnox EQ for that but use whatever you got, its not a difference maker.

The most important thing imo is how you force the other elements to make room for the kick to punch through. EQ and levels are crucial, and simply having the kick really loud often works wonders.

GL!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand View Post
Ive been trying everything to recreate this bd sound. However my bd always ends up sounding way to low (frequencies not volume).

Can someone please tell me how to achieve this type of 808 bd??

Thank you
here you go
Attached Files

808 Kick Loop_NP.wav (4.59 MB, 13147 views)

Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's the 808
Attached Files

Shawty Redd 808.wav (296.2 KB, 15259 views)

Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey guys thanks a lot for the replies. I wasn't expecting it so quick! Good thing I finally decided to join this forum.

I read your posts and listened to the samples and unfortunately I must say that its not even close to what I hear in 9 piece. The bd sounds like a 808 combined with multiple sine waves.

Ive tried to technique but it doesn't sounds half as good as what i hear in the track. :(
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

uhh trust me lex luger is not doing no complex basedrum /sine **** dude just added in an 808.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Maybe you need try not only try, but try and try again.. I didn't say it was easy, just said how I go about it. There are no magic bullets, ain't that how the saying goes?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLowkey View Post
uhh trust me lex luger is not doing no complex basedrum /sine **** dude just added in an 808.

He said on his ustream he got his 808 from the real rap talk forum shawty redd kit. Thats what I just posted.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmondA View Post
Here's the 808
Thats the one. Cha ching
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Here's the 808
Old 2nd December 2013
Gear Head
U have to turn things down that are not as important as the 808. I usually use a real punchy kick and put an 808 behind it with rbass. I use rbass everytime on an 808. Hope that helps u.
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Here's the 808
wow thats rly it!
Old 21st January 2014
Gear Maniac

What is this song really about?

On the surface it looks like it was commisioned by some cointelpro type organization to feed more bodies (urban youth) into the industrial prison complex. That would mean Ross is working for the Feds.

I'm guessing sellind dope on an an iPhone is a metaphor for soemthing that will not immediately make these activites exponentially more traceable, thus sending that party straight to prison when caught? I must be getting old... and though I haven't listened to the song more than twice, Ross' verses make no sense. Is the next big record going to tell people to engage in illicit activites via email? SMH

This HAS to mean something else. School me. I dont feel like looking into it or listening to the song again. .
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosmusic View Post
What is this song really about?

On the surface it looks like it was commisioned by some cointelpro type organization to feed more bodies (urban youth) into the industrial prison complex. That would mean Ross is working for the Feds.

I'm guessing sellind dope on an an iPhone is a metaphor for soemthing that will not immediately make these activites exponentially more traceable, thus sending that party straight to prison when caught? I must be getting old... and though I haven't listened to the song more than twice, Ross' verses make no sense. Is the next big record going to tell people to engage in illicit activites via email? SMH

This HAS to mean something else. School me. I dont feel like looking into it or listening to the song again. .
Haha amazing post. I agree with you 100%. Ridiculous lyrics made to dumb down kids and feed them to prisons. I absolutely agree.

However I couldn't care less for his stupid lyrics. I just want to get that 808 sound.
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Maniac

I feel you. Selling dope over an iPhone though lol. Why not just sell it in the parking lot of the police station?

The 808 has a lot of upper harmonics like the Shawty Redd one. It should be easy to find. A kick layered on it. HPF on the hats. The snares sounds pretty common. Any trap kit that came out in the last yr should have these sounds.
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I feel you. Selling dope over an iPhone though lol. Why not just sell it in the parking lot of the police station?

The 808 has a lot of upper harmonics like the Shawty Redd one. It should be easy to find. A kick layered on it. HPF on the hats. The snares sounds pretty common. Any trap kit that came out in the last yr should have these sounds.
Yeah I've been getting better at it since I first posted this Thread. Getting better monitors really changed the world for me.
Old 5th February 2014
Gear Maniac

That's what's up. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 5th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's what's up. Glad you got it sorted out.
I think your comment about upper harmonics is exactly what a noob needs to know.

I initially tought "holy crap there must be a 20db bump in the 50hz-100hz. What a mistake. It's way more about 100hz-300hz that the extremely low frequencies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search