The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Rates. tracking VS mixing. Sequencers (HW)
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Studio Rates. tracking VS mixing.

As im getting ready to start building up my clients again here in Ireland, I wanted to get some advice from you guys..

I noticed a lot of studios recently charging really low rates for full day in the studio, etc. some pretty decent studios too. These guys dont offer mixing in this price obviously.

How does this work generally, you just track the songs and give it to the client unmixed, i hate doing that, i always do some sort of mix on it.. What ways do you guys do it.. One studio was charging 100 Euro for 12 hours, like how the feck can you make money at them rates...

What are you guys charging for mixing these days?
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear
You can see exactly how I price mixing here: www.feistychicken.com/studiorates

You have to take into consideration not just the quality of the studio, but the quality of the engineer as well when evaluating your competition.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realziment View Post
As im getting ready to start building up my clients again here in Ireland, I wanted to get some advice from you guys..

I noticed a lot of studios recently charging really low rates for full day in the studio, etc. some pretty decent studios too. These guys dont offer mixing in this price obviously.

How does this work generally, you just track the songs and give it to the client unmixed, i hate doing that, i always do some sort of mix on it.. What ways do you guys do it.. One studio was charging 100 Euro for 12 hours, like how the feck can you make money at them rates...

What are you guys charging for mixing these days?
like with photography
digital technology as made gear cheap
so every wannabee home hobbyist
can , and many do , offer their services as "professionals"

customers like cheap stuff
so the surfeit of studios that pop up daily if not hourly
cause rates to sink like a rock
as they try to compete to get a share of a smaller market
because people can DIY with gear being so cheap

as to mixing
plenty of people doing it for $10 a song
so the low end competition has driven down mixing rates too

even high end rates are way down over ten years ago

basically the entire pyramid has sunk and flattened
so rates will stay down for a long time
and probably continue going lower
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

I will let the artist track for free if I am doing the mixing. That solves many problems and helped me find a slot in my market. Not the best method for many but it works for my market.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Most of the studios I frequent, which are rarely high end, charge an hourly rate for tracking and a flat rate for mixing either a song or album. Reason being, they will revise mixes but not tracking. Most places will do a quick mix, something you could release if you wanted, but probably want some more time spent, at an hourly rate with no revisions.

I have found with tracking, a low rate per hour vs. high may not be that important and many have tried to capitalize on that. Many producers, for example, need to just pay their rent, and after that, they are so quick to book sessions. They have no intention of mixing down your song and will refer you to somebody else, even though they do a good job. I have yet to hear a "budget studio" mix well, there are a few people I know who have taken the risk of trying it and they had a 1 day turn over on an album. Needless to say, they went elsewhere.

When I talk to people, they will more often go to who they trust, regardless if it is mixing or just tracking, or both, without a big concern about price. They have a budget but know who can do what on that. So, even cats I know with a small budget don't always go cheap, cats I know with a big budget don't always go expensive, it's just what they feel they get the best for their money.

I am just speaking as an outsider. At first, I let low prices turn me off of places, but found some great spots on the cheap for tracking. I found some more expensive places sucked, or the engineer was hard headed, or did more than I wanted, eating up time. That is for tracking. For mixing, I am not in control of that, but there are a few people I trust and they cost about the same.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search