The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it worth it to buy an MPC if I have Maschine already? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Is it worth it to buy an MPC if I have Maschine already?

I've had Maschine for some time and really enjoy it but I miss using hardware and being away from the computer. I have thought about getting either an MPC 2000XL with a card reader or a 1000. I can get either one for about $400. With having Maschine is it worth it to pick up an MPC or would I just be stepping backwards? I don't want it to just take up space. Also, which would be the better MPC choice? I like the 2000XL but didn't know if I would be missing out on features. The pads seem better. Lastly, if there a difference in sound in the two MPCs? I know there is for the older ones but wasn't sure about the 2000XL.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Please not again.. Not another one of these

Do a search fam..It's really personal preference...get both and make a decision. All this is going to do is start a Maschine vs MPC thread and there's like 3 going on in this forum as I type.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Sorry, I damn sure don't want to start another competition thread. I'm just looking for a little advice going not to make a purchase that might be wasted money.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

U run through a lot of gear my dude. Pick something and settle down. Maschine is a step in the right direction
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannas View Post
...but I miss using hardware and being away from the computer....
Dude....
Is there ANYTHING about this decision that has not already been answered by you? How are WE supposed to tell you if something is worth it to YOU? If you want it... get it. You would not be the first person to do so. Many people go back and forthe between using a midi interface, and hardware, for the exact same reason you stated. Thus they have both.

Some do not take this approach and use one device. Its up to you.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest View Post
U run through a lot of gear my dude. Pick something and settle down. Maschine is a step in the right direction
I know. I think after I get comfortable I feel the need to move on to conquer something new rather than just staying with what I know. I also get tired of staring at a computer all the time though. I thought going all software would be great and it is definitely powerful but at times I miss just being in the zone with hardware.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have both as Maschine is not an MPC replacement imo.

I'd go for a 1000/2500 JJOS over the 2000XL tbh.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Isn't the whole point of maschine is for you to be able to not depend on a computer screen (using controller's layout and LCDs).

If you want to get away from the computer I would suggest just getting a long USB extension cable or even a wireless USB hub. That's much cheaper and more time effective than buying new gear, transferring sounds, mapping new drum kits, and getting comfortable with a different workflow.

Pick one thing, stick with it and make some music.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

maybe the beat thang is for you?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

To be honest more people rock both than you are probably aware of. Everybody except one person in my circle has a mpc + some sort of USB pad. Sometimes you feel like working on a computer and many times you don't. Nothing wrong with having both. Having both may curb your gear lust. I also agree with the 1000/2500 jjos. its a different breed.

The OP may have discovered that you can't do everything via the Maschine controller. Not yet anyway. I hope this changes.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
The OP may have discovered that you can't do everything via the Maschine controller. Not yet anyway. I hope this changes.
There are some obvious things that makes more sense to use the computer for such as drag and drop, importing/tagging sounds, naming projects...etc. but everything else can indeed be done from just the Maschine hardware without looking at the computer screen.

+1 on using a long/extension USB cable.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know. I think after I get comfortable I feel the need to move on to conquer something new rather than just staying with what I know. I also get tired of staring at a computer all the time though. I thought going all software would be great and it is definitely powerful but at times I miss just being in the zone with hardware.
if you need to conquer something, try making a hit record. that would be quite a conquest.

to me, it's all about staying with what works, as far as workflow goes.

I think doing something just for the sake of doing it, especially when it will cost money and the time to learn it, is a step backward.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

NO!!!!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just So You know...

There have been countless threads on this same subject. Some folks get tired of seeing the same question again and again, especially when there's never any clear resolution. Some like Maschine/software and others prefer the MPC. A few folks use both. Anyway, that's why some of the answers are a bit caustic.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak View Post
I have both as Maschine is not an MPC replacement imo.

I'd go for a 1000/2500 JJOS over the 2000XL tbh.
Thanks! I appreciate that. That's what I am looking for. Not a replacement but a different option to step away from the computer screen sometimes.

Quote:
To be honest more people rock both than you are probably aware of. Everybody except one person in my circle has a mpc + some sort of USB pad. Sometimes you feel like working on a computer and many times you don't. Nothing wrong with having both. Having both may curb your gear lust. I also agree with the 1000/2500 jjos. its a different breed.

Exactly! It would be nice if that were the case but it's not completely possible yet. Sometimes it doesn't matter to me and other times it's annoying. I also feel like I've been more creative with hardware too. Something about the computer (well really me), I don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
There have been countless threads on this same subject. Some folks get tired of seeing the same question again and again, especially when there's never any clear resolution. Some like Maschine/software and others prefer the MPC. A few folks use both. Anyway, that's why some of the answers are a bit caustic.
That's definitely understanding. I expected nothing less though. I'm not looking for someone to tell me what to do, just advice from others who have been in the same boat with either moving from one to the other, having both, etc. that might be useful.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

even though this has been talked about to death, ill give you my opinion. i think maschine is an mpc x 1000 with all the things it can do and how quick you can do them, but.......i think it comes down to sound, does the the mpc sound better than maschine? dont know if this will ever be answered. some people yes, some people no. i can see where they are taking maschine and i like it, that being said, the ni stuff does have a sound, good or bad??????i actually use battery/logic/ and a an mpd and im happy. i actually think the mpc sounds a little better, but just the drag and drop of samples is enough for me to switch. so, if i had maschine, i woudnt get an mpc, but thats just me. then again, if money is not an issue, then id jump on one of those custom 2500's from novamuzic and get the jjos.....im mean this is gearslutz........ i might actually get maschine, i like the idea of being able to do everything in standalone mode, only thing is i use alot of the logic instruments so we will see. good luck.....
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Heres what you do. Lock yourself in a room with no access to electronics and no outside communication for 3 weeks, you'll start hearing voices in your head but dont be alarmed just keep doing what you do.

