The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Nanopad2 or MPD 18 Drum Pad Controllers
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Nanopad2 or MPD 18

Hi,

I recently got a nanopad second hand but it had the problem where the xy pad worked but the pads didn't. I've managed to take that back and get refunded so now I'm just gonna buy new. I've been looking at the nanopad 2 and the mpd18. Both seem to be suited to my needs, I like the xy pad and the feel of the pads on the nano but I haven't tried the nano 2 or the Akai. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on either of these controllers or offer any alternatives?

Thanks for your time.....
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nanopad2 or MPD 18

I have owned a nanopad1, a padkontrol, a triggerfinger, a mpd32, and a maschine.

Tactile response I would rank them as follows:

1) maschine
2) padkontrol
3) nanopad
4) triggerfinger
5) mpd 32

However the nanopad's pads began to fail inexplicably. It was fine. I stored it in my closet in it's original packaging. When I went to show it to my friend, attempting to tell him how cool it was, I discovered only two pads worked. Sounds like they were just made poorly. And that's too bad, because I loved it up to that point. And have generally enjoyed korg products: I still rock my orig triton61.

I assume the nano2 is made better, but that is just an assumption.

Based on the two options you've listed I would pick the mpd. But that is the only way I would ever suggest an mpd.

Mpds have a design flaw: the sensor for each pad is directly in the middle of the pad, but does not fully extend to the corners. This can create some problems for reliable usage. Compare it to the padkontrol design where ANY part of the pad triggers the sound 100% of the time and you might understand how dissapointed I was with my very expensive mistake.

To be clear: an mpd can and has produced quality results. Many folks love them. But having compared the two I really don't think they are worth spending more money for a less reliable design.

My advice: if $ is an issue, pick up a used padkontrol. If your feeling a little more daring and don't mind postponing your purchase: I'd think about that new smaller maschine. It big brother is only nominally better than a padkontrol in terms of tactile response, but is light years ahead in terms of functionality and fun!

Much of what I said is only my opinion. But the sensor design is a fact (at least with the flagship mpd32, I haven't tried all of them) and I would encourage you to look it up yourself before the inevitable akai apologists start posting.

Hope that gets ya started.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

ive got an mpd 18, for 99$ you cant beat it.....its fine for what it does, bang out some drums, no more, no less...that said, i might wait for the maschine mikro just to have all your option covered.
Old 9th September 2011
Here for the gear

Nice one, thanks for your responses. The Maschine does look nice but it is $999 here in NZ while the nano 2 is 149 and the mpd is 199. I already have a 61 note controller keyboard with 8 sliders and 8 pots but I always find programming drum parts on keys a bit rubbish so cant really justify spending 999 just for some pads . Might have to go and have a look at both of them. Any more advice is welcome. Thanks again.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search