The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can I get classic P-Bass tone from Trilian? Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can I get classic P-Bass tone from Trilian?

I don't have much money. Would like to achieve P-Bass tone similar to Marco Polo basses.

Money is tight. I would either get the Squier Affinity P-Bass or Spectrasonics Trilian.

If I buy Squier it would have to go directly to Mbox Pro (3) DI in...

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is P-Bass right? Like one note spread on 16 MP pads right?
Boot Camp Clik He Gave His Life - YouTube

Thanks. Topic gets a bit boring but that's my final decision...

P.S. I KNOW it's the man not the machine!
Old 8th September 2011
Hey there,

I have both Trilian and an American P-Bass. Yes it is a P-Bass in the video.

Pros of Trilian:

So many synths to choose from, on top of the P-Bass sound in it.
Can be programmed, easy to switch the sound to something different.

Con:

Because you are programming, it might sound programmed (depends on the programmer though).

Pros of P-Bass:

You get THAT sound right from the bat.
Sounds natural, organic, with the human touch, very hard to beat that feel

Cons:

It needs a decent chain, Good pre and converters. (this is personal preference, but I can hear a difference and to me it's worth it).
You need to be able to play well, on time, to a click etc.
Limited sound, can't do synths like Trilian, can't be programmed (well, you know what I mean).

I use both in the studio, I can't live without either, because it depends on the song, the genre, the sonic goal. Since I like to program, I would go with Trilian, but I am not you, I do not know your needs, and I don't know how many times you will use either. Some of the Squier basses are pretty decent for the price, I suggest you try them first, and you change the strings if they are stock.
Old 8th September 2011
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-cd View Post
I don't have much money. Would like to achieve P-Bass tone similar to Marco Polo basses.

Money is tight. I would either get the Squier Affinity P-Bass or Spectrasonics Trilian.

If I buy Squier it would have to go directly to Mbox Pro (3) DI in...

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is P-Bass right? Like one note spread on 16 MP pads right?
Boot Camp Clik He Gave His Life - YouTube

Thanks. Topic gets a bit boring but that's my final decision...

P.S. I KNOW it's the man not the machine!
You can definitely get that sound with Trilian.

I just went through the Trilian patches and the TR- Hip Hop mute or pick sounds spot on...

as far as the MP pads...it might be 16 levels on pads.. it might have been keys..doesn't really matter.. you can get that same result either way
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thank you Chris, you're a good man!

What I'm curious about is this bassline played or it's just one note spread on 16 pads? I think I just like a little bit cleaner sounds than filtered vinyl samples...I know I would probably need to low pass Trilian/Trilogy (or Rob Papen SubBoomBass) anyway but you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
as far as the MP pads...it might be 16 levels on pads.. it might have been keys..doesn't really matter.. you can get that same result either way
Oh, there you go! Thank you!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

From those marco polo beatmaking vids on youtube, it appears he doesnt play bass, and just samples a bass note and does 16 levels on his mpc pads, playing it on there. So if thats the sound you want, you dont need a real bass. I've never used trilian, but I hear its the most realistic samples, so they would a good place to get your bass notes from to program and do it that way.

You can also do the same with a real bass though. Sampling your own notes, and it would give you a lot more flexibility. The difference being trilian's basses were probably recorded with American Fenders in an expensive studio through a high quality chain. So the quality of the trilian samples will probably greater than that of a Squier recorded into an mbox. But they also will sound more polished/clean and digital. If your going for a marco polo sound, I would say a raw recording of Squier might be more authentic. I think getting a bass guitar is a better investment in the long run. There's something about having multiple instruments in a mix that gives it dimension. yeah, technically trillian is recordings of a real bass which is a different instrument than synth, but they are both still digital software. Adding a real bass is going to add an analog element to the mix and, imo, even if not the best bass in the world, will have more of a presence in the mix than a software program.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search