The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why do Vox sound shaky?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Why do Vox sound shaky?

I recorded some vocals with no effects on the track whatsoever. I got a nice, dry vocal that has strong delivery. By strong delivery, I mean when I solo the vocal, the words being said are all strong and there is no audible shakiness in any of the vocalist's words. However, when I play the vocals with the instrumental, even after raising the vocals to a considerably loud(er) volume, certain words sound shaky. I can't figure out the issue. Raising the vocal's volume any louder will simply ruin/destroy the whole mix. Like I said, when I solo the vocals, there is no shakiness whatsoever... but, when played with the instrumental, the vocalist's voice sounds like it was shaking on various words.

Could it be apart of the instrumental's mix? Maybe certain parts of the instrumental are overpowering these certain words which is resulting in the vocals sounding shaky?

Any help would be appreciated. I want to know why this is happening and if possible, how I can prevent it.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Any input?
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

hard to say without hearing it...'shaky' is a pretty loose term
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoak View Post
hard to say without hearing it...'shaky' is a pretty loose term
Certain words just sound quivery when played with the instrumental.

You know how we all get nervous sometimes when we may have to publicly speak? When speaking, sometimes our voices or certain words we say may shake or quiver due to nervousness (to digress, we may notice it much more intensely then everyone else listening). This quivering is heard in certain words in the mix when playing everything together (the vocals + instrumental). Once again, when soloing the vocals, there is no quivering or shakiness in any of the words.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

You probably have a synth/instrument part with a lot of modulation in the low end. If this is the case then your going to have to hipass it. Try cutting the melodic parts at 80hz by using a hipass filter then see what you're working with. Maybe the vocal has a low end rumble as well that needs filtering out. It wouldn't hurt to post snippets either you know

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search