The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Next instrument to buy.. Omnisphere? Fantom Rack? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Next instrument to buy.. Omnisphere? Fantom Rack?

Genre: Pop and Rnb music
Already Own: Komplete 7, Maschine, Gladiator, Albino, M-Tron, XP-30

Just wondering what you would do... I can get a second hand Fantom XR or Motif for about the same price as Omnisphere. I am looking for good presets with easy tweakability. My production style is similar to Tricky and The Dream camp. I like Gladiator but I have used too many of the sounds. I was also thinking about Electra X. I will probably end up with all of these at some point. What would you choose?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

hi...i have the fantom xr and i find it a bit dull...and it really needs tweaking and EQ and editing...but i love the editor so thats fine.
Very powerfull but frustrating without the editor for sure.
so you definately need a spare USB port available.
Most likely...i would not buy one again...but i am fond of it.
just my 2 cents!
scruffydog
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
For what you are doing I would think omni would be better if for no other reason then everything syncs up to your sessions so easily (eg's, arps, lfo's). Omnisphere is incredibly powerful, you can do just about any synth sound with it and a whole lot more.

That said it also sounds like it might be time for you to dive into building your own patches a little more.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fantom (or motif). You got enough software, I don't think a new program is going to sound that much different than what you already have. You need some external instruments to add some different sonic character, get a real synth.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

maybe i should just use what i have then... tbh i really want a moog voyager but i might settle for a little phatty to hold me over.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

i would say get omnisphere over a fantom but i would also say get a virus ti2 over omnisphere
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Virus TI and Omnisphere are two so different products.. So many people underestimate what Omnisphere can do, it's an incredible synth. The combination of synths and samples is awesome, it has a zillion synth-options, all the routing is very flexible and intuitive and it constantly has new stuff added (e.g. the Orb feature, the Waveshaper tool improvements). Try it out and really give it some time before you dismiss it, it has cool presets, but that's only a small fraction of what it can do for you..
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

had the fantom, not crazy about it, my vx3080 sounds better and i still use it.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Gundersen View Post
Virus TI and Omnisphere are two so different products.. So many people underestimate what Omnisphere can do, it's an incredible synth. The combination of synths and samples is awesome, it has a zillion synth-options, all the routing is very flexible and intuitive and it constantly has new stuff added (e.g. the Orb feature, the Waveshaper tool improvements). Try it out and really give it some time before you dismiss it, it has cool presets, but that's only a small fraction of what it can do for you..
+1, omni can do a lot of things other synths can't. Alchemy is really the only thing close with the EG's like that.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

surprised to hear so many negative comments about the fantom. i guess its time to dl a trial of omni is there is one.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkung View Post
surprised to hear so many negative comments about the fantom. i guess its time to dl a trial of omni is there is one.
the fantom is a cool rompler, but if all you need is a synth, there are better synths for the price. Why not get an analog synth like a little phatty or mopho?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search