Come back to your studio 3 weeks later and you'll realize that none of that BS matters but you'll just be glad to be making music again no matter what you have.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

no.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

gotta catch em all
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

simple solution, get the mpc, decide which one you like better and sell the other. If you like both and can afford, keep both.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

I could care less what others are using, how Dre gets his drums to bang or what synth so and so uses. There is no magic box or software, learn your piece and work it. Don't let others influence you into spending your money. I have a VS-2480, a MPC 4000 and I will ride them till the wheels fall off. The computer I use to go online with is my wifes and hopefully I will not need one for awhile. I know I live in the past with the gear I have but, I put in my time and learned them. You're the boss so save your money because times are tough on everyone these days.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp12adam View Post
I have a VS-2480, a MPC 4000 and I will ride them till the wheels fall off. The computer I use to go online with is my wifes and hopefully I will not need one for awhile.
I love both sentences/statements. Love them!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfguard View Post
even though this has been talked about to death, ill give you my opinion. i think maschine is an mpc x 1000 with all the things it can do and how quick you can do them, but.......i think it comes down to sound, does the the mpc sound better than maschine? dont know if this will ever be answered. some people yes, some people no. i can see where they are taking maschine and i like it, that being said, the ni stuff does have a sound, good or bad??????i actually use battery/logic/ and a an mpd and im happy. i actually think the mpc sounds a little better, but just the drag and drop of samples is enough for me to switch. so, if i had maschine, i woudnt get an mpc, but thats just me. then again, if money is not an issue, then id jump on one of those custom 2500's from novamuzic and get the jjos.....im mean this is gearslutz........ i might actually get maschine, i like the idea of being able to do everything in standalone mode, only thing is i use alot of the logic instruments so we will see. good luck.....
Thanks. I appreciate it.

It's funny to me that I've seen people on here with multiple MPCs and others with tons of overlapping equipment but the thought of me having Maschine and looking to get an MPC in addition to step away from the computer seems to set off an uproar.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate it.

It's funny to me that I've seen people on here with multiple MPCs and others with tons of overlapping equipment but the thought of me having Maschine and looking to get an MPC in addition to step away from the computer seems to set off an uproar.
Its because some people swar they have seen this exact post at least 57 times a week. I personally do not log on enough, to have noticed, but.. that seems to be the sentiment. Its not so much that they agree/disagree with the idea.... but they seem to be tired of answering the same question over and over and over and over... When in FACT its your decision and yours only. None of us can lend any help to you in this situation based on your question. There are questions in the same vien that you could have asked that would have probably caused less moaning. Its like you said this...

I have a car that I drive to work every day, and I like it. Sometimes I want to drive a truck. I really like trucks, and they are useful for other things at times. (moving dead bodies, after I have killed everyone in my song, or transporting all the drugs, I claim to sell in my music. Transporting cases of champainge, dollar bills to make it rain etc) Should I just drive the car then? Would it be okay to have a car and a truck? Is it worth it to have a truck, if I already have a car? Please help!

The most valid answer in this case is: "Mutha###ka, I dont know, what is worth it to YOU!"

The fact thtat this type of question appears to be asked often, I think is the real issue people have with it though.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

And here's a fun thought

"I miss hardware..."
How? You have a maschine it is hardware. If you miss hardware then use your maschine more.

"...and get away from the computer..."
The mpc is a computer. If you want to get away from computers don't get an mpc, get a drum kit.

Isn't reality weird?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Its because some people swar they have seen this exact post at least 57 times a week. I personally do not log on enough, to have noticed, but.. that seems to be the sentiment. Its not so much that they agree/disagree with the idea.... but they seem to be tired of answering the same question over and over and over and over... When in FACT its your decision and yours only. None of us can lend any help to you in this situation based on your question. There are questions in the same vien that you could have asked that would have probably caused less moaning. Its like you said this...

The fact thtat this type of question appears to be asked often, I think is the real issue people have with it though.
I have no problem with that fact that it's been asked a lot before. I get that, but when I searched through everything similar the same **** happened. There was no real advice. So it wasn't like people had given advice before and now they're tired of it. I appreciate your help. Maybe I should have asked it differently. I also figured since I'd been around for a while and not brand new and always try to be helpful and not act like a 12 year old they're might be less childishness. Guess my expectations were too high. Seems like I'm still on FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
And here's a fun thought

"I miss hardware..."
How? You have a maschine it is hardware. If you miss hardware then use your maschine more.
If it could do everything from the hardware and not have to touch the mouse at all and be disconnected from the computer that would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray View Post
"...and get away from the computer..."
The mpc is a computer. If you want to get away from computers don't get an mpc, get a drum kit.

Isn't reality weird?
I'm not going to argue semantics with you. You know what I mean. Quit trolling.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nope.

That's what I'm trying to say: I don't know why you think that way. I think that the hardware vs software debate is filled w misinterpratations. You aren't the first...

You wanted advice. You just didn't like mine.

May I ask?: Besides initializing the program, which functions can you not perform w the maschine interface that you can w an mpc? Likewise, what's the benefit of not using a mouse? It's a great tool.

This is where me and those of your mindset are perhaps the most different. I've literally never been bothered by a computer screen or a mouse being involved in making music. In fact, I have wished for larger displays, qwerty keyboards, and faster processors while using standalone gear. Do some peices of standalone gear have advantages over maschine? Sure! But not having a feature doesn't seem like an advantage to me. Fair?

I agree w the post saying to buy a used one and resale at similar or same price... But personally I'd just skip it.

Is that sufficiently less trolly?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search