The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp and Mic Questions for HipHop Producers Single-Channel Preamps
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Preamp and Mic Questions for HipHop Producers

Hey guys, this is my first post, im hoping some of you can help me out. I have a project studio in my home that i have been recording hiphop here for about 4 months and its going great. About 4 months ago i ugraded from pro tools 8 to 9, which enabled me to use a non digidesign peice of hardware, so i chose the makie onyx 820i. i loveeee it, but i think im ready to move on to a couple of higher quality additions.

I have my heart set on a TLM 103, but im having some difficulty picking a preamp. in my searching i have seen many positive reviews for the blue robbie. Other contenders are the True Systems P-Solo, grace designs m101, the universal audio solo/610, and the great river ME-1NV.

I would appreciate any and all insight into these preamps. thanks guys.
Old 10th September 2011
The info and opinions on these preamps are already here. Just do a forum search, or search google using the preamp name along with "gearslutz."
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 View Post
The info and opinions on these preamps are already here. Just do a forum search, or search google using the preamp name along with "gearslutz."
+1 on that !!!
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Think outside the box...

There are manufacturers out there that offer better products for a comparable price or less. Advanced Audio Microphones ( http:/www.aamicrophones.com/ ) is one of them. Your courage to invest into something other than what The Joneses are raving about will be amply rewarded. Just read reviews and decide yourself.
Same for the preamp.
Old 23rd September 2011
Here for the gear

i think what jimhart89 is looking for is not what the joneses say is good but whats good for RAP/HIPHOP. Some stuff is great but has certain characters. like i love the la 610 but for agressive vocals i wouldnt reccomend it. just an example
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Addict

Shure SM7B mic & GAP 73 preamp. They run about $250 a piece
Old 24th September 2011
Here for the gear

I was really dissapointed with the TLM-103 on my last recording session for male rap. It was thin and I found even though it did give me presence, it wasnt in a nice area. I know that reviews of this mic say it should sound warm and full but I found It to be the opposite in this instance. Ended up using a sennheiser MK4 through an AMEK pure path.
Old 24th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevgees View Post
Shure SM7B mic & GAP 73 preamp. They run about $250 a piece
Wow, really? What an idiotic response...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztjangle View Post
There are manufacturers out there that offer better products for a comparable price or less. Advanced Audio Microphones ( http:/www.aamicrophones.com/ ) is one of them. Your courage to invest into something other than what The Joneses are raving about will be amply rewarded. Just read reviews and decide yourself.
Same for the preamp.
And why is an AA mic better than a TLM-103? Please explain? I REALLY WANNA KNOW?!

Because I've tried and tested Neumann classic mics and the TLM-103 was the mic I used on 60-70 percent of my records (that are yet to be released heh). So please tell me how an AA mic is "better"?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austria View Post
I was really dissapointed with the TLM-103 on my last recording session for male rap. It was thin and I found even though it did give me presence, it wasnt in a nice area. I know that reviews of this mic say it should sound warm and full but I found It to be the opposite in this instance. Ended up using a sennheiser MK4 through an AMEK pure path.
This is a more reasonable reply.... replies like this are great, but still gotta take them with a grain of salt.

To the OP, I like the Greatriver and the DAV BG-1 with the TLM-103. I think the Grace 101 and the P.Solo in combination with the TLM-103 will in my opinion be too thin a sound. The DAV gives it a nice round character with out any mud and the Greatriver can really add some grit if you hit the transformers pretty well. It's like there is a deeper tone that wasn't actually there

The UA is ok, but it's a very unique kind of sound and on some things just doesn't work.

Hope you find what your hoping to get!!

Last edited by mista min; 24th September 2011 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: really felt like I made no sense on part of my post... hahaha
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dude do yourself a favor and don't buy the 103. For a couple hundred more you can pick up a Pearlman TM-1 . As far as the true systems p-solo I had it with the TLM 103 . Was very harsh in my opinion. The great river will suit you well though with the Pearlman. All the best

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search