The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Protools 9 Native - best interface under $600 Audio Interfaces
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Protools 9 Native - best interface under $600

I've read a couple of threads on opening up PT9 to the world of uninhibited interfaces , most jump straight to your higher end gear like metric halo, apogee. rosseta 200 Etc.

These are great, but what about those of us with mid level studios, restricted budgets, but still a thirst for the best sound for our buck.

What are the alternatives to say the mbox 3 at around $500-600 ?

Or ecen the mbox3 mini at around $250-300 ?

For that price can you get a unit with better pre's and possibly more i/o's ?

This is more about what possibilities a native pro tools opens up for the same costs as the avid equivalent and can we do better ?

Would really like to hear some opinions & expertise on this.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

If you're working on a mac, get a duet 2. Really though, you have to answer a few questions first:

1)Mac or PC
2)How many I/O do you NEED?
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I was keeping it a little open so it could be a point of future reference for people with the same questions, with native PT I would assume a lot will come to this line of thinking at some point.

For me personally , pc and I can deal with 4/4, midi is a bonus but not necessary.

I was thinking along the lines of similar i/o's the avid counterparts but possibly better pre's.

My initial thoughts leaned towards, focusrite, presonus, alesis, but my knowledge on these is limited ..
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Addict

I still recommend the M-Audio Profire 610 for a budget interface. Solid drivers and nice routing capabilities with plenty of I/O and 2 solid pre's.....
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So would you put that up against the Safire pro 24 ?

Anyone able to make a comparison between these two ? And either of these and the mbox ?
Old 8th September 2011
For PT, the level of integration the Mboxes give makes them hard to beat. The dsp for reverb while low latency tracking, the pres are way better than previously (and whilst I've not A/Bed them I can't seeing a several years old M-Audio product being better), the conversion is upgraded and so on.

If you were mac, or using logic, it might be different. But for PT the "all in one" option is a much better idea.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

thanks psycho , do you think that avid has still "downgraded" the mini's as we are all pretty sure they have in the past ?
Old 8th September 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

love the Focusrite pro 40 with PT 9
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

hey RTR any idea whether the models with less I\O's still use same pre's\coverters .. i just don't need that many ins
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
Since this is the Rap forum, im assiming (could be wrong, but just assuming) that you are going to be recording no more then 1 or 2 vocalists at a time. For that reason, im guna say Duet 2 would be a good thing to look into.
Old 8th September 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious View Post
hey RTR any idea whether the models with less I\O's still use same pre's\coverters .. i just don't need that many ins
As long as it is the "Saffire" line I am sure they are the same..I just sold my liquid saffire 56 and outside of the 2 liquid pre's the rest were the same as on my 40, I play real drums and other instruments sometimes in my music so I wanted to have enough i/o just in case...it is good to have spare i/o's just in case...you never know when you might find a person with a drum kit and you want them to lay a beat down for you!
Old 8th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo View Post
Since this is the Rap forum, im assiming (could be wrong, but just assuming) that you are going to be recording no more then 1 or 2 vocalists at a time. For that reason, im guna say Duet 2 would be a good thing to look into.
Op is on pc...
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoRillo

Op is on pc...
If you didn't want to go the Mbox route then I would check out the RME Babyface great interface but I think its $750..
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak View Post
If you didn't want to go the Mbox route then I would check out the RME Babyface great interface but I think its $750..
yep the RME is a great interface
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yea the babyface is sweet, little outta my budget on this one though..

My thoughts are, do I go PT9 and later get a new interface, possibly even the RME , or has avid improved the mbox 3 enough to be worth while gettin that first and the PT update later ??
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I hear a few suggestions for the Duet 2. Does this mean that they worked out all the bugs people were experiencing?

If not I couldn't recommend that interface at all. Duet 1, while not sounding as good as 2, still beats it if only for the fact that it remains a lot more stable.
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I tried the duet this week, while I 'liked' the sound for listening purposes, I felt like the DA sounded hyped and not very neutral. And to the poster above, I also ran into some osx lion issues...
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Maniac

A lot of ppl swear by a duet, im on pc so it's out for me..
But I have heard people state the duet tops the Moto ultralite , and otera claim mbox3 is far off par with the duet, does that mean mbox3 tops te ultralite ??

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search