The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anybody use an Octatrack?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anybody use an Octatrack?

I would love to see the hip hop community demo the Octatrack. Anybody??
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

mINE ARRIVED YESTERDAY AND IM STILL TRYING TO WORK IT OUT.tHERES A LOT OF POTENTIAL HERE IF I DONT GIVE UP LOL.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

One of the Guys I work with P.O.S. has an Octatrack, that being said I haven't seen him use it, but I know he loves it.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Goa, I hear there is a steep learning curve. Keep us posted!

Mr Dawson, 21 gun salute for your work! Is it going to be on the P.O.S. material? Have you been recording it?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

also really interested in the octatrack in an hiphop environment!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

When it comes to mangling a loop, all the videos I have seen sound unmusical.

What are some things you can do to a loop? What does it have over Ableton Live?
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Here's my soundcloud page. As far as I know I'm one of the few people using the Octatrack for hip hop. I'm not the best, but all this was live. Hope this helps!

CausticCrush's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Caustic Its giving me a better picture of what it does. Your tracks are older than the latest O.S. I assume with the new quantize features the swing is different now. Are you adding effects to the pads and bass you got going?
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Well, thanks! Um, I just took care of my OS to 1.02 last night. Always effects! Some was pre-OT to be sneaky. Each track has been an experiment to help me get to learn the different features:

1) The "instrumental" used quantized midi-in recording of notes, and midi grid sequencing as well as sample tracks...my buddy yelled out commands to perform to see if I could keep up with his improv.

2) The buttugly remix was vinyl sampling, spinning, scratching and chopping, while exploring the cue-out routing capabilities.

3) The "cankles" one was me first learning layout--all samples only. I have a dated video on youtube of what it looks like to perform this song. It always comes out different, and I even screwed up! Here it is:
Octatrack fat belly April/2011 - YouTube

You can actually associate which knob I use to manipulate it. It's pretty easy to go in any direction you want. Sometimes being restrained is the hardest!
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

yeah it'd be great to see some vids... i'd make them myself but don't have a decent camera :(

the latest update was a real killer for hip hop... unquantized recording...

i've been havin some reall fun using maschine as a controller to record beats in the octatrack... takes some effort to set up properly but after that it's craaaazzzyyy....

bash out some beats on maschine pads > record > resample to new track > glitch it! via retrigger, pitch, time stretch, LFO'S... all in realtime... composition seems to be a non-stop performance in itself!

thing is ... i still consider myself a noob when it comes to creative sampling... i would love to see what people sample and then what they do with it...

of course vocals are great... the 'burial' thing is mega easy to do on the octatrack that it feels like cheating... guitars too give great results... coupled with sequencing a nord!! i think it's production capabilities are frequently overlooked...
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

by the way... i found this that seems to be the best i could find! other than that it seems everyones busy using it and not enought time talking/posting about it!

Micah Frank | Sound Programming
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link Tian. Actually I found some interesting musical videos on youtube. One guy turned a melody into a bassline.

Otobot, it seems like the only thing I might be gaining is a tactile interface.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

ive been away from the ot for some days and i will give it another shot tonight.Fresh!!!!Gonna feed it some interesting loops....and see what happens.Biggest problem i can see is 1.all elektron stuff(md which i have too)imparts its own typical SOUND,which you have to go through and out the other side to find YOUR sound.Plus-and this is a big one for me......the manual makes little sense for actually simple tasks.We see what transpires..: ]
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ton splash View Post
Otobot, it seems like the only thing I might be gaining is a tactile interface.
It's also functions like parameter locks, trigless trigs, scenes, etc. that are unique and how they are accessed and manipulated via the interface. The Octa somehow manages to unify incredible functionality (not only for a hardware box) with a fantastic human machine interface. Oh man I sound like a salesman or something, but I can't find any better words to describe what makes it so special IMO.
Also the OT doesn't need any computer to run compared to something like Live and everything is set and mapped to be controlled from the get go... all in one box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
......the manual makes little sense for actually simple tasks.We see what transpires..: ]
Agree, I'm not a fan of the manual. A complex device like OT needs a better manual.
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Bump, as I am interested by the Octatrack as a mangling sampler.

Thanks
Old 16th January 2012
Lives for gear

so any more comments on the octa for hip-hop??
the new OS looks dope, but i'm really curious how it compares to an MPC workflow?
people on the elektron forum seem to say sampling is still akward etc..
i do have the MD btw but never use it for hip-hop
Old 17th January 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

I was having this exact discussion with a buddy of mine last weekend. He is a drummer and records drum loops then OCTA all over that audoi. I have to say a lot of potential! I had a play but really couldn't get into it in the time i had! Live can do all that jazz but not as easily. You need to set up effects racks and open loop envelopes then record the audio or create your own midi instrument and trigger the same effects racks on the envelope as midi. Not sure how deep it goes..but will keep an eye..
Old 11th February 2012
@ godphaser:

New trig modes let you use the Octa more like an MPC/SP.

Chromatic trig mode (like 16 pitch levels):
enables easy chromatic playback of a sample from the trig keys. When a sample is triggered in this mode, the playback pitch parameter is temporarily locked to a semitone in the range -12 to +12.

Slots trig mode (use trig keys like MPC pads):
is a way to get quick access to all the slots of the machine type enabled on the current track. By pressing a [TRIG] key in this mode, you trigger a speci?c sample slot for the currently selected track. The slots are divided into 8 pages of 16 each, which can be toggled using the [SCALE] key.

The added DAW functionalities (especially compared to a SP1200) I meant are streaming long playbacks from CF card, the Midi tracks, editing features, parameter locks, trigless trigs, scenes, etc...

But like I indicated in the MPC Ren thread, since update 1.1 and the new trig modes, the Octa somehow feels like a modern day SP1200.

Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Really interesting, you've just increased by 10x the "I want one" factor.
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0t0b0t View Post
But like I indicated in the MPC Ren thread, since update 1.1 and the new trig modes, the Octa somehow feels like a modern day SP1200.

Maybe,but it would be more so if it had the sliders fore each track and 8 outs.Sold mine but want another again.Got a great tone for sampling drums.And the sequencer is tight fluid..Still its got some ways to go.What do you think of the build quality otobot,knobs ect?
Old 11th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by godphaser View Post
Really interesting, you've just increased by 10x the "I want one" factor.
I say at least try one and see if it is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs View Post
Maybe,but it would be more so if it had the sliders fore each track and 8 outs.Sold mine but want another again.Got a great tone for sampling drums.And the sequencer is tight fluid..Still its got some ways to go.What do you think of the build quality otobot,knobs ect?
Ok, it has only four outs, but with the new "Studio" mode you can use all 4 outs like single/stereo coupled outs. And much of the external tone shaping needed with an SP can be done inside the Octa.
The build quality is rock solid. Metal case, very tight encoders, fader and buttons. Did you have problems with the build quality of the one you sold?
Old 11th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

Ok, it has only four outs, but with the new "Studio" mode you can use all 4 outs like single/stereo coupled outs. And much of the external tone shaping needed with an SP can be done inside the Octa.

whoa, sound really good now! hm....
Old 11th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The build quality is rock solid. Metal case, very tight encoders, fader and buttons. Did you have problems with the build quality of the one you sold?
No probs with mine.I also like to shape the sounds mix in the MPC/Octotrack.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search