The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Running samples through a preamp Single-Channel Preamps
Old 9th September 2011
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Running samples through a preamp

I'm sampling with Maschine and of course my samples sound just like my interface and very clean. I run my turntable out of the line outs and into my Audio Kontrol 1. Would running my samples through a preamp before they hit the interface color the sound at all? I am hoping to get a bit more analog sound reminiscent of older samplers. Would a preamp be good for this or is that a waste of time? I looked online at the ART Tube Pre 3, the M-Audio DMP3 and the Golden Age Pre 73. Are any of these good choices? Unfortunately I don't have money to spend on an expensive one. Are there other things that would be better?
Old 9th September 2011
  #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
I'm sampling with Maschine and of course my samples sound just like my interface and very clean. I run my turntable out of the line outs and into my Audio Kontrol 1. Would running my samples through a preamp before they hit the interface color the sound at all? I am hoping to get a bit more analog sound reminiscent of older samplers. Would a preamp be good for this or is that a waste of time? I looked online at the ART Tube Pre 3, the M-Audio DMP3 and the Golden Age Pre 73. Are any of these good choices? Unfortunately I don't have money to spend on an expensive one. Are there other things that would be better?
Yes definitely, if the preamp has transformers etc, it would certainly color the sound. Especially the GAP Pre. The DMP3 is rather clean so I don't think you'd hear as much of a difference. That being said. The Blue Robbie I had, even if it was "clean" sounding, would give more low end thump to any sound while brushing off harsh high end frequencies.

Don't forget distortion boxes, effects boxes etc. Those can work wonders too.
Old 9th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
I run my turntable out of the line outs and into my Audio Kontrol 1. ...

I am hoping to get a bit more analog sound reminiscent of older samplers.
I don't think the older samplers sound more "analog". Your samples should sound plenty analog to begin with, I mean, a clean recording off a TURNTABLE, that's about as analog as you can get.

Yes a preamp with a transformer etc. will likely color the sound some. But I'm not sure if that's what you want. All those old samples were played and recorded onto analog tape. So tracking through a running three head tape machine and monitoring off the play head would be a bulky option. A tape emulation plugin is a much easier (albeit less authentic) and more flexible option. The other issue is just that those samplers of yesteryear were anything but accurate. So things like doing bit reduction (ie. 12 bits, et. al.) and adding brick-wall type filters via plugins will get you closer.

But in my opinion, a transformer based preamp isn't going to get you closer to that sound of older samplers. None of those machines had decent electronics, and certainly not transformers (or tubes).
Old 9th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 

I will just add to whats been said,you never know what could add some magic (yes magic)to your sounds and its a good idea to experiment with all methods,ie outboard and inboad techniques.Sometimes youl find a sweet spot somewhere like an old spring reverb or a classic one -sp303 vinyl effect(crackly compression effect!!!)Interesting reading is the biography of Joe Meek.Filters,eq,compression and resampling can add some interest here.Old samplers including 16 bit will also add interest as you can witness in the history of electronic music.A good mixer wil help you control the sound: ] edit-if your just talking vinyl samples eq can do wonders....
Old 11th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 

What about the Maschine emulations for some spice?

Preamps are not going to do as much as you speculate they will. Even with proper use, I doubt it will be the sound you are "expecting". However, I do have a "secret weapon" tube preamp that I use for some coloration for synths and live instruments, that I want to sound more like vinyl. The preamp is actually broken technically, but it produces a glorious sound that to my ears, is the best turntable emulation I have ever heard in my life.

I also have the neves, api's of the world like others, but I find that they dont bring anything to the table that I associate specifically with "old samplers".


When I want my stuff to sound like the older samplers, I fire up one of my older samplers and sample direclty into it. Then I either use that sampler to make music, or put the smaple "in the box". I have various samplers for this task from Emu, Akai, Roland, Casio, etc.

Cheapest options, use the emulations in Maschine. (Far better than nothng)
Buy a used S900/S950 or something. (adds about a minute to your upfront workflow)
A decent preamp useful for any good coloration, will cost you more than several older samplers.

Or to consolidate two of your threads... Buy a MPC60 w/scsi and 3.10 os. Now you have the hardware MPC you seek, and an old sampler. Use the compression on the 60 to get some nasty sounding stuff happening. They go pretty cheap these days, relative to when I bought mine, and are right around the price of a decent preamp.
Old 11th September 2011
  #6
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
When I want my stuff to sound like the older samplers, I fire up one of my older samplers and sample direclty into it. Then I either use that sampler to make music, or put the smaple "in the box". I have various samplers for this task from Emu, Akai, Roland, Casio, etc.

Cheapest options, use the emulations in Maschine. (Far better than nothng)
Buy a used S900/S950 or something. (adds about a minute to your upfront workflow)
A decent preamp useful for any good coloration, will cost you more than several older samplers.

Or to consolidate two of your threads... Buy a MPC60 w/scsi and 3.10 os. Now you have the hardware MPC you seek, and an old sampler. Use the compression on the 60 to get some nasty sounding stuff happening. They go pretty cheap these days, relative to when I bought mine, and are right around the price of a decent preamp.
Thanks! That is great advice. I had thought about the older sampler but the 60 or S950 is a great idea. I think I threw out preamp to avoid buy another sampler since I have Maschine but I think if the sound of an older sampler is what I'm looking for then that's what I'm gonna have to buy. I've tried the emulations and they just don't seem to do it for me. Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 11th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

I personally don't see the need to use anything like a preamp, other's will disagree. I do tend to use my mixer eq's before it hits my converters and I like the results I get. Occasionally I have run samples through my ASR 10 but I usually don't anymore for a good reason. My preamp just sounds clean and louder or dirty (GAP 73), not really good or bad if I get the sound I like, bad if I don't. Not something I would deal with for sampling.

Honestly, I find most of the "sound" of my hardware samplers to be much more about how I chop my samples and arrange things than the actual sound of them. Yes, they have a slightly different tone but it's really a user thing for me, not anything technical. If I want something to sound old, I use my MPC, ASR 10, or both as I chop differently, chop less, and arrange differently. That's where the "magic" is, but I am over that sound.
Old 12th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
sd-cd's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Occasionally I have run samples through my ASR 10 but I usually don't anymore for a good reason.
What's this reason? Thanks.
Old 12th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
I personally don't see the need to use anything like a preamp, other's will disagree. I do tend to use my mixer eq's before it hits my converters and I like the results I get.
your mixer probably has a preamp.
Old 12th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 
3rd Degree's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
What's this reason? Thanks.
I personally don't like the sound over my interface. It is more colored as well as less detailed. Pair that with 2 A/D and 2 D/A conversions and it sounds more "dull" than I would like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thysta View Post
your mixer probably has a preamp.
My mixer has 20 preamps but I don't use them.
Old 13th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
illacov's Avatar
 

Running your sounds thru a preamp may not make it sound like viny but it can make them sound BETTER.

One thing that's nice about running a good deal of your sounds thru one specific piece is that they all take on that device's characteristics.

If you need some midrange accentuation and high end smoothness blah blah blah from whatever preamp does that then running your sounds thru that preamp (like every instance of sound) will possibly make your mix fall together more.

Especially if you drive the trannies a bit and that helps to impart some juice upon thy sounds.

Peace
Illumination
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump