The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How long do you spend on an average beat?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm a very slow worker and am always fighting loop mode. How long does it take you guys on average to finish an entire beat? Trying to get a gauge on how slow I really am.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just go until I get bored with it, if its finished its finished, but usually its not. So I go onto something else. If the idea was really any good to begin with, I'll come back to it later and add some more until I get bored with it again, and so on. Eventually they all get done. Point is no need to rush and dont force it. If your stuck, move on. When you got an idea, lay it down. Otherwise your just dicking around wasting time/energy that could be spent on another track that you are feeling at the moment. Or something completely aside from music. Unless you get paid per note per hour, no need to force a beat into completion if its not ready, just let it happen naturally. Plus, the breaks in between are crucial to sparking ideas anyways.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sorry for the non-answer. But I have ranged from something like 10min to a year later or longer. (no not straight through, and not counting mixing)
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

On average give me an hour 2 tops if its the reg hip hop tracks of today no samples the beat would be fully arranged with verses and hooks .. r&b tracks bout 4 or more hours depending on song arrangement and instrumentation .. I don't finalize nothin until vocals are laid on the track . And if the voice permits it I may add extra production for added hype .. this is all based on real time sessions

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Between 10 minutes and 3 hours depending on the track. Sometimes ideas flow quickly sometimes they don't.
Old 9th September 2011
for the whole instrumental its about one week.

creating, sound designing, arranging, ruff mixing.
I need the timeouts in between. So I'd say I work on one beat in a week for a few hours a day. Maybe 20 hours in a sum. I actually cant understand how it is possible to do a full beat in a couple of hours
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

i'd say around 4-5 hours, up to a few days... unless it's some all-quantized keyboard garbage

in which case 10 mins tops
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Head

It's all on your experience if your new to this it would take u longer .. or if ur just doin it to do it . It will take u Longer .. for those of us who get paid to doit it has to be done in the tyme the clients money will allow. And most clients don't have the money or tyme for u to take a week just to make one beat..

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
I try not to make average beats.

lol sry
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

First draft: ~0.5-1 hr -- basic parts and structure.

Finished arrangement: 5-10x that -- lots of changes and more complex parts and structure.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

on a different note one of my followers told me he makes 72 beats a week. My guess is he spends about 5 minutes on each one.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I am sampling, including finding the sample (up to 2 hours, as little as 5-10 min), chopping the sample (up to 30 min), and actually mixing it well (1 hour or so on top of mixing as I go), it can take me up to 6-7 hours. But the actual beat making only takes about 1 hour or so, more if I am being a perfectionist.

For composed, it takes me anywhere from 30min to and hour for something simple to 6 hours if I am being a perfectionist. As I am starting to mic stuff and process stuff analog, that can take another few hours but I do that at a later time.

In general, I know I need at least 2 hours to get something going with no distractions. Before I hit that mark, I find I can't really hit any stopping point to come back to.
Old 9th September 2011
I have a really hard time making beats, I tend to produce full instrumentals.

For a lot of the songs (not always), the lyrics and melodies are written/sung first, then modified, worked and re-worked (Sometimes I don't even write the songs on a piece of paper, I'm sure you've heard some artists/rappers who do that). I usually focus on a solid chorus hook first, then verses etc.

Then I let the song sit for a couple of weeks, even months. And if I still think about the song after that time, I will start making an instrumental around it. I usually produce the music for the full song, then automate the synths, effects etc at the very end. It can take about 4-5 hours to a couple of days, depending on the feel of the track.

I work on dynamics/drops/ear catching changes as I am creating the instrumental. The last thing I want is to add dynamics or effects while mixing, I really don't want to do that. All the effects etc, are added as I am producing.

Before I record the vocals, I prefer to perform the song at a show/club, so I can get an overall reaction of the crowd, see if they're into it or not, and see if I'm able to sing the same song, show after show without straining my voice.

Then I record vocals, fix, compress EQ etc, then get the levels of each instrument and vocal to a good level. I will work on the mix until I can hear the song from start to finish without interruption/tweaking etc, knowing that I've done the best I could. I am really nit picky and I don't want to be criticized on the mix, I want it to sound just right, it's always a challenge!

To summarize, when I make full songs:

I write songs that I think people will want to hear over again. I put myself in the fan's perspective. I know my demographic very well and I try to create a song they wish they had song on their ipods.

I engineer critically, so I can make sure that I bring the song up to it's highest sonic potential. I put myself in the audiophile/engineer's perspective.

Now if you are a beatmaker only, I strongly suggest that you focus instead on full instrumentals, with changes, drops etc. It makes the music less repetitive and helps your chances of selling. Also, if you can sing/write etc, add that hook on the track! They can or might still buy the song without your added hook, but at least it will interest the buyer right away and give them a perspective of what can be done to the music.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Head

Do you guys ever have an issue where you come up with a sick melody, or a real nice sample arrangement, yet can't find room for variation or additional instruments? I seem to get stuck in loops.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw842 View Post
Do you guys ever have an issue where you come up with a sick melody, or a real nice sample arrangement, yet can't find room for variation or additional instruments? I seem to get stuck in loops.
Never did before, but recently its happened to me a lot!!! Case of writers block, semi writers block i guess!
Old 10th September 2011
2 to 4 hours,then i give it a rest and come back in a day or two with fresh ears to see if anything needs to be changed.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. Kaye View Post
I just go until I get bored with it, if its finished its finished, but usually its not. So I go onto something else. If the idea was really any good to begin with, I'll come back to it later and add some more until I get bored with it again, and so on. Eventually they all get done. Point is no need to rush and dont force it. If your stuck, move on. When you got an idea, lay it down. Otherwise your just dicking around wasting time/energy that could be spent on another track that you are feeling at the moment. Or something completely aside from music. Unless you get paid per note per hour, no need to force a beat into completion if its not ready, just let it happen naturally. Plus, the breaks in between are crucial to sparking ideas anyways.
This is about as good advice as you can get. I do pretty much the same.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search